Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 2, 2017 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Julia's past came back to haunt her

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

The Killer Strikes Again

by Mistydawn




Background
Escaping an abusive marriage, Julia starts a new life under a fictitious name. Everything is perfect until she's forced to face her past. Larry has to represent a murderer to keep his daughter alive.
Julia
I hear someone pounding on the front door, as I slowly come to. looking around, I realize that, I'm lying on the dining room floor.

Why am I down here? I ask, trying to recall what happened. I then remember seeing the black SUV sitting in front of the house.

Oh, my God, he found me, he finally found me, I think, quickly sitting up. Millions of ideas run through my head as I try to figure out what to do. My thoughts are interrupted by someone banging on the door.

"I know you're in there, so you better open this door before I break it down."

I need to get out of here. Scrambling to my feet, I race to the back of the house. I'm halfway across the dining room when I notice a group of people standing on the porch.

Now, what am I going to do? I think, quickly scanning my surroundings. I hear something hard bang against the front door as I try to come up with a plan. Turning, I see the flimsy frame vibrating from the impact. He's trying to break it down. I then recall Larry's revolver in the study.

Running into the room, I yank the desk drawer open. Items scatter across the bottom from the sudden jolt. Grabbing the 32 and box of shells, I toss them on the desk.

"You can do this, Julia," I say, anxiously scooping up the weapon. How did Larry do this? I ask, trying to recall what he'd shown me, a few short hours ago.

I hear a loud crash and then a set of footsteps stomping through the house. I have to hurry. I try to load the chamber, but my hands are trembling so badly that I'm having trouble getting the bullets into the hole. I can do this, I think, grabbing another bullet from the box. I hear the heavy footsteps getting closer as the shell drops to the floor. Scooping up the last bullet, I try again. Dropping the metal object into the compartment, I snap the cylinder in place.

"Remember Julia, aim, and shoot." I hear Larry's voice echo in my head.

"Aim and shoot, aim and shoot," I nervously repeat.

"Hold it right there," a deep voice orders.

I look up to see a brawny figure standing at the door.

"Aim and shoot," I say. My arms start quivering as I raise the weapon towards the man. Aim and shoot I repeat, pulling back on the trigger.

I watch as his large body falls to the floor. Looking down, I see he's lying motionless on the neon carpet. I then notice the blood seeping from a hole in his shoulder. I've got to get out of here. Jumping over his crumpled body, I dash through the house. I see a large crowd gathering on the lawn when I step on the front porch.

"Look, it's the killer, and she's got a gun," a lady screams, racing to her car.

***

Larry

"Would you care to cross-examine, counselor?"

"Yes, your honor," I say, rising from my seat. glancing at my notes, I walk towards the wooden podium.

"According to your statement you invited the police in, is that correct?"

"Yes, they said they're looking for my roommate. I told them he wasn't home yet, but he should be here soon."

"So they decided to wait inside for him?"

"Yes."

"You were present when they found the evidence, is that correct?"

"Yes, they found the clothes in the trash, the shoes and gun in the closet."

"Who owns the weapon?"

"I do, Sir. I used to take it target practicing every weekend, but I haven't done that in a while."

"I have a witness that claims you were bragging about your flawless shoot two weekends ago."

"That sounds about right."

"Flawless shooting is very impressive, you must have great marksmanship."

"I've been practicing a lot." He smiles proudly.

"I see, so explain to me how your DNA ended up on the bloody clothes?"

"Vinnie and I wear each other's clothes a lot. It's what roommates do, right?"

"Do you wear the other's shoes too?"

"Sometimes we do," he says, shifting around.

"You told the police that you were at work when the murder occurred, correct?"

"That's right; my time card will prove I was there."

"Couldn't one of your coworkers clock you in without you being there?"

"I suppose so, but I doubt if any of them would."

"Your friend Bart claims that he saw you at work that day."

"Yeah, we talked a few minutes before I went to the shed."

"How do we know he wouldn't do you a favor and lie to the police? Especially considering his extensive criminal history and his lack of respect for the law?" Seeing the DA stand, I turn towards the judge.

"I withdraw my question, your Honor."

The jury will keep my statement in mind regardless of his ruling, I think, turning towards the group. Seeing they're hanging on my every word, I continue.

