General Fiction posted December 6, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A dream of what may be.

Fishy Tale

by poetwatch


"Did you hear that?"

They asked me on the day the world would end. What was I suppose to say? I was born without that capability. I cannot hear. I read lips and could see fear dripping from their mouths and from their faces. What was going on?

No, I did not hear that, but I felt the tremors. I envision Godzilla trying to break free, creating an earthquake by jumping up and down and shaking the world with its gigantic feet. Suddenly, time stopped, there was silence, nothing stirred. I did not feel any vibrations. Not even a breeze. Yet, it did not last long.

No, I did not hear that, but I saw the buildings quiver and crumble to the ground. People were running and shouting, afraid for their lives. They trampled those fallen in their way, trying to escape the beast that was loose. Then, I saw a cloud blackened as it rose into the sky. It looked like a big black brain, blotting the light from the sun, thinking of what it was going to do next. Darkness settled in the middle of the day, there was nowhere to go, I could not see.

No, I did not hear that, but I felt my body blown high into the air and then deflating like a hot air balloon. I fell into a well of pain. My bones were broken, my mind stunned, a doll flew by me (Or was it a child?) I do not know. I could feel the blood flooding my face, my arms, my ears, for every part of my body was bleeding. I could not move. I tried to yell, but only a whimper left my lips. And then, ashes began falling from the sky...

No, I did not hear that, but smelled the burning flesh as I baked slowly on the ground. In the haze of the light, I saw a hooded figure walking towards me, my time had come. Then, I felt your loving hands unshackle me from death's embrace.

"Light of my life, wake up, you're groaning in your sleep and you're hot. Do you have a fever?"

"Honey, what a nightmare I had! It must have been the blackened redfish I ate last night. I kept thinking about a red tie as I ate it."

"Serves you right ordering the president's special. It looked all right, but it was blackened and spiced to hide all the lies. That fish looked like left over sushi, smelled like it too. Those people in the kitchen were probably laughing their fool heads off at people like you. You should have reorder and chosen something better."

"Ah, honey, you can't blame the people in the kitchen. The chef just gives the people what they want. If you think my choice smelled like sushi what do you think yours smelled like?"

"It's late, husband. Tell me tomorrow, I have a headache."

Ah, no. you ain't getting away that easy. Yours smelled like last month's trash served only once a month, hot, filthy, and dirty."

"Don't you go complaining about my choice. At least mine looked more suitable than yours did; it came with all the trimmings. Let us not argue anymore, husband. We cannot change the menu right now. All people chose what they want, even if it is full of lies and smells like sushi. Yet, if it's hot, filthy, and dirty, but it has all the trimmings, making it look good, what else do they want? They can choose something else if it is on the menu, if not, that is what they should get. Goodnight, husband, turn off the light and go to sleep. You never know what tomorrow brings."

I'm steaming as I turn off the light. I hate losing to this woman and grumbling in anger quietly say, "Women, what are they good for?" A moan escapes my lips as my wife turns, touching me and...

"Did you hear that?"



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry


Dreams come and go, different people speak in my sleep and sometimes I recall. This one was strange. I wrote it yesterday, but let it rest and checked it again. Corrected what I could and the rest I leave to you.That is the only way I can learn.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. poetwatch All rights reserved.
poetwatch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.