Romance Fiction posted May 26, 2017 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...he is the light in her life

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

Power Outage

by Mustang Patty


The storm had been brewing all morning.  Dark clouds rolled in and visibility was limited.  When the skies finally opened, and released the rain, it came down in a rushing torrent.  Even with the windshield wipers turned on high, it was impossible to see. 
 
Driving too fast for the conditions, the driver lost control of the car. 
Within seconds of the onslaught of rain, the car crashed into a utility pole. Sparks flew as local power and telephone lines came down.
 
----------@<
 
"Oh shit!"
 
Everything in the apartment went dark.  The music stopped playing.  The vacuum in her hand stopped working, and she was left holding onto its handle wondering where the flashlight was.  The apartment had only one window in the living room, and there was only the dim light from the cloudy sky.
 
After securing the vacuum in its place, she inched her way towards the kitchen cupboards.  Without any windows in the kitchen, the inky darkness pervaded.  She knew the flashlight was in there.  But in which drawer?
 
"I will not panic.  I will not lose control."  She didn't realize she was speaking out loud.  She only knew it was important to hold on.  Between her fear of the dark, and her need for some kind of background noise, she was full of anxiety.
 
Wishing she hadn't hung dark curtains for privacy, she longed for a shaft of light.  There wasn't much in the darkened sky, but it would be better than the complete darkness which caused her to creep through the kitchen.  She painfully searched each of the top drawers under the counter top. 
 
Her hands inched along, and finally felt the familiar cylinder shape.  Finally, she came across the light.
 
"Hallelujah!"  She thumbed the switch and rejoiced in the steady beam.  She looked a bit further and found a box of matches.
 
Fragrant decorative candles sat waiting for her and she lit them and placed them around the darkened living room.  Now, she just needed to find a way to pass the time.
 
"My phone has music and it's wireless.  I hope it has a full charge or something near it!"
 
Sounds of rock and roll flowed from the small speaker, but it was just enough to soothe her nerves.  She sat in the darkness and waited for the afternoon to be over.
 
----------@<
 
The door swung open and he was home.  "Hey, it's dark in here!" 
 
"Really?  That's going to be your opening line?"
 
She melted into his arms at once.  Thankful for the warm hug, she hated to break the spell.
 
"I have no idea what we're going to do about dinner.  I took out pork chops, but since the stove is electric, they're of little use."
 
"Ah, but I thought about that on the way home.  Woodburn still had power, so I swung by the drive through at Subway.  Sandwiches, my lady?"
 
With a smile, she moved the candles to the table, and they shared a light supper.  Life was always easier when he was home.  He kept the world at bay for her, and eased the voices in her head.
 
When they moved to the living room, they took the candles, and made themselves comfortable.  The shadows cast by the flames were warm and cozy.  Smiling at one another in the dark, they clasped hands and settled in for the duration.
 
----------@<
 
"I hope the power comes back on before bedtime."
 
"What will it matter?  We will be asleep."
 
"But I can't sleep without noise.  Why do you think we have the TV on all night?"
 
"That could be a problem, huh?  Don’t worry, we'll think of something.  Maybe I can make you sleepy enough."  His voice grew husky, and he looked at her hopefully.
 
Smiling in the dark, she went into his arms.  The evening was passed in a most enjoyable way.
 
Bedtime came, and there still wasn't any power.  She was beside herself.  How on earth would she get to sleep without any noise?
 
"I have an idea.  How about if I tell you a story?"
 
"Do you have a story that will last more than twenty minutes or so?"
 
"I've been listening to the 'Harry Potter' books on CD in the car.  How about if I tell you the tale in the 'Goblet of Fire?'"
 
"But I know that story!"
 
"Yes.  But you've never heard me tell it to you, have you?"
 
She knew he was an excellent story teller and he knew the Potter series backwards and forwards.  Besides, she was willing to try anything.
 
They went to bed, and she cuddled in the crook of his arm.  "Harry was staying at the Weasleys' house and Hermione was there, too.  It was time to go to the world quidditch playoffs.  They all gathered around a portkey and transported themselves to the arena…"
 
----------@<
 
She slept through the night.
 



Recognized


Thank you, Supergold for the perfect picture.

Isn't it wonderful how a person and their love can be of such great comfort?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.