General Fiction posted July 1, 2017 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Iris goes to the doctor's

A chapter in the book Iris

April 24th

by Heather Knight




Background
The girls in the picture are my daughter Iris (the dark-haired one) and her friend Lara when they were seven.
Iris's doctor really said she was the prettiest baby he'd ever seen.
Before in Because I Found You In A Cabbage Patch: Iris started feeling unwell, but didn't tell her Mum not to worry her.

Last night I read in bed till eleven. I'm in the middle of the second Harry Potter book and would have stayed up longer, but Mum made me turn off my light.

'It's a school day tomorrow,' Mum said kissing my forehead.

When I grow up, I want to be a writer like J.K. Rowling. It must be wonderful to be able to invent stories that make lots of people happy. I wonder what you have to study to become a writer. I'll ask Mum in the morning.

It took me quite a while to fall asleep. I tossed and turned for a long half hour at least. My leg hadn't got any better and by the time school finished, I was really tired. The truth was, I was worried sick.

This morning when I woke up, I didn't ask Mum to let me stay in bed a bit longer. I was eager to see if I could walk properly. I put on my slippers and stood up but had to sit down again immediately. Both my legs were feeling weak now.

'Mum!' I shouted, fear taking over.

'What's wrong, sweetie?' she asked.

'I'm not feeling well.'

She touched my cheek and winced.

'You are burning up. Lie down again. I'll call the doctor's and ask for an appointment.'

Just then Marcus walked into the room.

'She was already sick yesterday. Her leg hurts. You should tell the doctor that.'

'I will. Do you think you can take the bus to school today, Marcus?'

'Of course.'

Mum called the doctor's office and got an appointment for eleven thirty. Then she brought me breakfast in bed and some Tylenol to bring my temperature down. Even though I was feeling lousy I enjoyed the attention.

I balanced the tray on my legs and ate slowly. After finishing my toast, I lay back on my pillow and watched Mum as she busied herself picking my clothes from the floor. For once, she didn't tell me off and it made me feel somewhat guilty. I enjoyed looking at her, I always do. My Mum is very pretty, but a bit plump. She looks like a teddy bear you can cuddle when you are feeling sad. I would never tell her this because she's always obsessing about her weight.

At eleven, Mum told me to get dressed. I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep again and her voice made me wake up with a start.

At the doctor's office, I read my Harry Potter and Mum looked around. Mum can never read when she's worried but I would read even in the middle of an earthquake. I love books so much...

There were only three more children, so I assumed we wouldn't have to wait much longer. And I was right.

'Iris Garcia,' a shrill voice said. The nurse calling my name was new or at least I had never seen her before. She was very young and, in her make up and elegant dress, looked totally out of place. I bet she wanted to be a model and was just doing this job to make a living in the meantime.

We walked into Dr Brown's office, Mum first, I behind. Limping.

'Long time no see, Iris. How are you?'

Dr Brown is a genuinely nice man. There aren't many like him. He's been my doctor ever since I was born and I feel comfortable in his presence.

He must be about to retire because he looks really old. His hair is white and his face is all wrinkled. That's why I can't understand when Mum and some of the neighbours speak about him and say he's handsome. Really classy, they say.

Mum says when I was a baby he once told her I was the most beautiful little girl he'd ever seen. He said that even though I was not a classical beauty, my face had a cuteness that made it extra special. I guess that's a big compliment.

We explained what was wrong and he typed away on his computer. He seemed to have got used to it. I remember when he first got a computer at the office, he was all flustered and complained about modern technology, saying he had been happy before, thank you very much.

'It's probably just the flu, but I want you to have a blood test just to be on the safe side.'

Whenever we go to the doctor's, Mum takes me to Burger King afterwards as a treat. Today, she asked me if I was up to it. I was about to say I'd rather go home, but I've never been able to resist a Whopper. So in the end, Mum drove us to the nearest burger joint. Fortunately it was early and the queue wasn't very long.

We ordered, and when our food was ready, sat down at one of the tables I like. The ones that have sofa-like seats on both sides. They are called booths, aren't they?

'Do you think it's just the flu, Mum?' I asked.

'Positive,' she mumbled, her mouth full. She was smiling but her eyes were sad. Maybe she was not so sure after all.

When we finished eating, she asked me if I wanted to go shopping for shoes as mine were looking pretty shabby.

'Not today, Mum. I'm too tired.'

'Let's go home then.'

Mum had asked for the day off to take me to the doctor's, so once home, she suggested we watch a film together.

I opened the cupboard and started rummaging through our DVDs. I came across Patch Adams and without knowing why I felt my stomach contract with fear. It didn't make any sense, it was just a DVD with a picture of a doctor with a red nose. He looked friendly and all.

In the end we watched Letters to Juliet. Both Mum and I love chick flicks. But this is one of my favourites, it's incredibly romantic. It's about this old lady who is trying to find the man she used to love a gazillion years before.

When the film was about to finish, we heard Marcus's key turn in the lock.

'Hi! What did the doctor say?' he asked. I found it endearing that he was worried about me.

'Nothing much. It's probably just the flu.'

'And the leg thing?'

Mum just shrugged her shoulders, pressed play on the remote and Marcus left the room. I wondered if she wasn't really worried or just pretending not to care.

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.