Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 26, 2017 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Her name is Veronica and don't you dare forget it!

A chapter in the book Brandon McCann

Mommie Dearest, Or Is That Dullest?

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Brandon McCann turns up missing en route to visit grandparents in Orlando, Florida
Previously I have introduced Brandon McCann to readers of this book. I have also characterized his father Doctor Herbert McCann. Now, I proudly present to you for your reading enjoyment his mother Veronica McCann...Brandon's Mommie Dearest!

After this chapter, I will then continue with the story, picking it up from:

"Becky! Becky Johnson! How's you doing?" an old, grey-black porter, with snow-white hair, called to her.

Having not spoken to Otis Mills for a couple weeks, Becky turned her head in his direction. Her attention diverted for a moment to respond to his question. She knew it was her responsibility to not take her eyes off Brandon until she'd safely delivered him to his grandparents anxiously awaiting his arrival at the gate. She had escorted several young fliers before. When Becky turned back to where Brandon was supposed to be, all she noticed was his suitcase riding around on the carousel.

In a crowded airport, among a massive throng of humanity scurrying about in a multitude of different directions, Brandon McCann vanished. (Which is the ending of Chapter 1)

Some reviewers have tried to read more into these characterizations than was intended to be reflected. Please, just accept this chapter for what it is: the introduction of Brandon's Mommie Dearest.

Word Count: 1,172

Member Cents: 82


********************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************


Domineering, demanding, and controlling, Veronica McCann was a first class diva, and a spoiled rotten, whiney, little witch. Everyone who encountered her knew it. She'd latched onto Herbert McCann the moment he graduated from the Bowdan University School of Medicine. Dollar signs flashed in her emerald eyes. She figured he was her meal ticket.

Although there was little passion between the two of them, Veronica married Herbert in a lavish black tie affair ceremony in front of 250 acclaimed guests. Her extensive wedding gift harvest brought a huge smile to her puckered lips.

'The more the merrier!' she thought to herself as she adored each and every precious token she received.

On the other hand, Herbert McCann feigned interest to satisfy his new bride. He suffered from the "Yes, Dear" syndrome.

Eighteen months into wedded euphoria, Brandon Alexander McCann came on the scene. He arrived red and wrinkled, scared and crying, like newborns do and severely cramped his mother's style. Somehow, the maternal bond between Veronica and her infant did not develop as it should have. Veronica's nerves could not handle the baby's constant fussing.

A stay-at-home mother, Veronica never tried to improve their relationship either. Instead, she absorbed herself in some activity, like reading or watching Daytime Soap Operas, and ignored young Brandon's hollering ...until she couldn't stand anymore.

As Brandon aged, less and less he could discover ways to please her. He always seemed to be in his mother's path to other, more pleasurable, things she wanted to do. He was constantly belittled for every minor infraction he committed. The only time Brandon received any relief from his mother's relentless trepidation was when his father was home.

On those rare occasions, Veronica treated Brandon like he was made of solid gold. Herbert McCann never realized the depth of the ridicule Veronica held for Brandon. Somehow, she managed to keep the wool pulled over his blinded eyes.

'All I have to do is treat Herbert like a mushroom. Feed him bull and keep him in the dark.' Veronica impelled herself.

Upon Brandon's tenth birthday, Veronica organized his enrollment in the Union Fork Military Academy in Boise, Idaho. A school that maintained an ethereal reputation. When Herbert McCann learned about her intentions, the worst verbal altercation the couple ever engaged in erupted. Mount Vesuvius had nothing on their volcanic exchange. He would have no part of sending his son to any military school! Their compromise was to permit Brandon to visit his grandparents in Orlando, Florida for the summer.

'At least that eliminates that complication for three months' Veronica happily declared to herself. She could tolerate that arrangement.

Three years later, after Brandon departed for his summer vacation, Veronica's secret agenda appeared. She wrote a note and left it laying in the middle of the dining room table where Herbert was sure to locate the communication. She snatched her suitcase, and her cosmetic bag, and headed for the door. She would send for her other personal belongings after she settled into Baltimore.

Veronica's note read:

"Herbert,

While you provide me the finer things in life and a beautiful home, there is so much more that I need than to just be Brandon's mother and your wife. Too often you leave me alone, and you never give me little gifts. Not even on our anniversary. Which, by the way, was last Tuesday, though you forgot! For too long, I have accepted your career, and being the Chair of the Cardiac Care Unit at the hospital, are very important to you. However, I'm tired of being taken for granted. I can't even get a kiss, or a passionate hug, out of you anymore. Brandon's getting older now, and he certainly does not need me much, he never did, so I've gone to walk the streets of Baltimore in search of the kind of love I desperately seek. I just can't keep holding on. Don't come looking for me. I won't be there!"

The letter was signed with a simple, "Goodbye! My attorney will be in touch."

The only other item Veronica insured she had in her possession upon departing the home she'd broken, was the Gerber Grow Up Plan life insurance policy she'd faithfully paid on every month since Brandon was two years old. His own father never knew she purchased that policy.

Once en route, Veronica extracted her smartphone from her purse and called a number. She did not like loose ends. Veronica knew a house can not stand when it has an occasional wife. Doctor Herbert McCann no longer had that much.

Cast of Characters:

Brandon McCann - 13-year-old boy from Bangor, Maine. Vanished at the baggage reclaim area of the Orlando International Airport.

Doctor Herbert McCann - Brandon's father and the Chair of the Cardiac Care Unit of the Bangor Cardiovascular Center.

Veronica McCann - Brandon's Mommie Dearest and wife of Doctor Herbert McCann.

Becky Johnson - Flight attendant assigned to escort Brandon to his grandparents waiting at the gate at the Orlando International Airport.

Otis Mills - Porter who distracted Becky Johnson just before Brandon McCann vanished.





Recognized


Some children's mothers are just witches!







Come To Me My Little Dearie, by beppe47, selected to complement this chapter of my book.

So, thanks beppe47, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with this chapter of my book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.