Romance Fiction posted July 23, 2017 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...another part of Jenny and Ron's Story

A chapter in the book The Products of Love

When Love turns to Hate

by Mustang Patty




Background
'The Products of Love' is the story of Jenny and Ron. Their love affair started out so sweet, and then life stepped in and things got rocky. Can this deep connection ever be broken?
From the last chapter:
He [Ron] had to make her listen.  Maybe the problem was the flowers and phone calls didn't allow them to meet face to face.  Ron suddenly knew he needed to go to her apartment and talk to her.  Then, he could explain and make Jenny listen to reason.  He had to get her back.  Hopelessly in love, he did his best to come up with a plan to talk to her.

 
While Jenny was furiously cleaning her apartment, music thumped with the heavy bass from her stereo.  She simply had to do something to get the image of Ron out of her head.  Earlier that day in the cafeteria, he looked like he was actually hurting?  Could that even be true?  No, he was the one who was obviously lying about his love for her – why else would he have been with that…that woman?
 
Despite her intention to protect her heart, she had actually slept with him.  While it was undoubtedly the best sex she'd ever known, though she didn't have much to compare it with, she felt awful about it now.  Did he really think so little of her that just two days after they'd made love, he felt free to wander?  How could he have forgotten the words he's said to her that night?  Anger ignited and shame colored her cheeks.  He had played her for the fool.
 
Her mind, heart, and body were just sick about it all.  She continually felt queasy and her appetite was totally off.  The past six weeks had been very dismal.
 
Thinking that she heard something, Jenny went and turned down the stereo.  Yes…there it was--a knock on the door.  Wiping her hands on the dust rag, she opened the door.  Emotions of surprise and then scorn erupted in her brain.
 
----------@#
 
Ron felt his heart leap in his chest at the sight of her.  Jenny's face was beautiful even without any makeup.  While her face didn't show gladness that he was there, it was still wonderful to be so close to her.  He was mesmerized by her beauty, and so thankful she had opened the door.
 
Thrusting out the flowers he held in his hand, he murmured, "These are for you."
 
She didn't take them from him.  Instead, her face turned beet red and her eyes narrowed.  Irish roots betrayed her and brought sparks and temper to the forefront.  Her voice was taut and restrained, "Maybe, you'd better come in so we can talk.  I don't want my neighbors to know my business."
 
As soon as the door was closed behind him, he felt her wrath.
 
"What good do you think these will do?" she hissed as she knocked the flowers to the floor.  Her anger felt like another being in the room.  Wild energy surrounded her as her voice rose with each word.
 
"Do you really think flowers will do any good?  Do you not realize how much you hurt me?  How could you?  I thought we were in a serious relationship.  Why else would I have slept with you?  I told you I needed a commitment before that could happen.  You told me you saw a future for us – you practically proposed!  Why?"
 
Trying to comprehend the barrage of questions, he searched for the answers.  His mind processing the scene in front of him, he was at a loss.  He had planned to tell her all about Veronica.  He couldn't stand the screaming and anger.  Never having been in an adult relationship, he didn't understand the pain or the fighting.  He had no clue as to what happened when people made up.  In his heart, this could never be made right. 
 
Stubborn pride got in the way.  Feelings of anger and resentment rose to the top.  Who was she to assume the worst about him?  Why didn't he have the right to have a glass of wine with a friend?  He hadn't done anything wrong and she wouldn't allow him to explain.  He would set her straight.
 
"I didn't lie and I didn't set out to hurt you.  You aren't even giving me a chance to explain.  I'm not the man you seem to see in me.  And, um, I did not practically propose.  There wasn't a ring, was there?"
 
----------@#
 
Jenny couldn't believe her ears.  Was he angry with her for being upset?  What?  She was the injured party.  How on earth could he be saying these things?  Was there a ring?  How dare he?  Didn't he remember the words he'd whispered in her ear?
 
"I've never felt this way about anyone and I never will again.  You bring all the joy and wonder to my life I've always wanted.  Jenny…you're the one for me."
 
Angry tears sprang to her eyes, but she did her best to hold them back.  She would not allow him to see her cry.  She wouldn't let a splotchy red face be his last memory of her.
 
She drew a deep breath, and rose to her full height of five foot four.  "You are the most horrible person I've ever known Ronald Grimley!  You were the one who threw everything away.  You were the one that cheated on me just a few days after we made love.  You ruined this.  And, you can't get it back.  I'm done."
 
----------@#
 
Angrier more than he could remember, Ron didn't feel hurt or loss.  He only wanted to hurt her like she hurt him.  "Well, I guess it is over then," he choked out.  "I will leave now, and it goes back to before we ever knew each other.  If you see me in the shipyard, just ignore me because I will certainly ignore you." 
 
With those words, he turned and grabbed the door knob.  Would she try to stop him?  Would her tears fall and bring back the lovely girl he once knew?  Hesitating for just a moment, he hoped beyond hope.  Turning to look at her, he saw she hadn't moved, nor had the anger dissipated.
 
His heart hardened and he made himself just hate her.  It was the only way he could find the strength to walk out the door.  "Goodbye Jenny Austin.  It was fun while it lasted."
 
----------@#
 
Watching the door close behind the man she had once loved with all her heart absolutely destroyed her.  She let the tears begin to flow and emotions ran through her body.  As the adrenaline dissolved, she felt herself going limp.  She crumpled to the floor and released her sadness, anger, shame, and feelings of loss.
 
A good cry would usually help, but all Jenny felt was nauseous.  Running to the bathroom, she felt everything she'd eaten that day come up and out.  Lying on the floor with her head against the cold porcelain of the toilet, she realized it was over.
 
Sick, tired, and feeling depleted, she did the only thing she could do.  She decided to hate him.  If she felt that way, she could move on.
 
 
…to be continued
 

 

 



Recognized


thank you to Susan F.M.T for the use of her artwork

I wrote this story based on a friend's recollections. I've known her for over thirty years and I was there at the beginning of this story. Through the magic of the internet and free long distance, I've been able to hear about the whole story.

With her permission, I've developed a story line based on what happened between her and her lover. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.

Cast of Characters;

Jenny Austin; a twenty-three-year-old who works in the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard as a Supply Clerk.

Ron Grimsley; a twenty-seven-year-old who also works in the Shipyard as a Journeyman Carpenter.

Patty; Jenny's best friend

Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Susan F. M. T. at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.