General Fiction posted July 20, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Poetic prose

The Most Beautiful Thing

by Heather Knight


I looked out of the window and noticed a little bird hopping on a branch. It was brown and dainty, its wings soft as cotton wool. I wanted to take a picture, but it flew away before I had time to fetch my camera.

And I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I looked out of the window and I spotted an orange butterfly fluttering among the leaves of a rose bush. Its body shone in the sun like a shower of gold nuggets. I wonder if it knew how short its life would be and if it cared.

And I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I looked out of the window and I spied a stripy cat elegantly striding down the path. Its green eyes were piercing drops of jade and its tiny face was sheer perfection.

And I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I looked out of the window and I spotted a crocus that had grown overnight. I jumped down the stairs to have a closer look. Its petals were like saffron-tinted satin fit for an Indian bride.

And I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I looked out of the window and I noticed a squirrel feasting on an acorn. Its bushy tail stood upright and its pointy teeth gave it a naughty look. When it saw me coming closer, it climbed up a tree as fast as one of those modern trains that never stop at tiny villages.

And I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I looked out of the window and I spied a car. I saw my beloved opening the gate and walking towards me. His jacket was slung over his shoulder, his back hunched. He looked tired after a long day at the office, but his face was sweet as usual and he smiled when he saw me.

And I realized HE was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.