General Fiction posted January 16, 2018 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Disciplinary choices.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Trouble #3

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, has to gain control of her class and decides there is hope or maybe not.
It was a pleasant surprise to have them all back at their desks by 1300. They came directly in at 1255 and sat. There was no chitter chatter. They were well behaved and eager to go.

We spent the afternoon with more questions and answers. It became a challenge to see who could come up with the creative questions and who could provide the most productive answer. I threw in questions of my own from time to time.

Mid-afternoon at 1430 was another 'stretch and release' time. No explanation was needed this time. The end of the day came at 1600 and class was dismissed. I reminded everyone to review what they had learned under the direction of Mrs. Trenton.

My two bad boys sat silently in their chairs.

"Well, gentlemen, I have several choices I can take. I could have each of you write out on separate blackboards 'I will not call other classmates names' one hundred times. I could have you both spend an hour all this week in a detention class, it would give you time to do homework. I could punish the one who started this or on the other hand I could punish the one who finished it. I could, of course, report both of you to the Dean which would be the same as reporting you to the Principal. I could let each of you decide your punishment, which you could write out and submit to me. I could let you both off with the understanding that behavior such as this would not be repeated nor tolerated. To do so would be automatic expulsion." I paused.

With each suggestion, I had watched the color changes in both faces. My last suggestion completely drained their color.

The minutes stretched by or at least it seemed to for the two men. At the ten minute mark they both simultaneously began to squirm in their seats. I pushed myself to wait fifteen whole minutes. Just when I was about to dish out their punishment and my rationale for such; my problem number three raised his hand. I nodded.

"Well, Mrs. Armstrong, it's like this. I know I goofed around in high school. Like everyone else I figured I would land an easy job and be set for life. It just isn't like that. The jobs I got were minimum wage, long hours-longer than I wanted and usually with no benefits. I am twenty-six years old and I have had at least ten jobs. The shortest was for two weeks before I quit and the longest was for two years before the business went broke. I have been on and off pogey so many times that they know me at the office. When they offered me this chance to return to school and get trained for a career I thought it was a great idea. But maybe I was wrong, maybe I should just leave and find what I can do for a while. I can always fall back on unemployment insurance or welfare. I am not good for this class." His head dropped, he pushed back the chair to stand. I stopped him.

"Please sit down for a few minutes. Now the way I see it, is that you are both adults so the idea of having you write on the chalkboard is just not going to work. Well it will make you dislike each other more and probably think I am a witch. Detention class is not a bad idea since you will get homework done but not appropriate. Neither is addressing who did what. So basically, I am left with sending you to the Dean and having you each decide your punishment. Oh, I forgot about letting you off with a warning."

They just sat there, waiting for doom to fall. One had already vented and verbalized his thought process and choices, the other sat silent.

"Okay since neither of you are jumping in to offer any ideas, I have decided that you are adults, trying to make your way in the world. Therefore, I am expecting you to both to behave as such in class, you will show respect for your fellow classmates and receive respect from them as well. You will put your 100% into your studies. I do not acknowledge nor accept failures and drop outs. Do you understand? Have I made myself clear?"

Their heads nodded in unison. The problem was solved, and I was confident that there would be no repeats. The clock read 1645, so I waved a hand towards the door as an act of dismissal. Nothing more was said, nothing more was needed. It was officially the end of day one.

I watched as they left the building; most of the other students had waited outside eagerly awaiting the outcome. They were all gathered around and listening to the two men. I was sure day two would bring a difference.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.