Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 29, 2017 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Marty shows Larry that he isn't playing around.

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Final Warning

by Mistydawn




Background
Two protagonists tell the story
Larry explains how he lost everything and now has to live on the street.
After escaping an abusive relationship, Julia finds she's wanted for murder.
Larry

Horrifying thoughts start running through my head as I follow the broad man to my office. I first imagine Lilly crying, as she huddles down in the corner. I see the blood flowing out of her small, frail body, as the man continues to beat her. I then picture her calling for me, in her final breath.

I.. I'll kill him if he did something to my daughter. I furiously clench and unclench my fingers, as I storm down the hall. I'll make him wish he was never born. I feel my jaw tighten, and my body starts to shake, as I continue to stomp down the corridor. Life without parole will be well worth what I'm about to do to this dude. Shoving him in my office, I slam the door closed behind me.

"You better not have harmed one single hair on my daughter's head, you hear me, not one little wisp!" Picking up the phone, I dial Jen's number.

"Relax pal, your beautiful wife and daughter are safe and sound at your in-laws."

"You won't mind if I find out for myself, will you?"

"Jen, hi, it's Larry. Are you and Lilly alright? He did what?" I ask, glaring at the dude.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure that it won't happen again." Slamming the phone down on my desk, I stomp over to my visitor.

"See, they're safe and sound, just like I said."

"I don't know who you think you are, Pal. Coming in here like some bad ass, demanding my services." I'm telling you right now to leave my family alone or you'll have hell to pay."I don't know who you think you are, "pal," coming in here like some bad-ass, demanding my services. but I'm telling you right now, you better leave my family alone, or you'll have hell to pay. You got that, "pal!" I say, poking him in the chest. Straightening himself up, he sticks out his broad chest. That would scare me half to death on a normal day, but with my testosterone level running high, his threatening act didn't scare me a bit. Just another bully in the playground of life, I think, shoving my chest against his.

"No, you listen here you, you, pipsqueak, and listen up good, because I'm only going to tell you this once." Shoving me back, he continues.

"I will kill your wife, daughter and everyone else you love if my nephew spends a single night in jail. Do I make myself clear, pal?" He shoves me again, I stumble backward, landing on the expensive leather sofa. Hovering over me, he continues.

"If you ever, ever get an attitude with me again, you'll find yourself confined to a wheelchair, permanently. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal clear."

"Good. Enjoy the message from your daughter. Tossing me an old cassette player, he continues.

"I'll see you this afternoon, and don't make me have to hunt you down again." I watch as he exchanges pleasantries with the staff. What did I get myself into? Pushing play on the antique recorder, I listen intently for my daughter's voice. After a few minutes of shuffling, I hear a gruff voice say;

"Just talk normally. No, no, you don't have to be that close." I hear more noise, then a sweet voice say;

"Daddy, this is Lilly." There's a long pause.

"Go ahead honey, talk to your Daddy."

"Daddy, Uncle Marty says you're helping him and that he'll make sure we see you if you win. So please win, Daddy, please. I love you and miss you," she cries.

"I miss you too, baby." I wipe a tear out of my eye. Lilly is my little angel, my pride, and joy. She stole my heart the second I laid eyes on her. With her big blue eyes and beautiful smile, how could I not fall in love?

"Hear that Larry, your daughter wants to see you again. So do as I say and no one will get hurt." A deep voice blares over the machine.

"Please do as he says, Larry, please," Jen begs before the recording clicks off. I'm letting the tape play through when my boss walks in the room.

"I just saw your new client. He seems like a very nice guy."

"Yeah, real nice." Not sure what else might be on the recorder, I quickly click off the machine.

"I haven't seen one of those things in years," my boss says, eyeing the antique device.

"My client brought it to me, said there's something on it I need to hear."

"You can't beat a client who collects his own evidence." Mr. Hensley laughs.

"No Sir, you can't."

