Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 24, 2017 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Julia's life is threatened.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

The Warning

by Mistydawn




Background
Julia is trying to prove her innocence on a murder she didn't commit.
Larry has to win a case if he wants to keep his daughter alive.
Julia
The coffee container slips out of my fingers when Larry screams. Looking down, I see broken glass scattered across the floor. Hearing Larry yell again, I run through the house.

I find him standing motionless in the entryway. His handsome tan face is white as a ghost, horror filled his eyes.

Glancing down to where he's staring, I see a bloody figure lying on the porch. Getting a little bit closer, I realize who it is.

"Not my daughter," I scream, dropping to my knees.

Running to my side, Larry squats down beside me.

"They did it, they killed my daughter," I say, falling against him. I feel his muscular arms pull me in closer as I continue to cry.

"Why Larry, why did they have to kill my poor innocent baby?" I sob.

***

Rachel

Half convinced that Julia isn't our killer, I decided to investigate on my own. I'll use a method laughingly known as the old Rachel way.

Joe says my methods are very unorthodox, and he'd rather I not use them. Although they're not standard protocol, they get the job done when my partners fail.

Wearing the dirtiest rags I can find, I head to the streets. Looking around, I see a few people huddling near a fire. It is a little chilly tonight, I think. Pulling the coat around myself, I start walking towards them.

"Hey, I'm looking for a guy."

"There are plenty of them around here, honey." The old lady laughs, gesturing towards the large crowd. I see dozens of people snuggling around burning cans. Looking closer, I see small fires down the entire alley. I didn't realize we have such a problem, I think, scanning the growing crowd. I wonder if Joe knows about this. Maybe I should mention it to him, just in case.

"I'm sure any of them would be glad to help you out, including myself." A toothless man winks. I shudder at the thought.

"No, no, I'm looking for a specific guy. He's about 5'8; he has dark hair, scrawny build and he carries an old army backpack."

"You don't want to mess with him, honey," the old lady warns.

"Why do you say that?"

"He's loco in the cabeza," she says, twirling her finger around in a circle, near her head.

"He's crazy?"

"He slices people for the fun of it, and then brags about what he's done." She runs her filthy finger across her neck. Seeing the horror in my eyes, she smiles.

"I heard he escaped from a mental institution," the man adds.

"He was in a mental institution?"

"Yeah, they put him in there after he slaughtered his family," another one states.

"He killed his family?" Julia is lucky to be alive.

"Butchered them into tiny pieces, then fed them to the hogs. The police claim, there was blood and guts strung from the house all the way to the barn. They say..."

My stomach starts to churn as he describes the horrific site. I then feel vomit rise in my throat.

"Oh my God," I say, ducking behind some trees.

"I think you've said enough, Clyde," she scolds, sympathetically glancing my way.

Vomit continues to spew from my mouth, despite the eerie silence. Why did I react like that? I question, trying to settle my stomach. The last time gory details made me sick, I was pregnant with Joe Jr. Again, I ask, feeling my flabby stomach.

Joe and I want more children when our son gets older, but right now the active toddler is quite a handful.

"What do you want Luigi for, anyhow?" The old lady asks.

"He has my grandpa's knife and I want to get it back."

"I bet that's the knife he sold to that rich bitch a few days ago," Clyde says.

"He sold my grandpa's knife?"

"He bragged about it too, said he's going to do some traveling."

"Did he say where he's going?"

"He didn't go into specifics with me."

"Would one of his friends know?"

"He really doesn't have any friends," the old lady says, bringing her finger across her neck again.

***

Larry

"They killed her, they killed my baby girl," Julia sobs in my arms.

"We're going to get the bastard who did this to your daughter, I promise you that." I'm calling the police when Vinnie walks up the stairs.

"Nice doll, Larry." He picks up the grotesque figure.

"I actually thought it was real for a minute." He chuckles.

"It's a doll?" Looking at Vinnie, I see him cradling it in his arms.

"Did you do this?" he asks, inspecting the fine craftsmanship.

"Berryville PD, what is your emergency?" I hear a pleasant voice say through the phone.

"It's a false alarm." Hanging up, I grab the doll from his hands.

"Look, Julia, it's not real, see," I say, holding it beside us.

She slowly turns her head towards the figure.

"It's a doll." She laughs, through teary eyes.

"There's a note attached," Vinnie says. Pulling a piece of paper from the dolls dress, he quickly begins to read.

"Oh my God, Larry, they're threatening to kill her family."

