Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 9, 2017 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The evidence on Julia and Larry is starting to unravel.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

The Conspiracy

by Mistydawn


Brief Summary
Julia kills her first husband, Andy to escape an abusive relationship. She steals his mistress's ID and moves to Arkansas. She starts a career and a family under the fictitious name. Everything is going well until the police discover a knife from another murder in her car. She claims she purchased it from a homeless man, for her second husband's birthday. Hearing about her arrest, her second husband Bill puts a restraining order on her and then moves the kids out of the city. Julia bonds out and is awaiting trial.She's staying with her boyfriend/ Lawyer Larry. She's now accused of another murder which she claims she didn't commit. The Sergeant wants to believe her but the evidence keeps piling up against her.

Marty threatens to kill Larry's family if he doesn't win Vinnie's case.
Larry recently found out his estranged wife and daughter are dead. He's being expedited to New York where the murders took place. The evidence against him is slowly shredding apart.
*****************


Rachel

I pull into the station, happy our little road trip is over. The cabbie has been blabbering non-stop since I threw him in the car. I'm usually happy when suspects talk, but not when they say the same thing a dozen times or more. All of the chattering in his chipmunk voice is giving me a pounding headache.

Looking back I see him cowering in the corner, the way my son often does when he's about to be spanked. Guess it's true what they say about men being tall children. Laughing, I throw the door open.

"Let's go," I say. Grabbing a hold of his arm, I lead him towards the building.

"I'm innocent I tell you, innocent."

"You've already told me a thousand times," I spat, pushing him through the hallway.

"Who do you have here, Sergeant?" Jerry asks, grabbing the suspect's arm.

"This is James Kirkland, the cabbie. Take him to room two, I'll be right there," I say, fishing through my desk. Finding the aspirin bottle, I pop it open.

"Gave you a headache did he?" Jerry chuckles.

"Yeah."

"I'm innocent, innocent I tell you," James cries.

"And that's how he did it."

"Come on," Jerry says, escorting him down the hall.

"I didn't do anything, officer, I swear, I didn't."

"We'll find out soon enough, now won't we."

Hearing a door open, James turns towards the noise. He sees Marty stepping into the hall.

"He's the one who told me to say I picked her up. It was him, he's the one responsible for all of this," James yells, pointing towards the door.

"I never saw this vagrant before," Marty replies, tossing his nose in the air.

"I'll show you vagrant, Marty," James says, lunging towards him.

Grabbing a hold of James' cuffs, Jerry pulls him away. "I think you need to go in here before someone gets hurt," Jerry says, pushing him through the second door.

"I have a feeling we have more to talk about, Marty." Turning the suspect around, Joe shoves him in the room.

Marty stumbles across the floor, more for show than anything else.

"I can't wait to hear what my lawyer has to say about that bit of brutality." He smiles.

"You might've had something if it was caught on tape, but since it wasn't, it'll be your word against mine." Joe chuckles.

Aggravated that his antics didn't work, Marty plops down in the chair. "I've done told you that I'm not saying another word until my lawyer gets here."

"Fine, don't talk, that just means we'll give James the deal and not you, which will suit me just fine. More than fine, actually." Joe chuckles.

"Your tactics don't scare me, Captain." He laughs.

"You won't be so cocky when we convict you of murder."

"You're still playing the same old song, aren't you, Captain? I guess you'll never learn." Shaking his head, he continues, "This will be just like all the other times you tried to convict me." He laughs.

"Not this time my friend, not this time." Smiling, Joe closes the door behind him.

Get him, Joe, I think, stepping into the second room.

I see James nervously glancing around when I walk over to him. This should be an easy confession, I think, sitting in the chair in front of him. "So, you're claiming that Marty told you to say that you gave Julia a ride?"

"Yeah, he said it was all part of the DA's plan."

"You know we have your conversation recorded, so I'll know if you're lying, right?"

"How?"

"The discussion was taped from your dash cam."

"I don't have a camera in my car."

"Not one that you're aware of." Seeing the horrified look on his face, I smile.

"The Wagners have been taping me?"

"From the day you first started. Why, is there something else on the tapes I should know about?"

"N....no, no nothing at all."

"I think there is. Maybe I should go back and get all of the tapes," I say, springing out of my chair. James jumps in his seat when my chair clanks to the floor.

"Y...you don't need to do that."

"Then tell me what's on the other tapes, James," I say, slamming my fist down a few inches from his hands.

He jumps again. "N....nothing, I swear, Sergeant."

"I don't believe you," I say, leaning across the table.

He starts fidgeting in his seat. "H...honest, that's it."

"You're willing to testify to this?"

"Y...yes, of course."

"Let me talk to my boss, see what he wants to do." I see Joe standing in the hallway when I open the door.

"What do you think, Captain?"

"Is that what you saw in the video?"

"Yep, I have something else to show you too." Taking a picture out of the envelope, I continue. "He's the one who tried to pick up the tape this morning."

"Allen has a copy of the conversation?"

"No, Henry unknowingly gave him a blank tape. I can't believe Allen is in on this, Joe, him, of all people."

"I had a feeling something funny was going on when he didn't want me with him when he talked to Marty."

"He kept you out of the interview?"

"Yeah, he said he wanted the conversation off the record, no video or speakers."

"But you listened anyhow, didn't you?" I smile. Seeing the puzzled look on his face, I chuckle. "I know you better than you think, Mister," I say, poking him in the chest.

