Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 26, 2017 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Julia wakes up to find that she's being accused of murder

A chapter in the book Travesty of Justice

Better off Dead

by Mistydawn


Julia
I wake up to find myself in a cold, sterile hospital room with tubes running out of every orifice of my body. What happened to me? Why am I here? Frightened, I start glancing around. Looking to my right, I see a large clear machine sitting alongside my head. The noisy device whooshes, as the centerpiece slowly moves up and down. I see a plastic hose running from it to a tube dangling out of my mouth. A long slender pole with a bag of fluids is sitting next to it. A clear plastic tube runs from that machine into a port sticking out of my arm.

Turning my head in the other direction, I see a nurse busily working at the counter. I try calling out to her, but my throat is so dry, that I can't seem to make a sound. I try lifting my arms off of the bed, but they're so heavy that I can't even scoot them across the cold sheets. I try raising my legs, and soon discover they don't want to move either. Oh my god, I'm completely paralyzed. I feel warm tears stream down my face as I try to recall the event that left me in this vegetate state.

Wait, I can feel my tears rolling down my cheek. That's a good sign, right? Of course, it is. Feeling a teensy bit hopeful, I try moving my fingers. Please, move; please move I beg glancing down at my hand. I see my fingers twitch then slowly raise off the bed. I try doing the same with the other hand. My fingers quickly jerk away from the sheets. If I still can move my fingers, maybe I can wiggle my toes. I start concentrating real hard, hoping I can get them to move. I feel my breath catch in my throat, as my toes rub against each other. I did it, I did it. Excited, I quickly lift up my right leg and then my left. I'm not paralyzed, after all. I try lifting my arms when I discover they're strapped down to the bed. No wonder I can't move them. With a great sense of accomplishment, I continue to search my surroundings, hoping to figure out what's happened. Glancing towards the glass barrier, I see a police officer standing outside my door. Why is he here? Why am I even here? I try to recall what's happened, but nothing comes to mind. What can't I remember, why? I cry as I continue to rack my brain. Hearing heavy footsteps coming towards me, I glance up. I see a tall rounded woman standing over my bed.

"My name is Mary; I'm going to be your nurse today." I try to reply, but nothing comes out of my mouth. Frustrated, I start crying again. I have so many questions I need answers to, but how can I ask them if I can't make a sound.

"Don't try to talk honey. Just lay there and rest and I'll see if I can answer some of the questions you might have, ok?" I nod.

"You're at Bay Health in Delaware. You're brought here by an ambulance after your neighbor rescued you from a house fire. You have second-degree burns over your entire body and a laceration to the back of your head. The doctors believe you will be able to make a full recovery soon. Is there anything else?" I look towards the intimidating machines.

That's a ventilator to help you breathe. The IV is pumping fluids into your body to help you recuperate. You have a catheter so you won't need to get up to go to the restroom. That'll probably come out once you're strong enough to move around. We've been giving you nutrition through this tube," I see she's holding a small plastic tube that's attached to my stomach.

"Once the ventilator comes off you probably won't need this either." I look towards the door.

"The officer wants to ask you a few questions. I told him I'd call when you're able to talk, but he insists on standing outside your door." I see the officer rush into the room. Mary turns to face him.

"Why didn't you tell me she's awake?"

"She still can't talk."

"She can nod her head, can't she?"

"I suppose so, but..."

"Well, that's good enough." Pushing my nurse out of the way he steps up to the bed.

"You don't have to answer any of his questions without a lawyer present," Mary yells. The officer pivots back around.

"Don't you have something else you should be doing?"

"Yeah, getting Administration," The officer turns towards the bed. Mary storms out of the door.

"Julia Moffitt, you're under arrest for the murder of Andy Moffitt." Picking up my left arm, he handcuffs me to the bed. I'm under arrest for killing my husband? How can that be? I start to recall our argument and waking up to find that I was tied to the table. I then remember how the fire had me completely surrounded on the old dusty porch. Andy tried to kill me. I was the one that was beaten. I was the one who was strapped to the table and left to die, not him. So why do the police believe I killed Andy? I then recall seeing pieces of his truck flying through the air. They think I planted the bomb. Frightened, I glance up at the officer, who is busy reciting me my rights.

"I heard we have a problem in here." Looking over, I see an older, graying gentleman step into the room.

"No problem here, Doctor."

"Then what are you doing to my patient?"

"I'm placing her under arrest for murder."

"Murder?"

"Yes, I'll have her transferred to the state hospital later this afternoon."

"She's in no condition to travel."

"The court believes she is." I see him hand the doctor a piece of paper.

"Court order or not, I'm not releasing Miss. Moffitt from my care."

"We'll just see about that." I start sobbing as the officer storms out of the door.

"There, there honey, it'll be alright." Seeing that I'm trying to tell her something, Mary hands me a pen and paper. Scribbling a message, I hand it back to the nurse.

"They think you planted the explosives?" I nod my head.

"Don't worry honey; you're not going anywhere. So lay back and try to get some rest." Patting my hand, the doctor continues.

"I'll see you in a little while, alright?" I nod again.

"I'll call my lawyer friend, see what he can do to help you, Julia?" I write thank you on the paper.

"You're very welcome, sweetie. You should try and get some rest like the doctor said, ok?" Straightening my bedsheets she continues.

"I'll be back in a few minutes."

I woozily wake up in the wee morning hours to find myself being rolled down the hospital's long bright hallway. Frightened, I quickly glance up. I see an orderly dressed in dark blue scrubs staring down at me. He looks somewhat familiar, but I couldn't be too certain with the surgical mask covering half of his face. I then realize that I've been disconnected from the ventilator. When did that happen? Feeling like I couldn't catch my breath I start gasping for much-needed air. Oh, god please don't let me die, please don't let me die. I think as I continue to inhale deeply.

I feel a cold wind whip across my cheeks as he pushes the metal door open. Glancing around, I see that we're heading towards the parking lot.

"W... Where are you taking me?" I breathlessly ask.

"We're going on a little road trip." Horrible memories start flashing through my mind the moment I hear his voice.

"No!" I yell, trying to sit up. The restraints pull me back down on the bed.

"You're not going anywhere, this time, Julia." He laughs.

"Please, someone help me!" I scream as he continues to push me down the sidewalk. Glancing around I see the cold, dark parking lot is completely deserted. I then notice a few dawdlers on the other side of the lot. Looking ahead, I notice the cars are just a few feet away. More panicked than ever, I continue to scream.

"Please someone help me, please help me, I'm being kidnapped."

"That's enough, Julia!" Forcing air deep into my lungs, I yell again.

"Someone please call the police, I'm being kidnapped!"

"I said that's enough!" Lifting up his right hand, he punches me in the mouth.

"Please don't hurt me, Andy, please, don't," I cry. Scooping me off of the gurney, he places me in the car.

"No, please don't hurt me. I promise to be good this time, I swear, I will!"

"It's a little late for that now, don't you think?" I see an evil smile creep across his face. Frightened, I try to get away. I'm so weak, so bruised, so battered that I don't have the strength to fight him.

"I'm going to get rid of you once and for all," he states, slamming the car door closed. I reach for the handle only to discover it has been removed.

"Please someone, please help me," I beg, pounding as hard as I can on the glass.

"You're not getting away from me this time, bitch." Andy laughs, as we drive away.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.