General Fiction posted December 25, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A city holiday

Hurts So Good Holiday

by randman58

The everyday gray of the neighborhood was this morning transformed by a fresh frosty coat of alabaster fluff, momentarily disguising it as an idyllic setting. Tommy thought to himself the surroundings at last suited the boxcar diner that held court in this gritty urban neighborhood. The area was much improved just in the year since he and his mother had moved here and the diner had stood out as a beacon of hope and community that was greatly responsible the area's upturn. There it sat glowing with the colors of the season like a jeweled centerpiece on a tattered linen tablecloth. He rushed on to his favorite place happy and anxious to share in its warmth and kinship; and the delicious food of course. But first he had to make one stop.



Meanwhile Dumpster Dave, as many in the neighborhood called him, continued on with his morning routine. Checking the fresh bandage covering the wound on his hand Dave stood at the edge of the alley that housed his makeshift hovel. Standing a bulking 6' 4", peering around the corner through a pull over hood covered by a full length weathered leather coat Dave was an imposing presence. His eyes followed the 10 year old boy from his front stoop as he made his way down the street.



To many in the neighborhood Dave was a suspicious character. They were wary of shadowy goliath that lurked in allies and roamed the streets at night. After all he never spoke, avoided eye contact, yet it always looked like he was watching everyone. The local police were made aware of locals concerns about Dave and watched him closely. The patrolmen that watched the area most often, like Bill Steadman, knew Dave was not a bad man and actually helpful to the neighborhood in many ways.



Every morning Tommy would roll out of bed at 5:30 to brush his teeth, comb his hair and dress. He would then rush out the door of the small apartment he shared with his mother, who had left for work two hours before, down three flights of stairs out into the bustling morning landscape. Walking along a row of brownstone behemoths before crossing at an intersection that passed under an overhead rail he would hurry along to his final destination, the diner. After all, he had a job to do and the place would fall apart without him. At least that is what Hurt had told him.



As Tommy approached the alley where he was standing Dave ducked back down about half way where his pallet and cardboard shack sat between the dumpsters that lined the alley, hence the name "Dumpster Dave". Facing away, Dave turned and acted surprised when Tommy called out his name.

"Mr. Dave!" Tommy called with a joyous holiday voice. "Merry Christmas!" he proclaimed.



The "Mr." was something Tommy learned from Drego the fry cook. Give respect to get respect, a courtesy that helps build warmth and camaraderie with the people you see every day. He would never consider using the term "Dumpster Dave". For that and many other reasons Dave was very fond of Tommy.



"Little early" replied the soft spoken giant. "Christmas is two days away."

The two shared a smile and continued to talk. Tommy did most of the talking. Dave never said much. He suffered from extreme shyness and anxiety. The once decorated veteran was frozen in silence, unable to speak as he was tumbled from his job and bounced from his home and family, finally deposited on the streets where he now lived. Dave found it almost impossible to face, let alone talk to people. Talking to children like Tommy was easier but still often difficult.



Also on the street that morning was Louisa Ruiz. She lived in the building next to Tommy with her son Paz and new Tommy and his mother well as she was a frequent visitor to the diner. The diner was a popular stop for all who lived in the neighborhood. Because of that there developed a familiarity between neighbors that you don't often see in urban areas.



After leaving an abusive drug dealer husband, who had up until recently had stalked and tormented her, Louisa was still raw with fear and apprehension. She was relieved when receiving a note of apology from her ex-husband explaining he would bother her no more. She could only pray that he had seen some sort of light and was telling the truth. Louisa and Sarah shared similar histories when it came to men. This helped the women form a bond, each keeping an eye on one another and their children.



Louisa followed Tommy with a watchful eye noticing him duck down the alley to visit Dave. Someone as aloof and strange looking as Dave had to be up to no good she thought. Warily watching the two for a moment she then hurried on to the diner to report to Tommy's mother Sarah.

The diner was bursting with an unusually boisterous morning crowd. The place was always full to overflowing in the morning, but typically most of the crowd was just waking and still half asleep, therefore much more subdued. Today was the last work day before the holiday for many of the patrons and their excitement and anticipation was palpable.