"Larry, your wife is on line two, she says it's urgent." Looking over, I see Kathy standing in the doorway, looking sexy as ever. That was one hot lunch date. Don't worry babe, there's plenty more where that came from. I see her nervously fidget with her clothes. You're getting hot just thinking about it, aren't you, Kathy? I smile.

"Your wife, Sir."

"I better get that." Rushing over, I scoop up the phone.

"Is everything alright, Jen? You want to talk to me about this weekend?"

"I'll give you a little privacy." Winking, Mr. Hensley pulls the door closed behind him.

"Lilly honey, stop crying. I promise I'll come see you soon, ok? I hear the phone being shuffled, then Jen's voice on the line. I can't, Jen, I have to work this weekend. I know Lilly does, and I miss her too, but I have to prepare Marty's case otherwise... We had a long talk about that and I don't think he'll be back to bother you anytime soon. I know he is, that's why it's so important for me to win. If it's worrying you that much, why don't you stay at your sister's for a while? Did he? We'll have a little talk about that too. I won't piss him off, I promise. Yes, Jen, I know," I say, plopping down in my chair.

***

I'm returning a few calls when two disheveled gentlemen step into my office. I immediately recognize one from this morning's visit, so I figure the second is the nephew.

"Let me get back to you on that," I say into the phone. The two men plop down on the couch as I disconnect the call.

"This is Vinnie. He's the one I've been telling you about. I told him you'll take good care of him."

"Well, gentleman, I wish I could give you some better news, but I'm afraid the police have a solid case against you."

"There's nothing you can do?" Vinnie exclaims, turning towards Marty.

"Sure he can, right, pal?" I see the ominous look on his face as he wiggles his phone in front of my face. Remembering what's on it, I nervously continue.

"I.. I'll see what I can do, but like I was saying..."

"Vinnie, can you wait for me outside?"

"Sure." He obediently walks towards the door. Marty waits until he's in the hallway before he continues.

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear this morning. You either win this case or else."

"I'd love to win this case for you, but I..."

"Let me put it to you another way. If you don't win this case, everyone you've ever cared about will die a slow, painful death."

"But I..."

"And I will frame you for their murders on top of the murder already hanging over your head." Showing me his phone, Marty continues.

"My associates knows about our little deal and they're instructed to deliver the package if anything happens to me."

"I'll try to come up with something."

"Good." Marty storms out of the door. A few seconds later, he returns with his nephew.

"I'll let you two get to work. Remember what I said, Larry."

"I will." Smiling, he closes the door behind him.

"Looks like you and I have a lot of ground to cover." Pulling a file from my desk drawer, I quickly scan through my notes.

"Do you have an alibi?"

"An alibi?"

"Yeah, you know, someone that will say they saw you around the time the murder occurred. One is good, but two or three indisputable alibis is even better."

"I'm sure my Uncle can find someone."

"Tell Marty to make sure they're air tight, alright?" Seeing him nod I continue.

"The police found bloody clothes, shoes and a gun at your apartment, correct?"

"Yes."

"Did they find anything else?"

"Not that I know of."

"Did they hand you a search warrant?"

"I wasn't home at the time."

"Who let them in?"

"My roommate."

"Does your roommate live there?"

"That's what roommate means."

"Is his name on the lease?"

"No, only mine and my ex's name."

"Your ex, does she live there too?"

"She's my ex, so what do you think?"

"Look bud, I'm trying to help you out here, so knock off the attitude, alright?"

"No, she doesn't."

"Does your roommate get mail there?"

"Yeah."

"Talk to your roommate, see if the cops gave him a search warrant, and find someone who'll say you were somewhere else when the victim was killed." Grabbing my coat, I continue.

"Meet me back here in an hour." I run for the door.

"Sir, your client asked me to give you this," Kathy says, handing me a piece of paper. Glancing up, I see Marty strolling out of the door. Opening the paper, I start to read;

"Final warning, no!" Panicking, I race down the hallway after him. Throwing the door open, I start looking around. I see my father running towards me.

"What's wrong, Dad?"

"Your mom is in the hospital," he bawls, collapsing in my arms.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.