General Fiction posted August 22, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Driving me nuts

Silence

by poetwatch

This constant drumming in my ears is driving me nuts! I cannot concentrate on driving with that irritating voice.

"Take a left at the next corner. Not that one, stupid, the other corner!" rags my mother-in-law.

If only she would sit still and silent. Yet, that mouth of hers runs a mile a second. I want to tape it to the front bumper. I look over at the wife, but she says not a word.

"Come on, Honey. Tell her something!" I yell in my mind. Of course, she's the daughter and I'm... stupid.

"You're driving too fast! Look out for that car! Watch out for those people on the sidewalk. All these idiots are worse than you are and that's saying something. You're going to miss the corner!"

I had enough. I slam on the brakes and turn at the same time. Her hair is the first thing that visits the side window followed by a crunching sound. As she flies out the door, I recall telling her to buckle up. But did she listen? No, she overruled my voice and look what happened.
The siren is the last thing I hear and then... silence.



Back Seat Driver writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The topic for this writing contest is: Back Seat Driver


Just a little trip in imagination.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. poetwatch All rights reserved.
poetwatch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.