General Fiction posted February 8, 2018 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The problem is solved.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

A Solution

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges, but she does create solutions.

"Mom, don't let on that you are talking to me, please, this is important. I am at Mrs. Armstrong's house. We would both like it if you could come over, so we can talk without all the guys being around. It is only a short bus ride and she makes great hot chocolate and cookies." There was a pause while she took a deep breath. "I did have supper and I am sorry that I lied to you, but I needed to talk to her and apologize for something I did."

There was silence as Andrea listened to her mother. The look of dread changed to a smile, and finally she handed the phone to me, so I could provide the address and bus number.

She promised to be there in about thirty minutes, explaining that she would just tell her husband she was going out to see a friend. After all it was sports night on the TV, so she usually caught up on chores.

I could see Andrea relax with relief for a few minutes, then she tensed again.
"What do I tell her? How do I tell her? Oh my God, I can't tell her."

"Yes, you can, and you will. Start out with the test and the apology that you felt you owed me. I will let her see the test and give her a chance to look at the doodles. Let's give her some time to see if she can interpret them. Then you will go on to explain what has been happening with your uncle. Now, I think we both know that she is not going to go back home, scream at your dad and kick your uncle out. Unfortunately, life doesn't always work like that. But I have a suggestion, that I will share after your mother knows everything. Okay? Just relax."

It was easier said than done; but her expression changed to relief when her mother arrived. I had once again called security to advise them of Sarah's arrival. They rushed into each other's arms and hugged for a while. Mother rocking her baby and muttering soothing words.

"I am Sarah and I am so grateful that you opened your home to Andrea and now to me. I know from the nature of her call that something has happened, and it is serious. Again, thank you Mrs. Armstrong." She grasped my hand, rather than a shake.

"First, it is Jacqueline or as my friends prefer Jax; that's friends not students, Andrea. I am just glad that she felt she could trust me enough to call. Let's go into the kitchen, it's more homey than the living room. And I do have hot chocolate brewing."

As planned, Andrea explained about the test from yesterday and that she had apologized. I handed her mother the test which Andrea had scored 100%. I took the time to explain that the tests were meant as review material only. Her mother looked over the test and the doodles. She frowned at several of them. Then she spoke to her daughter.

"Honey, this isn't you. I have seen your art work and you doodle all the time, but they are pleasant things. Not dark like this. Something is bothering you. Tell me, I promised not to get angry, tell me, please."

Andrea shared her story of her uncle's behavior, adding a few more details, and of her concerns. Sarah gasped in shock to what was being said.

"Oh, Andrea, we will figure something out. You know that I just can not ask him to leave. He is your fathers' older brother. He was his support system when he was ill. He feels like he owes him. I am so sorry that he is behaving like that and that you didn't feel you could talk to me. We will think of something to fix it."

"Mom, it wasn't that I didn't feel like I could talk to you, there just wasn't any private time. I am sorry if I made you feel bad."

"Well, he is just a damn, old pervert as far as I am concerned. I wish I could just slap him upside the head."

We all laughed, as we sipped the hot chocolate, which was not laced with brandy. It was nice to have laughter in the house again.

"I have a possible solution. Since, we all know that he will not be in your apartment forever or at least we hope so; Andrea needs a place to stay. She needs to be able to feel safe so her studies will not be affected. It is not realistic to try to explain things to her dad, so unfortunately it will be necessary to lie a little. Now you do know that God will forgive a little white lie of protection."

They both looked bewildered as they wondered what I was talking about.

"First step is to tell everyone that she has been offered a great opportunity, Andrea you will have to do this and yes I know it means seeing him again. For tonight, Sarah you will just tell her dad that she is staying with friends- a girl's night out. Tomorrow after church, I will drive Andrea to her home, so she can tell her story. I won't bother going up, in fact I will park up the street."

They both hunched forward, listening intently.

"The story will be that there was a posting on the school bulletin board seeking someone to be a live-in babysitter for two school aged children. Room and board in exchange for evening and weekend care. She would have every second Saturday afternoon off, so she could visit family. She would have to move in on the Sunday. After she thought about it for Friday and Saturday she realized it would make life easier at home. Her parents had their bedroom, the boys had theirs and Andrea's room could then be used by her uncle. If he doesn't feel guilty about her sacrifice, then he truly is a mean old man."

"But there isn't any such posting, and I don't have anywhere to go!" Andrea exclaimed.

"The three of us know that, and only the three of us. Oh, by the way, there is a board, way down past the deans' office for jobs etc. With security being as great as it is, no one from your family except you, Sarah, can get in. I will make sure you are both on my list of approvals. So, Andrea can stay here. I have the second bedroom, lots of food and I will enjoy the company. Of course, you will not be able to tell anyone at school; you don't need to struggle through being 'a teacher's pet'. What do you think? A great plan isn't it?"

Both had dropped jaws.

"It is so crazy that it will work."

After a few minutes of stunned expressions, we worked through the details. Andrea's contribution would still be maintained by her family. She could still save whatever she could from her monthly stipend. It was great that her course check also included an unlimited transit pass.

She would pop into the apartment while everyone was at church and pack up her bedroom. All of her things would be stored in my car. And after her story, while they ate lunch, she would be ready to go. She could even explain that she took the job, had been interviewed on Saturday and accepted the offer of the husband to pick up her things, which he had done.

"Mom, can we pack up my sheets and store them in the closet? And can we get a mattress cover for the bed? When I come home, I want my bed back, not his old stink."

"How about, when he leaves he can keep the bed and dresser and drapes. I think you deserve a new set after this and I will make sure your sheets are safe."



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.