General Fiction posted August 20, 2017 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The aftermath of the Queen Deana debachle

A chapter in the book Pale Sisters

The Release

by Bill Schott




Background
The Kolk and Magfas are battling for control of the destiny of the world. Through selective breeding, over centuries, three children have been produced who could create a new reality.
Previously, in an effort to get rid of Diana Camp, Warden Dag orchestrated an attempted prison escape which went wrong and ended in the death of another prisoner, five guards, and the warden himself.

Vice Warden Jim Chambers was up to his spectacled eyeballs in problems, as he assumed control of the prison. The paperwork involved with the death of the woman who was murdered by her cellmate, and the woman who was shot that very morning would have been enough to keep him busy for quite a while. Now, with the parole hearing being rescheduled for tomorrow, the killing of Warden Dag and several guards, the paperwork seemed endless.

He was not familiar with the prison population or many of the personnel who worked at the facility. There was even a new secretary, Ester Timms, who had to dive right into the files during her first few days on the job. She had been very helpful to the new warden, spending all her time going through the mounds of prisoner records in order to prepare acting-Warden Chambers' course of action. She would familiarize him with the people involved in the decisions he would soon be making.

Ester had taken the place of the former warden's secretary when that woman had given her notice and quit. Her reasons hadn't been explained and the pressures of the chaotic situation at the prison made Ester's appearance a Godsend. She had totally immersed herself in the records and systems of the administration which convinced Warden Chambers she was perfect for the job.

Vincent Edam had had his requested visit postponed several times, until he finally just showed up at the warden's office and demanded to see Diana Camp. Warden Chambers didn't know exactly how to inform the young man other than to just tell him.

"Diana Camp is dead," he said, flatly.

"What!" Vincent blurted. "How?! When did this happen?"

"She was killed by her cellmate; a woman who was recently killed herself during an attempted escape."

"But -- Warden Dag said--"

"Foster Dag was killed during the escape," said Chambers, relying heavily on the notes prepared by Ms. Timms.

Vincent left the prison puzzled and saddened. He waited in his old car, the '61 Bel Air, that had filtered down to Diana and he had brought to use as a conversation piece when he spoke to her. He sat now in the front seat, crumbling inside. The entire situation with Diana was so sordid, he was sure there was something foul and wrong about her arrest and incarceration. He was beginning to think that even her death was a part of some strange deal. He was not going on with his studies until he knew all of what was going on.

As he contemplated staying the night at a motel he noticed a few miles back, a limousine pulled up next to his car. The rear window lowered and Raleigh Sabre leaned up smiling.

"Hello, Vince."

"Mr. Sabre?" said Vincent, surprised at seeing his father's close and powerful friend here at a prison parking lot.

"Vince," he said, pausing for a second as he seemed to be considering his next words, "I'm really sorry to find you here."

"What? Why? What do you mean? Do you know why I'm here?"

"Yes. You are here because your father allowed you to meet and talk to Diana Camp. Now, like some love-struck puppy dog you are sniffing around trying to investigate something you know nothing about."

"I think she was framed and wrongly sent to prison."

"Oh, definitely," he said with a smile. "She should never have left the mansion alive."

"Mansion? "

"There really isn't time to go through this with you, Vince."

"Go through with wha --" Vincent's mind was clouded with noise as his vision stopped. Within his mind was his own voice speaking what Raleigh Sabre, the Irsdan, would have him know.


'
You are a cipher now. You are nothing but a tool for what I need. You will not consciously remember this, but when I need you to act, you will. If I tell you to drive your car off a cliff, you will do it immediately. Should I need you to kill, you will do so with alacrity and efficiency. Now, go back home and forget Diana Camp.'

Shortly after the limousine pulled away and was out of sight, Vincent's mind cleared. He looked around, confused. He started his car, wondering why he was in the Bel Air. Was that a prison in front of him? He eventually regained his bearings and drove out to the freeway and back to his father's estate.

On the following day the board met and refused parole to every inmate except one. The young woman's records had been exemplary and she was recommended unanimously by the board for immediate release.

Speaking to the warden, on the day she was to leave, she thanked him for his support at the hearing, then waited in the outer office with Ester Timms.

"I can't believe you pulled this off," said the young woman to the secretary. "You must have waved a magic wand over the entire filing system to work this."

"Not a magic wand; just a lot of editing, shuffling, and deal-making with people throughout the prison."

"Now I have to know who's going to pick me up when I leave. That part of this whole scheme hasn't been explained to me yet."

"It will be, dear," said Ester. "Just not by me. You will be picked up outside by a man in a limousine. He will take you to the folks who sent me here to get you out."

"What about you?"

"I'll be giving notice in a few days, once I take care of a few incidentals."

"Any suggestions for me?" asked the soon-to-be-released young woman.

"Don't forget who you are."

She smiled and was a few minutes later escorted to the front gates by a guard.

"Person to be released?" came the question from the watch officer.

"Prisoner 2325685," replied the guard, reading from the chart in his hand. "Heidi Lake."

The watch officer confirmed the name and had the outer door opened.

Exiting the prison she had thought she'd die in, Diana Camp left the grounds and was once again free. She entered a limousine that was waiting there and was driven away.





 



Recognized


Picture from gettyimages.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.