"I've talked to your other co-workers and Bart seems to be the only one who remembers seeing you that day."

"I was doing inventory in the shed the entire shift."

"You expect us to believe that he was the only one out of the two dozen employees that saw you?"

"I guess," he replies, nervously fidgeting in his seat.

"You didn't talk to anyone at lunch, or when you took a bathroom break?"

"I never left the shed."

"Not even to use the restroom?"

"There are plenty of trees around back."

"So you did leave the shed."

"Just to take a leak," he meekly replies, turning towards the DA.

"If you did inventory that day, then why is the list dated for the day before?"

"I started working on it the day before but finished it up the next day. That's why I came in early, so I could finish it up."

"Your boss claims that you finished the inventory on the ninth, not the tenth."

"I told him I was finished with it, so I wouldn't get into trouble."

"Do you lie to your boss a lot, Mr. Murphy?"

"I object your honor, his work habits aren't on trial here."

That's what I've been waiting for. Smiling, I turn towards the jury.

"Since Mr. Murphy has access to the murder weapon, has perfect aim, could've hidden the clothes in the trash just as easily as my client, and is known to be dishonest, maybe he should be on trial." I see the DA drag his hefty body out of the chair, a concerned look on his face. Smiling, I add the finishing touch.

"I have no further questions for this fraudulent witness, your honor."

***

Rachel

My two detectives and I are skimming through the evidence we have on Julia. All three of us were convinced that she was telling the truth, then the witness came forward and now we're not so sure.

"Maybe someone paid him to lie," Jerry suggests.

"Or maybe he has a vendetta against her and sees this as an opportunity to get even," Kirk quickly adds.

"Those are both possibilities I suppose. I do know he's telling us the truth about one thing." I sigh, glancing towards my computer.

"What's that Sergeant?"

"He was parked in front of the deli a little before 8:30," I say, pointing to my computer screen. The guys look over to see his black SUV sitting at the front door.

"Jerry, I want you to finish talking to the people on your list, and Kirk, I want you to see if there's any connection between the witness and Julia. I'll try to get a hold of his phone records, see who he's been talking to recently."

"Ah Sergeant, you're going to want to see this."

"What is it Kirk?" I ask, walking over to his desk.

"This was just posted on YouTube. They claim they're streaming it live." I see a video of Julia standing on Larry's porch waving a gun in the air, people are screaming in the background.

"We need to get over there now," I say, racing for the door.

"I'll call patrol have them meet us over there," Jerry says, grabbing the phone off his desk.

Larry

I start to grab my notes off the table when I notice a red box flashing on my phone. What the heck? I think, quickly scooping it up. I see attempted burglary in bold black letters scroll across the screen. Attempted burglary, at my house? I then notice the dozen missed calls from the alarm company. I better find out what's going on. I start to ask for a recess when a picture of my house flashes on the screen. Zooming in the photo, I see my front door demolished in the entryway. I then recall the threat that was made on Julia's life. She might be in danger.

I didn't want to leave her by herself, but the police assured me they'd double the patrol. I showed her how to set the alarm and how to load my weapon as extra precautions.

"Is there a problem, Counselor?" the judge asks.

I shakily turn towards the front. "C...can I have a recess, your Honor?"

He glances towards the clock hanging on the far wall. "The court is in recess for one hour," the judge states, banging his gavel on the bench.

"What's going on, Larry?" Vinnie asks.

"Do you have something to do with this, Marty, do you?" I ask, shoving my phone in his face.

"Why would I do something like that?"

I give him a skeptical look.

"Honest, Larry, it wasn't me."

I see the corner of his mouth turn upward as he tries to keep from smiling.

"I don't have time for your bullshit, Marty." I spat, running for the door.

I start dialing Julia's number as I dash into the hall. Please pick up, please pick up, I beg, shoving my way through the crowd. I hear Julia's shaky voice after the fourth ring.

"Hello?"

"Oh Julia, thank God you're alright," I say, sprinting to my car.

"It's awful, Larry, just awful," she cries into the phone.

"What is honey?"

"I shot an intruder and now I have the SWAT team all over the yard."

"I'm on my way."





I want to thank all of you for your continuous support and for all of your helpful suggestions. Because of you, my writing is steadily improving. Take care.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.