Louisa, after quick stepping it to the diner bustled through the door and straight up to Sarah, who had just finished taking an order. The two of them huddled and talked. As Louisa talked a concerned and frightened look spread across Sarah's face. The two counseled a moment longer before turning toward the counter looking for Hurt who was in a powwow of his own in the back.



"You know I'm sympathetic Hurt," offered Bill Steadman, the ranking patrolman for the neighborhood, "everything you say about him is true. But I can't have him living in that alley, even if you and Jimmy do own the building. I've had complaints and it's a safety issue. What if ice or something falls off the building and hits him? I would think that as an owner of that building you would want him moved too."



"I do," replied Hurt "but I want to move him to a more permanent place. Not just throw him back to the streets. There is a good man there, people don't realize. Jimmy and I are this close to having something ready for him."



"Well I won't do anything until after Christmas but December 26th that shack is coming down. If I can help in any other way please let me know. I will do what I can."



Just as they were finishing their conversation the two men heard a growing commotion out by the front counter. As he rounded the corner coming from the back Hurt was greeted by two concerned women. And that wasn't all. In less time than it takes to fry an egg the two ladies had managed to involve and excite several of the local residents. Upon seeing Hurt and Bill together the make shift mob launched into a flurry of accusations and pronouncements all aimed at Dave. They had him responsible for every bad thing that had happened in the surrounding area for the last six months, from lost bicycles to murder.



Officer Steadman and Hurt tried to let everyone know that they were working on a solution and that Dave was not the nefarious ne'er do well they had portrayed. The officer pointed out that Dave actually shoveled the steps of many of the buildings where these people lived never asking or expecting compensation for it. The now raucous crowd booed and hissed the officer down.



"That's it! Quiet down" the visibly perturbed Steadman barked back. "As Hurt and I told you, we are working on a solution to get Dave into some long time housing. Remember this, home or not he is still a citizen and provided all the protections as such. If I see anyone harassing or hurting Dave I will come down hard and fast on them. Come on people, it is Christmas. Be nice." Looking back at Hurt, giving one last disgusted shake of the head, Steadman cut a straight path through the now dispersing mini-mob. With a few last low rumbles the diner settled back down to its usual pleasant atmosphere.

As he breached the doorway of the diner Tommy oblivious of the insurrection that had justpassed. The place was alive with the normal chatter and the clinking of tableware. The smell of fresh baked rolls, bacon, and coffee always excited him, reminding him the first time he had entered the place with his mother; just a couple homeless nomads new to town.



After escaping a drunken abusive husband and step father they were deposited at the local bus station, which was as far as their money had taken them. With future uncertain they slipped into the diner with about enough money to buy a cup of coffee hoping only to get out of the frigid November weather for a moment. In typical "Hurts So Good Diner and Donut Shop" fashion they were immediately enveloped into the diner's family. The Hurt's family fed them, hired his mother Sarah on the spot and set them up in an apartment in a building Hurt had bought and was remodeling. In that moment their lives were changed forever from despair to one of hope and opportunity. It was the optimism born that day that guided Tommy moving forward.



"Morning mom" Tommy casually offered his mother as he then turned and boisterously blustered "Drego......Hurt" in a false baritone greeting.

Sarah's initial angst over Tommy's morning stop and disappointment with his lackluster acknowledgement toward her in comparison to the one given the men behind the counter gave way to a warm appreciation to for those who had mentored and cared so deeply for her son.



"bout time Slippery, garbage is building up!" Hurt growled while at the same time cracking a sinister grin.



"On it boss man." He replied setting out on his assigned duties.



"Let me guess...flapjacks and bacon?" asked Drego the fry cook. It wasn't much of a guess. That is what Tommy had just about every morning.



"Right on paison!" rhymed Tommy as he went about his chores. Pulling the full bags from the garbage cans and replacing them he then took all the garbage out the back door to the dumpster. Next he went about stacking all the early morning pans and plates neatly for Russ the dishwasher who would be in as soon as he got his kids off to school. This was perhaps the most important part of his job because the diner accumulated a lot of dirty dishes from 3:00 AM to 6:30.



