Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 28, 2017 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Larry and Julia try to prove they're innocent.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Collecting Evidence

by Mistydawn


Brief Summary
Julia kills her first husband, Andy to escape an abusive relationship. She steals his mistress's ID and moves to Arkansas. She starts a career and a family under the fictitious name. Everything is going well until the police discover a knife from another murder in her car. She claims she purchased it from a homeless man, for her second husband's birthday. Hearing about her arrest, her second husband Bill puts a restraining order on her and then moves the kids out of the city. Julia bonds out and is awaiting trial.She's staying with her boyfriend/ Lawyer Larry.

Marty threatens to kill Larry's family if he doesn't win Vinnie's case.
Larry recently found out his estranged wife and daughter are dead. He's being expedited to New York where the murders took place.

****


Larry

I'm sitting in the back of the squad car wishing I was anywhere but here. Unfortunately, I'm heading to the grand state of New York for a murder I didn't commit.

Why won't they believe me, why? I question, leaning my head against the icy window. The snow is falling heavily from the murky gray skies, making the day even gloomier.

"Are you warm enough back there?" one of the officers asks, turning to face me.

"Yeah, I guess so." Seeing the jelly stains on his uniform, powdered sugar residing on the corners of his mouth, a cop joke comes to mind. Smiling, I turn back towards the window.

"So, why did you do it?" the cop questions.

"I didn't kill my family, I swear I didn't."

"Don't tell us then, I don't care."

"You don't understand, I'm being framed by my client's uncle."

"We've heard that before haven't we, Michaels."

"That's for sure," he says, rolling his eyes.

"That's the truth, I swear it is."

"Whatever." Michaels turns back around.

Realizing these two clowns might be my last chance for justice, I spring to the edge of my seat. The sudden moment causes the fat boy to jump, spilling donuts crumbs on the floor.

"How could I've possibly taken a trip to New York when I've been in court all week?"

"You weren't in court last weekend, were you?" he asks, trying to scoop up the bigger pieces.

"Last weekend, what does that have anything to do with this?"

"We have proof that your wife and daughter were murdered early Saturday morning."

"They couldn't have been killed because I just talked to them a few hours ago."

"I don't know who you talked to, pal, but it wasn't your wife."

"Maybe he's a physic or something, Jefferies." They both laugh.

"My phone records will prove it was her."

"They've already checked and didn't find her number on the list," Jefferies adds, glancing in the mirror.

"I know I talked to her, I just know I did," I say, plopping against the seat.

"It looks like you're going away for a very long time, pal." Michaels snickers.

"You'd like that wouldn't you." I've had a few run-ins with these two in the past, so I figure they view this as revenge.

"I sure don't want a psycho killer like you out roaming the streets."

"I'm not a murderer, I'm not," I yell.

"The evidence proves otherwise."

"I'm being framed I swear I am. The tape will prove Marty is framing me."

"There is no tape, we've already checked."

"You checked the one in the study?"

"The machine was empty. Let me guess, Marty broke in and stole the tape." Jefferies snickers.

"I wouldn't doubt it."

"How would he even know it exists?"

"I don't know."

"I bet you're being framed for jury tampering too, right?" Jeffries questions, glancing in the mirror again.

"Yes!"

"Did Marty do that too?"

"Maybe, I don't know."

"People are framing you left and right, aren't they pal?" Michaels smirks.

"They really are!"

"Well, you're either one very unlucky sap, or you've made a lot of enemies."

"I have a feeling it's a little of both."

The cop shakes his head. "You know what I think, bud? I think you're a sick puppy who believes everyone is against you and that's why you're coming up with all of this framing shit. What's that called, Jeffries?"

"Delusional?"

Michaels chuckles. "He's that too, but there's another name for it, a mental condition."

"Persecution complex?"

"That's it. You have a persecution complex." Michaels laughs.

"Think what you want, but I know the truth."

"I do too. You did it and don't want to own up to it."

"I can't wait to prove you smart asses wrong, then I'll..."

"Hold it down, the captain is calling," Michaels says, reaching for his phone.

"Yes, Captain, really, I'll let him know." Hanging up his phone he turns towards Larry.

"Well, Bud, it looks like you visited New York last weekend after all."

"I was nowhere near the place."

"Then why is there a charge on your credit card to a bodega in Queens? Let me guess, Marty did that too." Michaels sarcastically replies.

Tired of their game, I decide not to respond.

Michaels tries again. "Did Marty do that too, or was it the one who's framing you for jury tampering?"

I continue to watch the snow as it continues to blanket the road.

"Is little Larry finally giving up?" he asks, glancing in the back seat.

