General Fiction posted July 22, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A girl can dream...

The Genie

by Heather Knight


Not long ago, on a day like many others, I went to a nearby forest to walk my dog, Daisy.

I could hear little birds singing above me and squirrels jumping from branch to branch, but apart from that there was absolute peace.

All of a sudden, I noticed a discarded water bottle. I bent down to pick it up.

'People are such pigs! Why can't they take their trash with them?' I said aloud.

It was then that the bottle shook in my hand. I was so surprised that I was about to drop it. Looking more carefully, I noticed a shiny blue liquid at the bottom and I opened it to smell it.

'Oh, thank goodness! It was really cramped in there!'

The creature speaking was a tiny fairy that had flown out of the bottle as soon as I removed the top. She had striking red hair and purple eyes. A most peculiar combination, if you ask me.

'Who are you?' I asked.

'I'm a genie.'

'You don't look like one.'

'What were you expecting? A big blue guy with a goatee? You shouldn't watch so many Disney films.'

I felt insulted, but I didn't say anything.

After a while she continued talking.

'So are you going to start making wishes or what?'

'Are you pulling my leg?'

In the meantime, Daisy was chasing butterflies and pretending not to listen, but I knew she was intrigued by the stranger and wondering if she would taste nice.

'Well, try and you'll see,' the genie said.

'Okay... I want you to put an end to all wars.'

'Good choice. Selfless... Done.'

'Thanks... I guess. But how do I know you are telling the truth?'

'Just watch the news when you get home. Okay then, next wish.'

'How many do I get?'

'Three, of course. How can you possibly be so ignorant?'

'So my second wish is a cure for cancer and all other fatal diseases. And if you could also end poverty...'

'That's more like two wishes, but okay. I'm feeling generous today.'

'What else do you want?'

'I'm going to use the last one for myself. I want to become a famous published author.'

'Granted,' she said.

What? You're expecting me to say this was all a dream? You're mistaken. It wasn't...

It's just a story that I've made up and this is where it ends... Unfortunately. Time to go back to the real world.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.