With his duties completed Tommy bellied up to the counter facing the griddle just as Drego set a fresh stack of cakes and bacon in front of him. Moving the bacon to one side Tommy went about dressing his pancakes with plenty of butter and syrup before eagerly attacking his plate. The mere act doing a few chores to earn his breakfast seemed to make it much more satisfying.



"Good morning Hurts So Good Diner" announced Jimmy Smith as he came through the door.



"And donut shop too" responded Tommy, Drego and Hurt in chorus. They did this just about every day. Mr. Jimmy, as Drego and Tommy called him, grew up in this very diner. He was but a boy doing many of the same chores Tommy did now when he suggested to Hurt that he should make donuts too; "because everyone loves donuts." It sounded like a good idea so Hurt did it. What was a very good business exploded into a great business. The morning greeting was something Hurt had developed as a nod to Jimmy's contribution.



Jimmy was an astute young businessman in many ways. By saving his money and getting a start up loan from Hurt he started a small taxi and limousine service. Through his hard work and ingenuity the business grew into the second largest in the city. Wanting to improve the neighborhood, he and Hurt decided to invest into several of the historic apartment buildings that surrounded the diner. Their investment brought in other investors and before long the area was experiencing a renaissance, which in turn increased the value of their investments.



Every venture Jimmy entered was based on hard work and service to the community, not just profit. That he learned from John Lucy Hurt as a youngster and never forgot it. The Hurts were very proud of Jimmy, deflecting any credit for his achievements, always declaring that any success Jimmy had was by his own doing.



Hurt motioned for Jimmy to join him at the back baking counter. Hurt often held his impromptu business there. The two men huddled together in an intense but quiet meeting. Tommy watched the men. His momentary fascination with their conversation was soon lost to refocusing on his pancakes.

"Good plan," proclaimed an enthusiastic Jimmy as he turned back toward the counter "let's make it happen!" With a wink and mock pistol finger pointed at Tommy he headed for the exit. Tommy returned the gesture as he watched his friend leave, a little surprised by the briefness of his visit. He usually hung out for a little while in the morning. Tommy figured Jimmy must have some important business dealings this morning. And he was right.



Finishing his flap jacks Tommy motioned Drego to come over to the counter. With Drego close he quietly asked him to bring a cinnamon roll to go. Drego nodded and went about boxing up a giant roll. He then brought the box to the counter where Tommy then opened it up and scraped the bacon from his plate inside.



"You don't have to whisper you know." Drego offered. "As an employee here you can have whatever you want."



"It's not that" replied Tommy in a low voice. "It's my mom. This is for Mr. Dave. She doesn't trust him. It's because she doesn't know him. She would be upset if she knew I was taking him food and I don't want her to worry.



"Are you sure you should be going behind your mothers back?"



"I don't like to but he counts on me."



"Did he tell you that?"



"No. And I'm pretty sure that if he knew my mother disapproved he would refuse my help. I'm just doing it this way until my mom gets a chance to know Dave, and then she'll understand."



"You must tell her soon 'cause I cannot continue to be part of this!" a stern Drego instructed the young man.



"I will, I promise" offered an earnest Tommy "could I get a large hot coffee too."



Drego smirked and his head tilted to the side. With a shrug and a shake of the head he went about pouring the coffee. With goods in hand Tommy turned and hurried toward the diner door. With a quick "bye" to his mother, who was busy working, he jetted out the door to drop off Dave's breakfast before heading off to his last day of school for the year.



After school a charged up Tommy rushed from the bus to the diner, his Christmas vacation started. Upon entering the diner he went about his afternoon duties. He may have been on vacation from school but his work went on as usual. He didn't really consider it work as he enjoyed doing it, and would have done it for free. He and his mother usually finished up about the same time. They would then either grab a "to go" box from the diner, or after walking home together, would prepare something small there.



"What are your plans for your vacation?" asked Sarah as she and Tommy walked out the door of the diner.



"Oh... I don't know; probably do some sledding at Target Mountain. Then maybe some skating at the center. But mostly I will help out at the diner. It's really busy this time of year and you guys could use my help"



Target Mountain was nothing more than a pile of snow piled up at one end of a shopping center, whose largest store was a Target. The center was a community outreach building and YMCA. Every winter they would flood a vacant lot next to the building that was used as a community garden in the summer to make an ice rink.



