Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 10, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Detecting

FOW Play Chapter 2

by Marvin Calloway

Last lines of Chapter 1

Being assigned to assist 'Old S.B.,' Amanda's pet name for the soon-to-be-retired detective, was just what she had been hoping for. The head of the department was quick to explain exactly why she had been chosen.

. . . to keep 'Stickler' from getting caught up in endless minutia,” which was his usual Modus Operandi.

                                                Chapter 2

   Observing Ms. Doherty's dilemma was Herman Sterling, the bank manager. As soon as he had seen her alight from what was apparently an unmarked patrol car, he had hurried from his office to the bank entrance, arriving just in time to offer his assistance to the distraught yet attractive woman.

He proceeded to extricate her from the straps and the door handle and carried all the items, with the exception of Ms. Doherty, to the freestanding service counter at the center of the lobby.

The detective joined them and, after introductions were made, asked of the forty-ish appearing manager, “I was wondering if there's a room where I could conduct my investigation.”

Mine too,” added Ms. Doherty.

I meant the both of us, Ms. Doherty,” giving her a look of exasperation.

Mr. Sterling immediately led the detecting duo to an empty office on the left side of the lobby.

The bank manager, anxious to return to his office on the other side of the lobby said, “I hope this will do.”

It will do fine along with a cup of coffee,” said the detective, ready to close the door on him. "By the way,” he asked the manager, “How long has the thief been . . .”

Don't you mean murderer?”

It's much too early to make any assumptions.”

But . . .”

The detective cut him off. “As I was saying, how long has the thief been in the wind?”

In the . . . wind . . . sir?” Sterling stuttered, still taken aback by the detective's 'assumptions' remark.

That's what I said.”

What does that mean, Sir?” finally pulling himself together.

Tell him Ms. Doherty.”

Amanda began thinking fast, but speaking slowly. “I would have to say . . . in the situation we find ourselves . . . not including you, of course, Mr. Sterling . . .”

It means,” the detective interjected, “how long has he been gone, vamoosed, absent, flew the coop, history, never to be seen . . .?

Enough,” Herman said. “I get it.”

Good, because, if need be . . .”

The ambulance took him away a few minutes before you and your partner arrived.”

So he was wounded?” said Ms Doherty.

Mortally,” said the manager.

I see.” said the detective, “and whose idea was it to haul him away?”

It all happened so . . .”

Fast. Of course,” the detective said. “Will the coffee be here soon?”

I'll get to it as soon as we're done.”

We're done,” said the detective.





Chapter 2 of a short story.
Crime/Mystery with a little humor
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.