He laughs. "Yeah, I listened in, but all I heard was Allen saying to keep quiet, that he'll fix it."

I glance at the first door. "Maybe I'll have better luck with Marty since he doesn't have a grudge against me."

"Not yet anyway." Joe chuckles, stepping up to the mirror.

Marty is sitting calmly at the table when I throw the door open. "Alright, Marty, it's confession time." I toss a picture of him and James onto the table.

"That only proves that James gave me a ride to the airport," he says, kicking back in his chair.

"We have you and Marty's conversation recorded. So you better fess up now, before you go down for everything."

"I'm not telling you guys shit until my lawyer gets here."

"That's your right, but just so you know, I plan on arresting Allen. I'll guarantee he'll blame everything on you, to save his ass."

"We'll just see about that, won't we, Sergeant?" He laughs.

I start clenching and unclenching my fists, trying to release some anger. "I guess we will."

Scooping up the pictures, I storm out the door. I see Joe laughing when I step into the hall.

"It took everything you had not to punch him, didn't it?" Joe chuckles.

"I want to do more than hit that pompous SOB," I say, through gritted teeth.

Grabbing the picture and video out of my hands, Joe dashes through the station.

"Where are you going, Captain?"

"I'm going to take this to the Senior ADA."

Things are going to really heat up now, I think, glaring at Marty through the mirror.

I see Jerry staring at his computer when I walk to my desk. "What are you doing, Jerry?"

"I'm looking at the footage from the bodega."

"Have you seen Marty or Larry yet?"

"Not yet. Wait, isn't that Marty?"

"Play that again," I say, stepping behind him.

"That sure is," Pausing the tape, Jerry glances at his notes.

"So according to the time on the receipts, Larry should have been right before him."

"Replay it in slow motion, see if we can spot Larry."

"I still didn't see him, Sarge."

"It looks like the kid was next and then an older man."

"According to the receipts the kid paid cash and the old man used a card."

"The one before Marty was a young lady."

"Yeah, and she used a card too, see," he says, pointing to a piece of paper.

"Maybe go further up or further back?"

"That would throw the receipts out of sync."

"You're sure the time stamp is accurate?"

"That's the first thing I checked. Maybe there's a glitch in the system and it didn't pick up Larry?"

"Let's look at the time stamps, see if there's missing footage."

Jerry replays the tape. "I didn't see any missing time, did you, Sarge?"

"No, so, that means Marty used Larry's card to make a purchase, then bought something himself."

*****

Larry

The snow is coming down harder than ever, making the roads extremely dangerous. The captain told Michaels to stop at the next motel, but he thinks he can make it to Virginia. I know I could, but I'm not so sure about him, not after the close call we had a few miles back.

"Is that the Captain again?" Michaels asks as Jefferies reaches for his phone.

Jefferies checks the caller ID. "Yep, hi Captain, really, so that means the only evidence we have left is the eyewitness. Ok, I'll tell him."

"What was all that about, Jefferies?"

"It seems that Mr. Wilson didn't make the purchase in New York after all."

"See, I told you I'm being framed," I say, sitting on the edge of my seat.

"We still have an eyewitness that puts you at the scene," Michaels snidely remarks.

"Someone probably paid him to say that."

"You criminals think you're so smart, don't you, running around committing crimes, thinking you'll never get caught." Michaels spat.

"I'll have you know that some criminals are very intelligent, definitely a lot smarter than you." I chuckle.

"Yeah, name one."

"I can do you one better, I'll name six. There's Al Capone, Theodore Kaczynski, Richard Loeb, Nathan Leopold, Ted Bundy, and Charlene Williams. All have IQ's well above the normal range."

"If they're so smart, why did they get caught, huh?" Michaels questions.

"You guys just got lucky."

I hear Michaels mumble something under his breath. Chuckling, I sit back on the seat.

****

Rachel

I see Joe moping towards our desks. His head is down, his shoulders slumped like he was put through the ringer. I notice the gloomy expression on his face as he gets closer.

"Your talk with the States Attorney didn't go well, I take it."

Walking over to my desk, Joe plops down in the chair. "He denies Allen has any part of the supposed framing."

"What about the phone?"

"Allen said that he picked it up, thinking it was his, when he discovered it wasn't, he laid it back down to be processed."

"What was his excuse for wanting the video?"

"Allen told him that it'll help win Julia's case."

"It sounds like the DA is really covering his ass, Boss."

"Yeah, and I'm beginning to wonder if the States Attorney isn't helping him. Did you lose your phone yesterday, Rachel?"

"No, why?"

"The janitor stopped me in the hallway and asked if you got your phone back. He said the DA asked if he'd found your cell phone, so he gave it to him."

"Maybe he found Julia's cell instead."

"Can I borrow your phone a minute? I'm going to see if it's the one he found." Grabbing it out of my hands, Joe dashes down the hall.

"Allen could've planted Julia's cell phone, to make it look like she was there."

"What about the bracelet, Sarge?" Jerry questions.

"He could've planted that too."

"How do you explain the time she went missing?"

"Maybe she took a walk like she said." Hearing footsteps coming towards me, I turn around.

"What did he say, Boss?" Jerry asks.

"The janitor said this wasn't the phone he gave Allen. He said the one he found has a flower backing and a large J in the center."

"That's definitely Julia's phone, but how would Allen know she left it in the bathroom?"

"Maybe she said something," Jerry pipes in.

"We need tangible proof, something that can't be explained away," I conclude.

"I know just how to get it," Joe says, walking towards the back.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.