Continuing on Sarah asked "Do you know what you want for Christmas?"



"Well I do kind of." Tommy was pausing because what he wanted most was for his mother to get to know Dave, sure that if she did she would realize what a good guy he was and not worry about Tommy being friends with him. This was a delicate subject and had to be approached with caution.

"Well...are you going to tell me?" pressed his mother as they crossed the boulevard near Dave's alley. And there he was standing looking in the other direction. What a piece of luck, for if Dave had seen Tommy and his mother approach he would have surely ducked into the alley. Tommy saw this as an opportunity and seized it.



"There is Dave mom. Come on, I want you to meet him." Tommy tugged at his mother's arm to hurry her along afraid Dave would turn and see them, then disappear.



"Tommy! You know how I feel about you talking to strangers." Sarah, visibly perturbed, protested as she pulled back against Tommy's encouragement. Tommy continued pulling her forward until they were just a few yards away from Dave.



"Hey Mr. Dave!" he called. Dave, recognizing Tommy's voice, turned with a big smile. The moment he saw Tommy's mother he stepped back and straightened up. Pulling his hood back he stood rigid as if he were about to salute. Dave's smile morphed to a look of fear; eyes wide and roaming as if looking for an escape.



"Mr. Dave, I would like to meet Sarah Parker, my mother. Mom, this is Mr. Dave, he doesn't talk much but he's great guy."



Both stood there in what seemed an eternity of silence, each looking circles around the other avoiding eye contact at all cost. She was surprised by his clean shaven neat appearance. She could not help but notice his rugged jaw line sympathetic brown eyes. Dave had difficulty talking with people under normal circumstances but being this close to such an attractive lady had him doubly perplexed. Tommy elbowed his mother to get her to speak first.



"Nice to meet you Mr. Dave." She finally offered. She could see that he was even more uncomfortable than her. "I hope you have a nice holiday." It was all she could think of to say.



"Miss..." Dave offered in return as he nodded and started to turn away. Inside a torrent of thought and emotion swirled, stealing the very air around him. These feelings brought up old uncomfortable moments that he had spent years trying to overcome. Turning back to her he had to speak...."You have a fine son Miss. You should be very proud of him." With that he turned back to alley and started away.



"Thank you," Sarah answered "I am." In that moment as she watched him disappear into shadows she could feel the man's pain, his gentleness, and the courage it took for him to engage in conversation, however brief, with another human being. This was not the despot some had portrayed him to be. And he certainly wasn't a bum, even if he did live on the streets. She could see why Tommy liked him so much and was now even more proud of her son for befriending this man; and ashamed of herself for discouraging it.



"You can visit Dave anytime you like ...within reason.... as long as you tell me first." Sarah told her beaming son who could barely control his glee. "Within reason!" she repeated as they continued home.



From the alley on the opposite side of the street someone was watching. It was Louisa's ex-husband Tony Ruiz. And in a cab on the corner was a man watching Tony watching Dave. Whatever Tony was up to the man in the cab could be sure of one thing; he was up to no good.



Christmas Eve morning was visited by another fresh layer of snow. As Tommy headed to the restaurant that morning he noticed two police cars in the neighborhood, a little unusual. He could see a crowd gathering, as they always do, trying to see what was going on. Figuring he could get the low down when he got to the diner he hurried on. Looking down Dave's alley as he passed to see if Dave was there he saw no one. Concerned now he hurried on to the diner to see what he could find out.



When arriving at the diner Tommy found a small self appointed posse gathering, proclaiming Dave a fugitive from the law. The leader of this group of "concerned citizens," as they called themselves, was Harvey Blake.



Harvey was seedy businessman who bought a couple properties here as the area started its turn around. He marketed the apartments as lofts; put a bistro-bar on the ground level selling twelve dollar martinis. Then he charged an extra 500.00 a month per unit. He had a hard time filling the units or bar and resented the fact that all of Hurt and Jimmy's units were always full.



Rumor had it that there were several break-ins the night before and there was an anonymous tip that they saw Dave carrying goods to his shack. Knowing that Hurt had been supportive of the homeless man all along, Harvey saw this as a perfect way to knock him off his perch as unofficial block authority. Hurt could care less about any of that, and told them as much, chuckling all the while. Tommy was worried for Dave and confused by Hurt's nonchalant behavior.