"Let me see that," I say, snatching the paper from his hand, I read the message in the center.

You and your family better get out of town, while you still can.

"I think the police need to know about this," I say, pushing the redial button on my phone.

***

Rachel

Seeing more homeless lying in the dark alley, I walk over to them. They scramble to their feet when they hear footsteps heading their way. I see each has a weapon in hand when I look around.

Seeing a petite figure walking towards them, they start to relax.

"I'm looking for Luigi, have you seen him, lately?"

"I haven't seen him in days."

"He told me he's going to Florida," another one says.

"Florida?" I ask.

"That's what he said. He claims that things are a lot better down there."

"The winters may be better, but I don't know if I could stand that tropical heat," the second one adds.

"Me either," the others agree.

"When did he leave?"

"The same day he sold the knife, I believe."

"Did he say how he's getting there?"

"He didn't say."

"Thank you." I see Jerry wandering the streets when I walk into town. Not wanting to be teased about my appearance, I quickly duck out of sight.

"You, behind the bushes, come out nice and slow, with your hands above your head," Jerry yells.

Why do you have to be so damn good at your job, Jerry? I imagine all of the torment I'll get from my partners, and the harsh tongue lashing I'll get from Joe.

"Do it now," Jerry orders.

"Don't shoot, it's me, Rachel," I say, lifting my hands in the air.

"Sergeant?" he asks, cautiously moving a little closer.

"Yes Jerry, it's me." I pull the hot scratchy wig off my head. Much better, I think, removing the bobby pins from my hair.

"Why are you in that fancy getup, anyhow?" He chuckles.

"I was doing a little undercover work, hoping to find something on Julia's case."

"Did it work?"

"Yeah, Julia is telling us the truth. The real killer is a nut case and he's heading to Florida. Now I have to figure out who this Luigi is and stop him before it's too late."

"I better get that," he says, pulling the phone out of his pocket.

"Jerry here, they threatened Julia and her family's life?" he asks, glancing towards me.

"The sergeant and I will meet you there."

~~~

Rachel

Larry is waiting for us on the porch when we pull into the drive. I notice him taking a second glance at my straggly appearance.

I guess I do look a little grubby, I smile.

"Nice get up, Sergeant," Larry chuckles.

"I was doing some undercover work, when we got your call," I explain, self-consciously adjusting my baggy clothes.

"So tell me what happened tonight, Larry," Jerry says, pulling his notebook from his pocket.

"We found a bloody doll lying by the front door with a note attached to its dress." He hands me the evidence.

"Did you see who left it?"

"They were gone by the time I answered the door."

"Did you see any cars?"

"I was so shaken, that I didn't think to look."

"I imagine it would be quite a surprise to find this lying on your porch," Jerry says, inspecting the doll closer.

"Where's Julia now?"

"She's in the house."

"Can I talk to her, please?"

I see the house is decorated in several bright colors when he opens the door.

Guess he's trying to bring the 70's back too, I laugh. Joe's apartment was done in neon colors when I first moved in. It still has a bright glow, but it's not as blinding.

"Julia, the police are here, and they want to talk to you."

"I still can't get a hold of Bill," she says, stepping on the porch.

"We've already sent someone to check on him."

"I appreciate that. Sergeant, is that you?" she questions, giving me a strange look.

"She was doing undercover work." Larry laughs.

"Oh."

"Do you know anyone who wants to harm you or your family, Julia?" I ask.

"I can't think of a soul."

"So who touched the doll and the note?"

"Me and Vinnie."

"We need to get your fingerprints, so we can eliminate them, from the ones we find on the doll."

Sticking his head back in the door, Larry yells again.

"Vinnie, the cops need your prints."

"Again," he protests.

I see a scraggly character step out on the porch.

"It's so they can eliminate them from what they find on the evidence."

"Since your prints are already in the system, I won't need yours, Vinnie, but I still need Larry's."

"Lucky me," Larry says.

"Let me get the kit out of the car," Jerry says.

"I need to take this," I say. Turning towards the street, I answer my phone.

"Sergeant Bower, he did, I'll let Julia know, thank you."

"Julia, Bill took the kids out of the city, late yesterday evening. He told his neighbors that he's selling the house, and moving to the East Coast."

"The East Coast, no, he can't do that to me, he just can't," she cries, falling into Larry's arms.




I want to thank all of the reviewers who's helped me learn and grow as a writer. I will be forever grateful.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.