Mystery and Crime Non-Fiction posted November 2, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Just my wild imagination

Some Ghosts Are Not Real

by Sasha



Going for a walk after breakfast is supposed to be a pleasant way to get the food to settle in your stomach.  Wearing flip-flops, I could hear my footsteps echoing as I crossed the street.  Without warning, I suddenly heard a muffled chicka-chicka-chicka-chicka-chee sound behind me. 
 
I turned and did not see anything or anyone that could create the interesting, but, annoying sound.  I continued walking and the chicka-chicka-chicka-chicka-chee not only continued, it became louder.  There were not many pedestrians on the street, but clearly there was one behind me…somewhere.
 
The sound continued for several blocks and I became quite annoyed.  For a few steps, I turned around and began walking backwards in the hope of catching the annoying culprit.  Facing in the opposite direction the strange chicka-chicka-chicka-chicka-chee sound started up again, behind me. Whatever was causing the sound seemed to know how to avoid being seen.  Not wanting to trip and break my neck, I turned around and began walking properly.  The annoying sound continued.
 
Despite today being the official Day of the Dead, it does not have anything to do with ghosts.  I don’t believe in ghosts, but something WAS following me; I just could not see it.
 
As the corner approached, I began to walk faster.  I turned the corner and stopped, hoping to catch the culprit.  No such luck.  When I stopped, the sound stopped.  Determined to find out who or what was causing it, I headed back to my apartment accompanied the entire way with my annoying ghost.
 
I must admit, despite not believing in ghosts, I was becoming a bit paranoid; something I have been experiencing significantly these past few days.
 
When I arrived at my apartment, I reached into my purse to retrieve my keys.  While rummaging inside my purse I felt the box of vitamins I had stopped to purchase at the pharmacy across from the restaurant where I had eaten my breakfast.  Feeling a bit foolish, I realized the chicka-chicka-chicka-chicka-chee sound were the vitamins rattling inside the bottle with each step I took.  I won’t tell anyone if you don’t.
 
No, I do not believe in ghosts.  I never did and I never will.

 



Recognized


This barely qualifies as a mystery, but I didn't know what else to call it. I really was annoyed by this strange sound and convinced someone was following me. I need to get over my paranoia, it is getting in the way of common sense and logic.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sasha All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Sasha has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.