Many locals began filtering into the diner to learn, gossip or fume, each according to their point of view. Unnoticed in the gaggle was someone only familiar to two people there. He snuck in with a group and made his way over to a table where Sarah was working.



"Hi darlin'," Whispered the stranger as he grasped both of Sarah's arms and nuzzled up to her ear. "Did you miss me? I sure missed you."



"Bo?" a surprised Sarah responded trying to pull free and turn. "What are doing here?"



"I'm here for you!" Sarah's ex-husband held her more tightly as she struggled against his grip. "Feisty as always. Listen here now; it's time for my wife and son to come home."



"We're not going anywhere with you, you abusive prick!" Sarah screamed kicking Bo hard in the shin struggling mightily. They now had the attention of the whole diner, with several people rising to their feet to assist. Bo moved his left forearm up around Sarah's throat and squeezed hard. With his right hand he pulled a big buck knife out of a sheath attached to his belt. Tommy seeing his mother in danger tried to rush from behind the counter only to be scooped up in flight by Hurt.



"Now, everybody just take it easy," proclaimed the wild eyed Bo "and nobody will get hurt. I'm just here to bring my wife and son home, simple as that."

"Why?" groaned a struggling Sarah. "All you ever did was beat us, starve us and sell all of stuff to get more booze and drugs. Bo... we don't have anything left for you to take."



"You do have one thing left to take." Bo slid the blade of the across in front Sarah's eyes with a sneer. All the while he had been backing toward the exit and was nearly there.



"O.K. I'll go. But you don't want Tommy; he'll just slow us down." Sarah looked directly at Hurt. "Don't you let him go." She pleaded; ready to sacrifice herself to save her son.



"He's not going anywhere." proclaimed Hurt as he held on to a thrashing Tommy.



"You don't think so?" Bo looked directly at Hurt brandishing the knife. He thought for a moment. "Go ahead and keep him. He was always a whiney little squirt anyway."



Back almost to the door Bo felt a sudden whoosh of air as it opened. Turning to see who it was he caught just a glimpse of a huge leather coat before feeling a sharp pain in his right wrist. Suddenly now his left wrist felt a similar pressure. Both arms were yanked to the side almost popping them out of their sockets. There he was with his feet barely touching the ground and his arms spread like Jesus; and Dave was the cross.



Dave had been watching through the diners windows and waited for the perfect time to act. Starting to shake Bo's knife hand while squeezing so tight patrons could here cracking, if Dave wasn't breaking his bones he was certainly rearranging them. The knife soon fell to the floor. Now disarmed Dave folded Bo's arms one over the other, squeezing him hard in a bear hug, picking up off his feet forcing a groan and rush of air from Bo's throat.



"Call the cops." Dave flatly requested looking at Hurt. He then carried Bo outside using his face to push open the door. Once out Dave swung Bo side to side a couple of times like rag doll with his feet swinging higher each time. Swinging his feet high one last time Dave then stepped aside, putting a hand firmly on his chest, slammed Bo to the ground landing him on his back and shoulders. Dave then stood up straight and put a foot on Bo's chest looking like the conqueror he was.



The whole episode from Dave's intervention to the prostration of Bo took about 30 seconds. The diner was steeped in silence, the eye witnesses amazed and in awe of what they had just seen. Sarah was still trembling, her throat still hurting from Bo's rough treatment. But she wasn't afraid. As long as Dave was around she had a feeling that she would never be really afraid again.



Hurt released Tommy, who ran to check on his mother, so he could call Bill Steadman on his cell phone. He knew Bill was in the area and he wanted an officer who knew Dave to come so that there would be no misunderstanding. While talking with Bill someone pointed out that there were police lights on over by Dave's alley. Hurt asked Bill if that was him. Informing Hurt that it was probably Officer Robbins he then promised to be right over to pick up Bo.

After hanging up the phone Hurt went out front to check on Dave. There was a small crowd gathering around staring at Bo who was still lying on his back. Dave was staring at the flashing lights over by his alley home. Louisa's son Paz came running up with news.



