General Non-Fiction posted May 27, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My most treasured possession.

My Precious

by Heather Knight


Do you remember Gollum saying 'my precious' in The Lord Of The Rings? You do! Well, that's the way I behave around my Kindle. Well, I'm a bit prettier than the guy, but that's the only difference.

I have always liked reading, but I was a paperback kind of girl. And then one day, around seven years ago, a student showed me this little contraption where you could read books. He told me his godfather had bought it for him. At first, I was suspicious, but when I got home, I looked it up online and decided it was a great idea. You could take all your books with you wherever you went! How cool was that?

It took me a while to warm up to it, but when I did, I was besotted. The rest, as they say, is history. My love affair with the little electronic device started the moment I opened the Amazon parcel and I plugged it in to recharge it.

I'm on my forth Kindle so far and I hope this one, a Paperwhite, will last for a very long time.

I guess you're wondering what happened to the other three. One died of natural causes. Just like that. One day, I opened the cover and saw that half the screen was black. I mourned it and then moved on.

The other two suffered more tragic endings. You should know I take my Kindle everywhere I go. One day when I was in England, I went to the toilet. I hung my handbag on the hook and balanced the Kindle on top of the handbag. Unfortunately, it seems I didn't do it very well, because the Kindle fell and the screen broke.

However, the most tragic story is that of my third Kindle. I usually read in the car and one day, on a trip to our country house, I started feeling sleepy, so I closed my baby and my eyes and had a nap.

I woke up when we arrived at our destination. By then I had forgotten about the Kindle most completely. I got out of the car and was about to go into the house, when my husband said, 'I'm going to move the car, it's too far from the curb.'

There's nothing extraordinary about that sentence. He often reparks, which, incidentally, gets on my nerves...

The thing is, my Kindle was on the ground and none of us had noticed it and when he moved the car he ran it over.

Kindles are sturdy, but there was no way it could have survived the weight of a car. I know it sounds childish, but I cried and cried.

My Kindle and I have a very special relationship as you may have noticed. I would say it's my most treasured possession. It holds all my books, the ones I've read and the ones I'm planning to read. It's like a huge shelf in one tiny handheld device.

'I do love you, my precious...'



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.