General Non-Fiction posted September 2, 2017 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
...housework and writing

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

A Day in the Life

by Mustang Patty


Wondrous smell of fresh coffee fills the kitchen.  Grinding the beans awakens the senses and causes the taste buds to anticipate the dark brew.  The day has begun.
 
Scuffled, shuffles scrape the laminate floor until the carpeting is reached.  Hurried clicking of the doggy feet follow closely.  The door to the bathroom creaks open and daily ablutions bring freshness and the wondrous smell of soap and lotion.  Twist of the hair up into a bun sitting on top of the head.  Sounds of footfalls as the closet is approached. 
 
Searching hangers for the shirt for today, a myriad of colors greets the eye.  Opening drawers with a squeak to look for underwear and shorts; an outfit is made.
 
Feeling fresh and shiny, a trip to the kitchen for that important first cup must be made.  Savoring the smell as it greets the nostrils, and the heat from the decoction before it reaches the tongue is one of the best moments of the day.
 
Ready to take on the world, the to-do list is checked and the work begins.  Scrubbing, wiping, swishing, and mopping get the kitchen and bathrooms up to snuff.  The living room is dusted and vacuumed.  Get the laundry going as the washer whirs to life.  Make the bed, fluff the pillows, and put the dog toys back in their bin.
 
Carrying the ever-present cup, head for the desk to the pile of mail.  Sort and take the checks and bills to the desk.  Prepare the deposit and open the checkbook.  Money in; pay the bills to move the money back out.  Business for the week is handled.
 
With a whistle, and a turn of the office door knob, the glowing screen of the computer is approached.  With dogs at her feet, the writer begins her work day.  Opening the latest story from her computer file, and pulling out hand prepared notes about the character, she tackles the next scene.  The next two hours quickly pass as she is lost in a world she created.
 
Returning to her office from that other world, she moves towards the leashes for the dogs and they spring into action.  Excited yelps and dancing feet are tamed with the harnesses.  Grabbing the envelopes to be mailed, and opening the front door, she and the dogs greet the sunshine.
 
Left behind is the coffee cup and the clean house.  In the quiet, the ticking of the still hot coffee pot is heard along with the whirring of the fan.  The computer has saved her work for the day, and the story is almost finished.
 
She'll come back from the walk with fresh air in her lungs and the dogs ready for a nap.  Then there's dinner to start, and the wait for his homecoming begins.
 
Life is good. 

 



Recognized


photo from Google

No dialogue, and no real story - this is simply a descriptive piece about the activities of a day. It was an exercise in using words to make a point.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.