"There is a cop over there with a tow chain pulling down Dumpster Dave's Shack!"



There was a mixture of groans and cheers, some even applauding. Dave's shoulders sunk and his head dropped down. Even after the heroic display Dave demonstrated this night there were those who cheered his misfortune. He didn't care about that. He just wondered where he would sleep tonight; maybe in jail.



Just as Officer Steadman was pulling up to the diner Hurt called Sarah and Tommy over for a talk. Bill got out of his and joined their conversation. No one noticed at first but Bill had a passenger in the back of his car, it was Tony Ruiz. When Louisa and Paz noticed him they huddled together wondering what this meant for them.



A moment later Officer Robbins pulled up just in time to see Bill handcuffing Bo. Bill instructed Robbins to put Bo in the back of his car, then get Tony out of the back of Bill's car and take them both to the station. Before he left Bill took Robbins to the back of one of the patrol cars and thoroughly dressed him down for pulling down Dave's shack.



Not to be left out Mr. Jimmy came driving up in one of his cabs. As he joined Hurt and Bill a group gathered around them. Bill explained that it was Tony who had broken into several places and the called in the tip that it was Dave. Someone else called in a tip saying it was Tony. Bill said Tony seemed genuinely surprised when they found all the stolen items in his car, apparently blurting out they could not be there as he had placed them in Dave's shack himself. When hearing this Jimmy looked at Tommy and gave a wink and trigger finger.



Explaining that he would be charging Bo with attempted kidnapping and murder, stating that he come back the day after Christmas to get complete statements. He then turned to Dave, telling him that he would have to go with him as a material witness, explaining that he would have a warm place to sleep tonight at least. Dave calmly followed the officers orders sure that he would never see any of his meager belongings again. As they pulled away Steadman looked at Hurt and nodded.

As they drove away the crowd grumbled. Hurt had heard enough.

"You know.." Hurt spoke up "Luce and I love this neighborhood. We have loved watching the turn around here. I remember when this wasn't such a nice area. Many of you do too. We have worked hard to make this a better place. We did it by looking out for each other and taking pride in our work and our neighborhood.

"Now I understand Harvey Blake drawing instant conclusions on a guy like Dave. He likes to think he's a little above everybody and picking on a guy like Dave helps build himself up...he thinks...so he can try to sell over priced "lofts" and $12.00 martinis. But I know where most of you come from. Look around, some of us here have been pretty close to being homeless ourselves.

"And by the way, has anyone wondered why there has been less thefts and virtually no drug dealers around here. It's because Dave walks the neighborhood at night and scares them away. Has anyone noticed the wound on his hand. He got that in a fight with Louisa's husband. He beat him good and made him right a letter of apology to her. That's why Tony tried to set him up."

The crowd took on a silent somber tone, several staring at the ground in shame.

"How could we Know he wasn't just a bum?" offered Harvey trying to defend his actions.

"you could have asked" snapped Hurt. "I knew. Steadman new. Let me tell you something else. You better get use to seeing him around because Jimmy and I got an apartment ready for him just off his alley. That little below grade store front with the windows in the front. Bill is going to be dropping him off there in about twenty minutes. A good neighbor might want to welcome him home."

Having said his piece Hurt and Jimmy walked off, heading to Dave's new apartment. Finishing up a few final touches while waiting for his arrival they made sure his few precious belongings that they rescued from his shack were set neatly out for him on the table. The place was small but clean. It had a bed, refrigerator and bathroom with a shower. That was a lot than Dave had in some time.

When seeing Bill's police car pulling up they went out to greet Dave. Walking up the steps to the street they were greeted by a lively throng. It seems Hurt's words must have sunk in because everyone from the neighborhood was out to welcome Dave home. They brought treats from their homes, sang Christmas carols and congratulated Dave on his homecoming. As fine a house warming as this block had ever seen.

From that day forward Dave was not only welcome; but was a celebrity. Always a quiet man he would nod in response to greetings. Dave had to do a lot of nodding.







�??�?� 



Christmas Story contest entry


it's a bit long, it's not done and there is probably a million mistakes. Started it late and it ran long . Ran out of time so here it is. The ending is hurried.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. randman58 All rights reserved.
randman58 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.