General Fiction posted August 1, 2017 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...a Bernie and Howie story

A chapter in the book 2018 Bernie and Howie Stories

Summer Heat

by Mustang Patty


Dream sequence in green:

Cool bathroom tiles gave him some comfort from the unrelenting heat.  He was lying with his tummy on the floor and his feet pushed out to the sides.  Too tired to even wag his tail, Bernie let himself snooze.  His thoughts, as he drifted in dreamland, were about the beloved Mistress.  He knew she was safe, and that was all that really mattered.
 
One of the best parts about the world that came to him during sleep was the bounty of treats.  Tasty morsels grew on low branches of trees, and littered flower beds.  Bernie only needed to graze from place to place to satisfy his constant need.  Treats meant love, and the only thing missing from these delectable biscuits, were the comforting hands of the Mistress.
 
Within seconds of thinking about her, she showed up in this pleasant world.  Wearing her pajamas and lying in a soft bed, she beckoned to him.  Dropping the treat in his mouth, he rushed towards her.  At least he tried to rush to; it seemed that no matter how fast he moved his feet, the elusive mattress remained across the room.
 
Suddenly, blackness descended over the scene, and he felt the cold bathroom floor beneath him. 
 

Slowly opening his eyes, and mourning the loss of the dream, Bernie was awake.  Howie's feet were right in front of his face, and a favorite toy rolled into his nose.
 
The luxurious tail Howie spent so many hours cleaning, and the Mistress brushed every day, was wagging furiously, and Howie's tongue hung out.  Seeing that his actions woke Bernie, he growled his playful voice and invited Bernie to play.
 
Resigned to the loss of the dream, Bernie gathered his feet underneath him, and pushed himself to stand.  Still feeling the effects of the sleep-inducing heat, he stretched fore and aft.  As his head cleared, his grey and tawny, plumed tail wagged in anticipation of Howie's next move.
 
Well loved, and showing signs of constant play, the ball rolled on the floor.  Bernie nudged it with his nose in Howie's direction.  Before Howie could react, Bernie jumped forward and picked the ball up and ran.
 
Hot on his trail, Howie pursued his little brother with his tiny legs flying.  Growls and snarls filled the house as the two dogs ran the circuit of the rooms.  As always, the chase ended up in the living room.  Using the couch as a buffer, both dogs held their ground at either end.  It only took a small move, and the chase was on again.
 
"Really guys?  Isn't it too hot to chase each other?  Until the maintenance man comes to fix the air conditioner, I only have the fans to keep me cool," the Mistress stated, as she moved the paper accordion back and forth in front of her face.
 
At the sound of the Mistress's voice, Bernie lost interest in the game.  Jumping up on the couch, he placed his head under her hand.  Slowly, she began to pet him, and her fingers slipped to the lovely spot behind his ear.  In canine heaven, Bernie nestled into her hand.
 
"Is it really true that this spot releases doggy endorphins?  You certainly look like it, little dog."
 
Basking in the attention, Bernie wasn't paying any attention to Howie.  Howie was content with his beloved ball, and the little dog on the couch was in his favorite place in the world.
 
Maybe real life was better than the dream world.  But it would be nice if the Mistress gave him a treat.

 



Recognized


photo of Howie and his beautiful tail, taken by the author

Though Bernie was the main character in the story, Howie was okay with that, but only if I featured a picture of just him.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.