"No, I'm just tired of arguing with you idiots."

"Who are you calling an idiot?" Michaels says, slamming his hands against the metal divider.

"If the shoe fits." You push my buttons, and I'll push yours, I think. Smiling, I lean against the window.

***

Rachel

Aggravated at the captain for not listening to me, I storm into the hallway. Slamming the door closed, I grab a hold of his arm.

Angry at me for arguing with him, Joe spins around.

"I don't see how she did this, Joe. She went to the bathroom and the vending machines, but that's the only time she's left the room all day."

"She could've snuck out when you weren't watching."

"I don't see how she could sneak off when I've been checking on her throughout the day. Besides she doesn't have a car and the crime scene is at least ten blocks from here."

"She could've called a friend or a taxi to pick her up."

"How could she shoot him when she doesn't own a gun?"

"She could've picked one up at the house or her friend could've brought her one."

"I don't think she's good for this Joe, I really don't, and you know my gut is usually right."

"Tell you what, I'll have Kirk check her phone, and I'll check the station's video, see what I can find."

"Thank you," I say running back in the room.

I see Julia crying at the table when I walk through the door.

"You know I didn't do this, Rachel. You know I didn't," she blubbers, wiping the tears off her face.

"I know you didn't and I'm going to prove it."

"How," she sobs, glancing up at me.

"Can I see your phone?"

"It's in my purse."

"Where's your purse?" I ask, glancing around the room.

"A Detective named Kirk took it; he said I'm not allowed to have it, now that I'm under arrest."

"I'll be right back." I see Jerry walking towards me when I step into the hall.

"Sergeant, Joe wants you to see what's on the security tapes."

"Where is he, Jerry?"

"In his office."

"Where's Kirk?"

"He's logging Julia's purse into evidence."

"Tell him to check the call log on her phone," I say, walking towards the captain's office. I see Joe staring at the computer when I knock on the door.

"I've already reviewed the tape once, but I want you to see it."

"See what, Captain?" I ask, walking over to him.

"This," he says, hitting the replay button.

"I see Julia leaving the building."

"Look at the time, Rachel."

I glance at the time stamp. "It's 5:45 pm."

"Approximately fifteen minutes before the crime occurred. I'll fast forward it half an hour and there she is coming back inside."

"Maybe she's getting a little fresh air," I suggest.

"That's what I thought too until I saw this," he says, pointing to a second monitor.

"She went around the side of the building, what's the big deal about that?"

"She was completely out of the camera's sight for over twenty-five minutes."

"Maybe she took a walk around the block or something, Joe."

"For twenty-five minutes?"

Hearing a knock on the door, I glance up.

"Sergeant, her phone isn't in her purse like she said. So I checked her calls through her service provider."

"What did you find out, Kirk?"

"It shows that she made a call to the taxi company at 5:36 pm. I called the taxi company to confirm it, and a driver said he remembers picking her up at the station and dropping her off at 255 Adam's street, which is Larry's house. Twenty minutes later she asks to be picked up and taken to the station."

"Where did he pick her up the second time?"

"From where he dropped her off."

"There has to be a logical explanation for this," I say, storming out of the room.

~~~

Julia jumps in her seat when the door slams against the wall.

"I'm tired of your games, Julia, so you better come clean with me and you better do it now."

"Come clean about what, I don't know what you're talking about, Sergeant?"

"Why didn't you tell me you went to Larry's house?"

"I haven't been anywhere but here since the cops picked me up."

"Then why do we have you on video leaving the station and why is there a call to the taxi company on your phone?"

"I took a walk to clear my head, try to find a way to help Larry, but I didn't call a taxi and I didn't go home."

"Your phone records prove you made the call and the taxi driver remembers dropping you off and picking you up at Larry's house," I yell, slamming my hand on the table.

"That wasn't me, I swear it wasn't," she bawls.

"Lying to me will only get you into more trouble," I warn.

"I'm not lying to you, Rachel, I promise I'm not," she sobs.

"Just when I was starting to believe you too," I say. I see Jerry standing by the door when I storm out of the room.

"I called Julia's phone, to see if I could trace it, but a young boy answers before I could get a location. When I question him about the phone, he says, he found it lying on a rock by where the guy was shot."

"Are the officers picking it up, Jerry?"

"Yes."

"Let me know when it gets here."

"I will. Oh, and Sergeant, we found a taxi receipt dated for today in Julia's purse."

"I wonder what she'll say about that."


Berryville Pd Staff
Joe the captain, married to Rachel.
Rachel the sergeant.
Jerry a detective
Kirk, a detective.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.