General Non-Fiction posted July 25, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How a new baby slips into an already bulging household.

The fifth child

by Possummagic


It was noisy in the room. ........ noisy and hot........... and what on earth was that bright shining thing above them all?
Where she had just come from it was dark, and snug and oh so quiet. Already the comforting bump, bump, bump bump of her mothers heartbeat was becoming a distant memory. She blinked, once, twice, three times...but everything was so hazy.

Then she thought that here heart would stop. What...... ? wait.....! . what....... ? wait........ ! What on earth are they doing to my tummy..? Oh my goodness, what are they.........? snip............... and suddenly the separation was complete.

Then she turned her head and snuggled into her mothers arms and felt immediately safe and secure. A slight nudge and an engorged button popped into her mouth and suddenly there was an explosion of warm, silky magic which she instinctively gulped greedily. Hmmm maybe this isn't so bad after all!

Just when she thought she was in heaven, another pair of hands picked her up and lowered her into a bath of warm water. "Nooooooooo" she wanted to scream, she couldn't understand why every time she felt safe and secure, she was subjected to yet another ordeal.

Please can I have the button back? Can I have the cuddly warm place back? uh uh........ What's this stuff? I feel like I'm back inside Mummy's tummy, not all curled up but somehow floating in warm, wet liquid that smells kind of nice. I think the person with the funny hat said it was Lavender........ Oh that must be my new favorite scent. I have a funny feeling this is just the beginning of scents and sounds and sensations; of feeling warm and snug or wet and hungry; of slumber and wakefulness,; of dozing and dreaming; this is the beginning of .......... LIFE!

Julia Leigh was the fifth child , born to Anne and Joseph Tanner of Liverpool England.There were two older brothers, Jack and Paul and two older sisters, Sophie and Mary.

Julia Leigh was born at full term (as were all of her other siblings) at Liverpool Maternity Hospital, after an unremarkable pregnancy. Her Mummy simply turned up at the hospital on the nominated day, September the first, nineteen sixty one, and voila..............four hours later Julia Leigh made her appearance.

At eight pounds and eleven ounces, she was her mothers largest baby, born with a shock of jet black hair and the most beautiful pair of almond shaped, piercing blue eyes. All of the Tanner children had inherited their fathers gorgeous blue eyes; possibly varying in shape and size but all were blessed with eyes as blue as cornflowers.

A quiet placid babe, Julia Leigh achieved all of her milestones at the appropriate times and soon found her place within the bulging seams of the Tanner household. The older children adored her and fought for a cuddle whenever they could. Julia Leigh obliged by cooing and smiling and generally being very cute. Mummy made lots of cute little dresses for her, as she did for us older girls too, and there was always a cute bonnet to go with each outfit.

At 4 weeks of age, Julia Leigh was christened at St Marks Parish Church, just across the road from where we lived and where the siblings went to school. Her Godparents were Brian Tanner ( Dad's father) and his daughter Alice, and they travelled up from Essex for the occasion. Also there on the day were Aunty Sue and Uncle Martin and our cousins, Trudy and Annie. That being the case, there was a lovely big family gathering at home afterwards. Lots of noise, everyone trying to make themselves heard over the din of 6 children and a tired, overstimulated baby. Tiny triangular shaped sandwiches, cheese, cold meats, pickled onions and crackers; the most gorgeous trifle which was Mummy's specialty and little cakes topped with lemon icing. Dandelion and burdoch to wash it down and a most welcomed cup of tea for the women, whilst the men folk "wet the babies head" with an ale or two. A lovely day was had by all and a very tired little Julia Leigh was washed, changed and fed and popped into her cot, before the sun had gone down on the day.



True Story contest entry


We were a family of two parents and four children very close in age. Then along came the fifth child and tested our unity. We loved our baby sister at first sight and tried to protect her in any way we could.
Picture courtesy of Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Possummagic All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Possummagic has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.