Writing Non-Fiction posted December 2, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Stem Cell acknowledgement and progression

Stem Cell research & treatment award

by LittleIrishman

Stem Cell research and treatment is the next positive and powerful health and medical revolutionary field that has surfaced, and constantly advancing and progressing.

To build on such a good thing with Stem Cells, both Dr. Loan Le from Westmead Hospital, and Dr. Inken Martin from Victor Chang's Cardiac Research Institute at......received the '2017 Ralph Reader Basic Science Prize' for 'Stem Cell research'.

Other Stem Cell award winners are Japanese Scientist, Shinya Yamanaka, who won the 'Nobel Prize in 2012' for his research into 'Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPS)' (Wikipedia). Professor Martin Pera has led a consortium of leading Stem Cell research departments, as global leaders in the field (NSCFA).

Similar medical research and treatment practitioner winners are Dr. Victor Chang for the heart at his research institute mentioned above, and Dr. Chris O'Brien for cancer at the Chris O'Brien Life House near the Royal Prince Alfred hospital at Camperdown, Sydney.

Stem Cell therapy is used to treat and/or prevent a disease or condition. Such conditions are bone marrow transplants, umbilical cord blood, spinal cord injuries, macular degeneration or blindness, and neuro-degenerative diseases such as diabetes, and heart problems. Stem Cells can become cells in any tissue of the body.

The National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia (NSCFA) states how Stem Cells are with humans from childhood to adulthood, and are an important part in the body for repair ageing, and damaged tissues.

The NSCFA states how Stem Cell research is used to treat illness; working out how sickly illnesses are caused; and understanding fundamental functions of living cells.

There are three types of Stem Cells (NSCFA):
1. 'Adult Stem Cells' (ASC): Found in most organs in the body.
2. 'Embryonic Stem Cells' (ESC): Found in early embryos in unborn babies. This area of Stem Cells has been classed as somewhat sensitive and controversial, as it deals with unborn babies. This is almost on the same level as abortion
3. 'Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells' (iPSC): Genetically modified ASC. This iPSC is connected with award-winning Nobel Prize winner, Shinya Yamanaka, previously mentioned above.

The NSCFA was established by the Australian Stem Cell Centre in 1998. NSCFA gets most of its money from donations by the general public, and Australian Government.

Stem Cell research and treatment in Australia is apparently behind other major countries like America, Canada, Europe, and Japan. An example of this is the problem of translating Stem Cell research into new therapies. This point was made in the 'Australian Academy of Science' report, 'The Stem Cell Revolution: Lessons and Imperatives for Australia'.

Bibliography
- Auburn Review (September 1st, 2017) 'Stem Cell researcher awarded prize', LocalNews.com.au
- National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia (NSCFA) 'About Us'/ 'What are Stem Cells?'
- Pera, Martin. Munsie, Megan. & Harvey, Richard. (March 21, 2016) 'Stem Cell therapies are advancing, but will Australian patients be left behind', The Conversation
- Wikipedia: 'Stem Cell Therapy'


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LittleIrishman All rights reserved.
LittleIrishman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.