Spiritual Fiction posted October 2, 2017 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chapter 4 of the Waiting Room

A chapter in the book The Waiting Room

Getting to Know You

by Mustang Patty




Background
A telling story of the time we spend in anticipation of the most important meeting of our lives. We will discuss every moment, every decision, and our good moments along with the bad.


In the first part of the story, we were shown the sumptuous 'Waiting Room.'  Its description tells of a wonderful place to wait for your appointment with Him.  Each one of our souls will spend time in this room.  This story chronicles the journey for seven souls.
 
As we met each character in Chapters 2 and 3, we learned their names.  (see the List of Characters in Author's Notes.)  We know we have people of different faiths in the Waiting Room, yet, we do not know the belief system of each person, apart from Janelle.
 

From the Last Chapter:
 
Bartholomew watched as the seven souls found their place in the room.  Four of them gravitated to the machines lined up across the wall, and three of them chose to sit and wait. 

While there was a great deal of various reading material scattered throughout the room, one of the souls picked up the Bible and read as if cramming for a test.  Another casually read the latest sports magazine, and the other soul who had chosen to sit and wait, simply sat, and observed the others.

Suddenly, the door at the end of the room popped open.  A voice from within called, "Roger Cummings, please." 

Roger stood on shaky legs.  Leaving the comfort of the sumptuous chair was a bit like the shock of leaving the womb and breathing the first breath of the earth's air.  He wasn't scared, nor was he curious.  He was certain he knew what was beyond the door. 

His eyes widened in surprise when he saw what awaited him, …

 

And now back to our story:
 

The group watched with great interest as Roger approached the door.  He walked through the portal, and they exhaled a collective breath.  Left with their own thoughts, each reflected on what might be happening, and more than a few wondered where his final destination would be.
 
Nosey placed a finger to hold the page of the Bible, and looked around the room.  "Well, he's the first.  We didn't learn much about him, but I think he was a Protestant, don't you?"
 
Looks from around the room said no one knew or really cared.  "Do you think it really matters what we believe?" asked Mark.  "I mean, uh, we're all here, right?  There's an angel.  Did everyone believe in angels before today?  I know I didn't.  All I know is we are going to meet somebody pretty important.  I think it's God."
 
Austin looked up from the amusement game he was playing around with.  "These machines seem to be a part of it all.  Take this one for instance, 'What ever happened to?'  I've could put in names of friends and family.  I've seen videos of their lives after I knew them, and then an image of them happily enjoying their special place.  This thing is amazing."

"I know!  I was messing around with the one that says, 'What If?' and I got an answer to a question I had about a decision in my life.  I was surprised at what I learned," replied Mark.
 
Lisa was blushing.  "I, um, don't know about these machines.  I don't think I really wanted to know 'What was the real plan.' I feel like a complete failure.  Did I live my entire life as a mistake?" she wailed.  "This waiting around is killing me.  I keep wondering if I'm going to wake up in my own bed and just remember all of this as a dream."
 
"I think these machines are kind of cool.  I've had a chance to look at all the times I had to make a tough decision.  This machine says they were 'The Forks in my path.'  This is just awesome!  The machines give us a great way to pass the time.  I feel like I'm understanding my life a whole lot better," quipped Joe.
 
"Well, instead of playing with those machines, what d'you say we just sit and talk?" opined Nosey.  "I would really like to know who I'm in this room with.  That will pass the time, too."
 
Lisa, dressed in a beautiful Chanel suit, took a seat in one of the comfortable recliners across from Nosey.  "Come on over here, guys.  It would be nice to get acquainted."
 
Flipping her long, dark hair over her shoulder, Janelle watched as the group started to gather and grab a seat.  Seeing everyone sitting gave her the chance to study faces and mannerisms.  She loved to people-watch, and she found she could learn a lot about a person this way.
 
"What d'you wanna know?  I'm Joe Kaufman, I'm fifty-two years old...I am a Jew, but I don't go to Temple very much or observe the so-called High Holy days.  I worked as a postman until earlier today."  Looking to Austin, he suggested, "Next?"
 
Clearing his throat noisily, the elderly man addressed the group.  "Hi, I'm Austin Zinkowski. I've always considered myself a Catholic, and my wife used to drag me to church on Easter and Christmas."  He plucked at the creases in his khaki pants, and continued, "I've been retired for the last five years or so.  I have three grown children, and five grandkids."  His eyes filled with tears, "I sure am gonna miss them."
 
"I guess it's my turn, huh?  Well, um, I'm Lisa Patel."  Her lovely olive skin accentuated her almond shaped golden-brown eyes.  "I grew up in the Mormon church, and I'm very involved in my ward."  As she observed the questioning looks on several people's faces, she felt she should explain.  "A ward is the neighborhood of your particular church.  I worshipped and served with one of the wards in Chicago."
 
"Well, I've never really been sure of what I believe," started Janelle.  "But, I'm twenty-six years old, and up until earlier today I was working as a fashion model.  I've been in tons of magazines, and I have a great house.  My closet is huge, and full.  I'm going to miss my clothes."
 
Nosey looked down her nose at the rest of the group.  Knowing she should keep most of her thoughts to herself, she couldn't help but wonder what most of these people were doing here.  Did any of these people, besides her have a personal relationship with Christ?  She would let them know the basics, "I'm Adele Pinder and I've been married to the same man for over forty-five years.  I have five children, and sixteen grandchildren.  I've been a housewife for most of my life, but I volunteered at the church on all kinds of things.  The church I'm talking about is the New Heights Community Church in downtown Augusta, Georgia.  I love it there.  We sing and we pray all day on Sundays.  I wonder what the services are like here."
 
 Listening to her words, the rest of the group could tell she was one of those Bible-thumping born-again Christians.  Maybe it would've been better to have lived her life, but wasn't it boring?  Had she ever had the chance to sin or make a mistake?
 
"Believe it or not, I'm a Buddhist.  I believe in God, so it isn't any wonder I'm here; to me anyway.  I'm Mark Malone, and I was born and raised in Austin, Texas.  I joined the Buddhist church when I married my wife.  She is a Korean national I met while I was in the Air Force.  It is nice to meet all of you, but I'm pretty anxious to meet the big guy."
 
Bartholomew smiled as he watched from his place in the corner of the room.  Yes, these souls were all wondering what would become of them.  Now that they knew a bit about one another, they would start to make their own judgements.  They shouldn't, but they would.  It was simple human nature.  Only He had the right to judge, and they would find out their fates soon enough.
 

Romans 14:12-14 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore, let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean , but  it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.



 



Recognized


photo courtesy of pinterest.com
All Biblical Quotes come from The Holy Bible, King James Version or English Standard Version

List of Characters:
Those Who Wait:
Janelle Sorrell
Roger Cummings
Adele Pinder AKA Nosey Parker
Joe Kaufman
Austin Zinkowski
Mark Malone
Lisa Patel

Bartholomew - Angel


With this story, I do not intend to change anyone's beliefs or strong-arm anyone to accept what I believe. It is merely my intention to illustrate how I think it will be after we die. Just like movies like 'What Dreams May Come,' or 'Heaven Can Wait,' this is merely a viewpoint.

It is not my intention to offend anyone.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.