General Fiction posted January 5, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Just a childish little story

Friday Travels The World

by Heather Knight


Friday's life was boring. Friday, if you must know, was a turtle.

When she was little, she lived in a huge tank in a pet shop with lots of other tiny turtles.

One day, a red-haired lady with two children in tow came into the shop.

'Come on. Choose one,' the lady said.

Friday saw a little finger point at her and then a net lifted her out of the water. She shook her legs in fear. What was happening?

A moment later, a huge hand put her into a plastic bag. She floated the best she could and tried to maintain her dignity. Yes, believe me, baby turtles are very dignified.

Friday started a new life that day. They put her in a room they called the kitchen, inside a small aquarium that had a plastic island in the middle.

The children fussed over her and took her out all the time. She enjoyed her walks along the floor and the constant attention. She also enjoyed the abundance of prawns they fed her.

Time passed and Friday grew. The children grew too. The aquarium became small, but nobody bothered to buy a new one. The children still fed her, but they didn't fight over her. And they never took her out.

Friday started missing the shop and the other turtles. Then one day, a smelly animal walked into the house.

'Why did you buy a bunny without asking for permission?' the lady shouted at the girl.

'Because if I had asked, you would have said no.'

Friday had never seen a bunny before and was fascinated. For a few days, she watched the creature non-stop. The girl even introduced her to the bunny. Maybe she would start loving her again.

More time passed and Friday grew even more. Then a wonderful day came. She got a new home! A huge one with lots of water to swim in. She felt free again. Neglected, but free.

And then the girl bought a dog! Friday didn't know if that was good or bad. After all, their paths hardly ever crossed. She was inside the aquarium and the dog roamed the house freely.

From time to time, they talked, the way animals talk to each other, but the exchanges were short.

'How are you, Friday?' Becka would ask.

'Bored as usual. You?'

'Sleepy.'

One day, Becka asked Friday, 'Why are you bored?'

'I spend my entire life in this aquarium. And it's got too small for me again. I'd love to see the sea or at least a lake.'

Becka thought for a while and said, 'Let me see what I can do.'

That afternoon the girl filled the bathtub with water and then went to her room to wait for it to cool.

Becka had an idea. She climbed onto a chair next to Friday's aquarium and told her to jump on her back. Friday did as she was told. Remember this is a turtle in a story and animals in stories can do almost anything.

Becka ran to the bathroom and told Friday to jump inside.

'It's not the sea, but it's the next best thing.'

'Thank you, my friend. I'll never think badly of you again,' Friday said smiling. Yes, story turtles can smile as well.

I should tell you the girl came into the bathroom later and screamed at both Friday and Becka for misbehaving, but let's leave it at the happy ending. Why spoil our friends' enjoyment?



Recognized


We really have a turtle called Friday and a Westie called Becka, but so far I've never heard them talking to each other.

Club entry for the "Animals" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.