General Fiction posted September 4, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Outsider Not Welcome

Change of Command

by Thesis


"I want to thank all of you for meeting me down here on such short notice. The Chiefs wanted me to take care of this right away, so everyone is on the same page. Effective Immediately, I am being promoted to Deputy Chief of the Department. Here's the hard part. Jake, as my Senior Lieutenant, you would normally become the acting Captain, until the Brass decided if it was going to be permanent. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen in this case."

"I didn't have a good feeling about being called to dinner with you tonight, boss. What's going on?"

"Jake, meet your new Captain, Susan Wright."

Jake just stared at his old boss.

"Wait, what? You're serious, aren't you?"

"Yes, Jake. The Commissioner brought Captain Wright in from Boston to run the Homicide Unit."

"Why would he bring in someone from Boston to run Homicide? This has to be a joke. NY has about ten times the number of murders Boston does."

"Let me answer that for you, Lieutenant. The Commissioner wanted someone to run the department, not to allow your unit to run wild through the streets, bypassing policy and good detective work."

"Captain Wright, you're out of order. Jake is one of the highest decorated detectives in department history. His unit gets results by the book. I'm also personally offended by your comments, that imply I was not in control of my department."

"Deputy Chief, Captain, I do not feel comfortable discussing my performance with either of you. I want my Union Representative involved in any future discussions. I have a homicide scene I need to be at. Enjoy your dinner."

"Sit down, Lieutenant. You have not been dismissed. This morning you became an asset of mine and I will tell you when you can leave."

"With all due respect, Captain Wright you can kiss my ass."

"Until further notice, Lieutenant, you are suspended, without pay. I'll take your shield and service weapon. And your keys to the department's car you're driving."

"Captain Wright, are you sure you want to go down this path? Lieutenant Kelly is one of the finest on the force, and has my full support."

"I have the Commissioner's. Do you want to compare dick sizes here, Chief?"

Jake tossed his badge, gun, and keys on the table in front of Captain Wright. Without another word, he was out the door and back into the safety of the night in the city he knew better than anyone.

"You just started a war you cannot win, Wright."

"I'll take my chances, Deputy Chief. Oh, and just a word for the future. Just because I wear a skirt, don't think I can't take care of myself."

"Well, you're going to get that chance to prove how big your balls really are then, when his team finds out that you suspended their boss. They're working on over twenty percent of the Homicide Unit's workload. The bosses rely on their production. Let's see how good you think you really are."

Picking up Jake's gun, badge, and keys, the Deputy Chief left Captain Wright sitting alone in the restaurant.

Jake's team always knew where each other were, in case there was trouble. They were like brothers and sisters, always watching out for their own.

Captain Wright left the restaurant to see the entire street lined with police vehicles, both marked and unmarked units.None of the officers said a word, as they watched this new Commander walk to her unmarked unit, which was blocked in by a Patrol Lieutenant.

"You must be Captain Wright. Welcome to the Bronx."

"What's going on? Why do you have this many units here, Lieutenant?

"It's a show of force, Captain."

"A show of force for whom, Lieutenant?"

"Those who wish to do us harm, ma'am."

"Is this done on your authority, Lieutenant?"

Before he could answer, a black unmarked unit arrived. Captain Robert Suarez got out and walked over to the Lieutenant's car.

"I was just asking your Lieutenant if he authorized this welcome party."

"I don't know how you operated in Boston, Wright, but I will tell you this. When you come to my command, you speak to me. If you have an issue, you bring it to me, want to know about an order in my command, call me. That's how things work here. Now, would you like the Lieutenant to escort you back to Manhattan, Captain?"

"I think I can find it without his help."

"Great. Good night, Captain."

"Goodnight."



Sudden Flash Fiction contest entry


752 words

Photo licensed to me from Adobe Stock
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.