General Fiction posted August 18, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jacob is agitated because his friends have been promoted.

Revival -- Part Two

by pbomar1115

Previously:

When Jacob left his bedroom, he looked down at his watch. He goes over to his sister, lying on the sofa bed, asked her to come with him. With her vacant stare, he senses her usual attempt to reject him. So, he gently took hold of her hand, noticing that it was trembling.

He led her to his bedroom, speaking with a soft tone, pointing to the items on the bed, " Choose which dress and shoes you want to wear. We're going to the Oceanair Seafood Room for dinner."

"Why are we going there?" Emily asked.

"It's almost time. Hurry, Sis and get dress. I have good news."



******



Emily said, "Jacob, I have a headache. My stomach is cramping, and I have these persistent back pains. I don't feel up to it, Sweetie. I'm sorry. I know you are happy. But you don't need to take me out to tell me your good news. What is it, Jacob?"

Jacob released her hands and broke eye contact, looking up with his hands raised in the why me? position. He's feeling dismissed for his best attempt to remedy his want. Standing there gazing at the Business degree on the wall next to the bookshelf of his bedroom, Jacob could see the sensitive relationship with his friends not going well on their visit. So, he wanted to explain to Emily the importance of his friends, hoping she would understand.

"Sis, can you just see your way through this for me, please?"

"I really don't have an appetite."

"Oh, no."

Jacob frowned and took another look at his watch, swallowing hard. He looked around in confusion. He still had the problem of Emily's sleeping arrangement. With Howard and Rayford visiting tomorrow, he knew it would be a problem. They do not know anything about his family and Jacob did not know much about Emily's husband and child. He spent his time in school trying to improve his life. With this confusing issue to explain, Jacob decided to put Emily in his bedroom. He thought the idea would be best. One main reason was Howard's attention to business can be challenging, and Emily's problem doesn't seem to be on the decline.

"I guess I have to cancel the dinner reservation," Jacob said.

Jacob stares at his big sister, wondering why she avoids crowds or social situations. She does not even want to talk to, Linda, her maid of honor at her wedding. Linda is single and has time for her, but he can't sort out a way to help Emily.



*******



Jacob slept on the sofa bed, tossing and turning all night. At 6: a.m. Saturday morning, he tried determining possible scenarios with Howard and Rayford that would make Emily uneasy. A noon visit seems about right, but Jacob really did not know when to expect them. So, he called Howard.

"Hey, Howard. What time did you plan on coming over?"

"Dude. Are you that excited for the three amigos to unite again? I know I am, but Dude, I think your early morning calls can ruin our relationship, buddy."

"What's the matter with you. I'm still in bed."

"Hey, Dude, you're a little grouchy in the mornings. Remind me to never shack up with you."

"That will never happen. Now, listen. What time are you coming over?"

"Rayford and I thought about noon est. Is that ok? I want to go over a few details about the interviewing with Uncle Ross."

"Howard. Can you just relate that over the phone?"

"Dude! Yeah. But we haven't seen you in six months. We have to celebrate getting back together and make a day of it, buddy."

"Yeah. About that. I have a sister."

"Dude. When did you get a sister? Hey. I have an idea. She can party with us. I don't mine. Really, I don't. I hope you are not the kind of brother who keeps his little sister on lockdown."

"Howard, you are out of your mind. She's my big sister, and she's sick."

"Okay. Okay. Okay. You don't have to be all stony-faced about everything. I can see you through the phone, Dude."

"What's up with your Uncle Ross. Why can't I be interviewed like a regular person coming in as your friend applying for a job?"

"Jacob, you know our motto? Remember " Protect the living future over the dead past", well, it came from him. Man. Let me tell you. He does not like sickly people and the handicap. He thinks that's a sign of foolish living and thinking. Oh, oh, oh, I forgot to tell you. He will check and see how many sick days you've been off work. That's a big no, no, for him."

"Hey! He didn't check on you and Rayford's work history did he? Isn't that some kind of discrimination?"

"Jacob, Dude. It's his company. He determines who the sheep are from the goats. Besides, this is a family company and you are not family. But, you are my, Dude."

"Man. It's nice being the boss, I guess."

"Dude. Don't be late Monday, Ok?"

"Howard. Please. . . "

"Dude. I'm just saying. Uncle Ross is a special kind of boss. You will see for yourself."

"Bye, Howard."



To be continued.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pbomar1115 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
pbomar1115 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.