Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 13, 2017 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The evidence on Julia and Larry continues to unravel.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Turning States Evidence

by Mistydawn


Brief Summary
Julia kills her first husband, Andy to escape an abusive relationship. She steals his mistress's ID and moves to Arkansas. She starts a career and a family under the fictitious name. Everything is going well until the police discover a knife from another murder in her car. She claims she purchased it from a homeless man, for her second husband's birthday. Hearing about her arrest, her second husband Bill puts a restraining order on her and then moves the kids out of the city. Julia bonds out and is awaiting trial.She's staying with her boyfriend/ Lawyer Larry. She's now accused of another murder which she claims she didn't commit. The Sergeant wants to believe her but the evidence keeps piling up against her.

Marty threatens to kill Larry's family if he doesn't win Vinnie's case.
Larry recently found out his estranged wife and daughter are dead. He's being expedited to New York where the murders took place. The evidence against him is slowly falling apart.

Rachel

I sprint through the station trying to keep up with the captain. His legs are a lot longer and his stride is a lot wider, so I have to take two steps to his one.

"What are you going to do now, Joe?" I breathlessly ask.

"I'm going to find out if James knows more than what he's letting on. I want you to stay out here, monitor his reactions, see if he's telling the truth." Throwing the door open, Joe stomps across the room. He's hoping this tactic will scare the suspect into talking. Because of Joe's large structure, this often works, even on some of our hardened, career criminals.

Startled by the sudden noise, James springs up in his seat.

"James, my name is Joe, and I have a few questions about the tape," he begins.

"W....where's Rachel?" he nervously asks, glancing towards the door.

"She's busy working on another case."

"Oh," he replies, shrinking down in his chair.

"You said that Marty told you to lie about the pickup, that it's all part of Allen's plan, right?"

"Yeah."

"Do you know what that plan is?"

"Yes, I overheard him and Marty talking about how he's going to frame Julia and Larry of murder."

"Julia and Larry?"

"Yes, they almost cost Allen his job."

"Do you have any proof that Allen is trying to frame them?"

"Don't say another word, James." A large, rounded man replies as he bursts through the door.

"You are?" Joe questions turning to face him.

"Mr. Buchannan, Mr. Wagner hired me to represent James." Patting James on the shoulders, he continues, "Can I have a moment with my client, please?"

Frustrated, Joe storms across the room. I follow him into the hallway.

"I only needed five minutes with the dude."

"I know, Joe, I know. What do you want to do now?"

"We'll have to wait and see what they decide to do," he says, turning towards the room.

Hearing shuffling coming from the hallway, we both turn towards the noise.

Kirk is running towards us, a big smile on his face.

"You're never going to believe this, guys," he exclaims.

"Believe what, Kirk?"

"I figured out how we can prove Julia is innocent once and for all."

"How are we going to do that?" I ask, hoping for a good idea.

"Her ankle monitor, see." Handing Joe a report, he continues. "According to the GPS on her bracelet, she was nowhere near Larry's house, or the crime scene."

Joe hands me the paper, I start scanning through the list.

"It gets even better; Delaware PD just called, and said that they're dropping all charges against her."

"How did that happen?" Joe questions.

"Larry sent them Julia's hospital records to prove the abuse. He also sent them footage of the night she was kidnapped from the hospital."

"So they believe Julia killed Andy in self-defense?"

"They do now."

"I'm sure Julia will be happy to hear that," I say.

"She was jumping for joy when they let her out of her cell."

"She's already been released?" Joe asks gruffly.

"Allen told me too. He said we need to make room for real criminals."

"Allen told you to release her?" I question, puzzled that he'd do such a thing.

'Yes."

"That doesn't make a bit of sense," Joe says, scratching his head the way Jerry does. Realizing what he did, he sheepishly moves his hand to his side.

"Two peas in a pod." I chuckle. Seeing Joe's evil glare, I stifle my amusement.

Kirk looks away, trying to keep from laughing. "What doesn't make sense, Captain?" Kirk snickers.

"If he's trying to frame her, then why did he tell you to let her go?" Getting a frightened look on his face, he continues, "I want police protection on her around the clock until we solve the case."

"You don't think Allen..." I begin.

"I'm not sure about anything, anymore."

"I'll take care of it, Sir," Kirk says, walking to his desk.

Hearing the door open, we turn around.

"Joe, my client is willing to make a deal."

"Is he now?" Joe laughs.

"He says he'll tell you everything if you give him witness immunity."

"Queen for the day, I can agree to that," Joe says, stepping into the room.

***

Julia

I've never been so happy to be home, in my entire life. The way it was going there at the last, I thought I'd never see this place again. I have to take care of one minor detail, and then I'll be completely free, I think, glancing at the cumbersome monitor strapped to my leg.

The police assured me that someone will be out later today to take care of it. They then warned me about doing something that might damage the equipment. They said it'll cost me nearly ten thousand dollars if it has to be replaced. With a price tag like that, I figure I can deal with the bulky device a little longer.

