General Fiction posted October 3, 2017 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...another doggie story

A chapter in the book 2018 Bernie and Howie Stories

Bernie and Howie celebrate Fall

by Mustang Patty


 photo happy-puppy-smiley-emoticon-11_zpswtwlfiot.gif

Bernie could hear the sliding of a drawer.  He hoped it was the special drawer in the kitchen where the Mistress kept harnesses and leashes.  He heard a sound.  It was the clinking of the loops on his leash. 
 
He leaped from the back of the couch.  Wasting time, running around, and uttering little excited barks, he let the Mistress know of his joy.  He finally went into the bedroom and jumped on the bed to wake Howie.
 
Gently nipping at Howie's ear, Bernie attempted to wake the sleeping dog.  He could see that Howie opened one eye and glared at him.  Ignoring the implied threat, Bernie continued to jump on the bed, wagging his tail, and panting in excitement.
 
The sound of the leashes clinking together was too alluring for the dogs to ignore.  Bernie led the way to the kitchen.  Waiting for them, the Mistress bent down to put on their harnesses.
 
"Come on, boys!  We're going to go for a walk.  Did you notice it's cooler out today?"
 
Bernie turned his head this way and that as he listened to his beloved Mistress.  He had no idea as to what she was saying.  He was too busy anticipating their adventure.  He watched the Mistress open the cupboard where she kept the plastic bags.  Slipping two into the pocket of her sweatshirt, she was ready to leave the house.
 
"Now don't get too excited boys!" admonished the Mistress.  Her feet were tangled in the crisscross of the leashes they had made in their excitement.  Stepping through each loop, she finally freed herself.
 
"Okay, remember to be on your best behavior.  No pulling.  And, what do we do if we see another dog?"
 
Bernie looked to Howie.  Did he understand what she was saying?  Howie was simply wagging his tail and waiting for the door to open.  Looking up once more, Bernie decided the Mistress was just telling them they were going out.
 
Cool, crisp air met his sensitive nostrils as she pulled on the knob.  Grateful to be going for a walk, Bernie remembered to walk to her left and keep clear of Howie's leash.  Leaves scattered and blew in a funnel shape in the outer hallway of the apartment building.  Light peeked into the darkness and Bernie wanted to run, but he held himself in check.
 
Head up, ears forward, Bernie pranced on his toes to meet the day.  Wonderful smells came to him.  He could smell the damp grass and plants, some garbage from the receptacle across the way, and car exhaust.  He was outside!
 
Trying to get Howie more enthused, Bernie looked to him for some entertainment.  He could tell Howie was simply enjoying the outside, too, so he wisely left him alone.  The sun was shining, but the hot heat of the preceding weeks was gone.  It was just perfect and comfortable.  The concrete beneath his feet wasn't too hot, and life was good.
 
Gently leading them along, the Mistress was heading for the dog park within the apartment complex.  Without any other dogs there, Bernie knew they would be off leash and free to explore within the confines of the fenced area.  Great anticipation filled his head.
 
Opening the gate and closing it securely behind them, the Mistress looked at the dogs with a huge smile.  "Okay boys.  I'm going to take off your leashes and let you play.  You have to come when I call, right?"
 
Bernie only heard 'leashes' and 'off.'  His tail was wagging furiously.  Once freed, he ran as fast as he could.  He ran all the way to the other fence, and quickly turned around and ran back.  The Mistress was seated on the bench within the enclosure and watched her dogs with a smile on her face.
 
In the corner of the gated area, the wind had formed a deep pile of the recently shed leaves.  Bernie approached them on full alert.  He made sure there wasn't any danger.  Turning around, he ran for a distance, and then turned and rushed the pile.  Burrowing under the pile like he did in the blankets on the bed, he relished the feel of dirt and debris on his fur.  He continued to run and rush.  Eventually Howie followed his lead.
 
Hearing the Mistress laugh, Bernie ran back to her.  Looking up into her joyful face, he was happier than he could remember.  Turning away, he went back to attacking the pile of leaves.
 
After thirty minutes or so, Bernie was tired.  Howie had already gone to the bench and joined the Mistress.  She'd brought their special drinking bowl, and Bernie gratefully walked to get a drink.
 
"Should we go home now?"
 
Bernie slowly wagged his tail.  Looking over at Howie, he could see he was wagging his tail, too.  "Okay, boys.  Let's just put on your leashes."
 
Each dog stood and waited for her to connect the leash to his harness.  With some sadness, they followed her lead as they left the dog park.  Bernie hoped they would come back soon.  Next time, he would demolish that pile.

 
 
 



Recognized


image courtesy of public domain



Hope you enjoy a bit of fun with Bernie and Howie
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.