I see someone watching TV when I step into the house. Thinking it's Larry, I excitedly drop my stuff on the floor. "I'm so happy to see you," I cry, running towards him.

Standing up, the figure turns around.

I feel my jaw drop as I stand frozen in place.

"It's nice to see you too, Julia," he says, walking towards me.

***

Rachel

I'm watching Joe work his magic on James from the window. Joe says he can be more intimidating if I'm not in the room.

"So, you're telling me that all of the conversations are taped?"

"W... we didn't know they were being taped at the time," James stutters.

"Remember Captain, you can't use anything on the tapes against my client."

"I can't use anything that pertains to this case." He smiles.

"W...what does he mean?" James questions, turning towards his lawyer.

His attorney gives him a reassuring pat on the arm, James calms back down.

"These are the days the conversations took place?" Joe asks, glancing towards his notes.

"Y....yes."

"I'll be right back," the captain says. Opening the door, he peeks his head around the corner.

"I want you to get me copies of the tapes."

"All of them, Joe?" I ask.

"No, I just want the tapes of these days for now." Handing me his notebook he continues, "We'll deal with whatever else he's covering up later."

***

Julia

I can't believe who I'm seeing. "Andy?" I ask, trying to figure out how this's even possible. How did he survive the stab wounds and the fire? What about the charred body they found in the car?

"You thought you got rid of me didn't you?" He laughs.

"H....How is this possible?" I nervously question. Tears fill my eyes as the memories of that night flash through my mind.

"You killed my twin, not me."

"Y...your twin?" Andy never mentioned a twin, I think.

"That's right, doll face, and now it's time to settle the score."

I hear Andy's raspy breathing behind me as I dart towards the door. Being overweight and a heavy smoker, he gets short- winded rather quickly. I figure I can use this to my advantage. I'm just a few steps from the entryway when the closet door swings open. I skid to a stop.

"Did you miss me, Julia?" Another voice asks.

***

Rachel

Jerry and I are gathered around Joe's desk watching the footage from James' cab. All the proof we need is on the tapes like he said.

"It looks like they've been planning this whole set-up for a while, Boss."

"Nearly a year," I say, looking at the date on the tape.

"Allen is doing all of this because he lost a case?" Jerry questions.

"I have a feeling there's a lot more to it than that."

"What do you mean, Boss?"

"I think Allen had a personal agenda tied to this particular case."

"I'll look into it, see what I can find," Jerry says, walking out of the room.

"What do you want to do now, Joe?"

"I want to see what else we can find before I go to the Senior DA with this."

***

Julia

My second husband is in on this too? I question, watching him step into the entryway. Looking back, I see Andy is just a few feet away. Realizing this is my last chance to escape, I dash up the stairs.

"You can run, but you can't hide, Julia." Andy laughs as I rush past him.

Climbing the stairs two at a time, I make it to the top.

"I'm coming for you, Julia," Andy yells.

I turn to see his hefty body clomping up the steps. Not watching where I'm going, I collide into a large warm body. Screaming, I spin around.

"I'm so glad you're here, officer, these men...."

"Get her, Jack," Andy orders.

Nodding, the cop reaches towards me.

Dodging around his muscular physique, I run to the back bedroom. Locking the door, I start scanning my surroundings, hoping to come up with a plan.

"You're trapped now, Julia." Andy laughs, stomping down the hall.

Hearing pounding coming from the door, I spin back around. I see the wood splitting in half as the officer tries to kick it open. I have to block it somehow, I conclude, quickly glancing around. Seeing the large dresser sitting against the far wall, I scoot it in front of the door. I need to call for help before they find another way in, I think, running to the phone. Picking up the receiver, I start to dial a number. I soon realize the line is dead. Tossing the phone on the bed, I run to the window. I see thick metal bars on the outer side when I throw it open. Larry insisted on having them installed after our lives were threatened.

What am I going to do, now? I think, quickly looking around.

****

"Well, Larry, it looks like our little road trip is almost over, but don't worry, pal, I'll come see you in prison." Michaels chuckles.

"You'd enjoy that, wouldn't you?"

"It'd be worth the trip, that's for sure." He laughs.

"I guess you will have plenty of time for trips, during your suspension." I smile.

"Look out," Jefferies yells.

Seeing a car pull in front of him, Michaels slams on the brakes. Hitting a patch of black ice, the car skids out of control.



Characters

Julia murder suspect, Larry's live in girlfriend
Larry Lawyer and a murder suspect.
Joe Captain of the Berryville PD.
Rachel Sergeant of the Berryville PD Married to Joe. They have two children.
Jerry Detective of the Berryville PD.
Kirk Detective of the Berryville PD.
Allen DA of the Berryville PD.
Andy Julia's first husband.
Bill Julia's second husband.
Marty Vinnie's uncle, a suspect and long rival of Joe's.
James the cab driver and a suspect.
the Wagners the owners of the cab company.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.