Humor Poetry posted April 23, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Dialog between a carnival barker and a stranger

A Baby!??

by Ogden


See notes for dialog information and more you should know.


Bigelow: I wonder what he'll think of me;
I guess he'll call me the "old man.”


Stranger (TAPS BIGELOW"S SHOULDER): Excuse me, buddy - I was walkin’ behind you, and I couldn’t help hearin’ you talkin’ to yourself.  I don’t wanna butt in, but It sounds like you’re worried about havin’ your first kid. I’ve got lots of ’em - so ask me anything. … Okay? Go ahead… Hey mista, you harda hearin’?

Bigelow: I don't give a hang what he does,
As long as he does what he likes!

Stranger: Are you kiddin’? He’s gonna do what he wants whetha you want him to or not. Keep your eyes on the little bastid, or he’ll be on weed before he’s ten. 

Bigelow: He might be a champ of the heavyweights,
Or a feller that sells you glue,

Stranger: Glue! Where you been? There ain’t no use for glue no more, except for snffin’.  So, forget about glue, and boxin’?! What kinda kid do you wanna raise? C’mon!

Bigelow: Or President of the United States;
That'd be all right, too.

Stranger: Geez, are you out of it! By that time, president will be a wimmens’ job. Maybe you oughta have a girl….What? Whatsa matta? You look like you seen a ghost.

Bigelow: Hey, why am I carryin' on like this?
My kid ain't even been born, yet!

Stranger: Right! Now you’re talkin’. It’s a good thing came along.

Bigelow: What if he is...a she?  What would I do with her?

Stranger: Calm down. Don’t do nothin’ right away. You’re not supposed to treat her different from a boy anymore. Kids grow up a little, and by the time they go to school, most of ’em know what bathroom they wanna go to. She might not even be a girl. So why worry now?

Bigelow: You can have fun with a son,
But you gotta be a father to a girl.

Stranger: Aw! You you didn’t hear nothin’ I said. So long, buddy. (WALKS AWAY, MUMBLING) That poor guy don't have no clue!




What did you say? Dialog Challenge contest entry


NOTE

Bigelow is Billy Bigelow, from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical, "Carousel."

Lyrics are excerpted from the song, "Soliloquy," in which Billy, a carnival barker tough guy, until then with no sense of family responsibility, anticipates what it will be like to be a father. The Stranger, cut from the original script because of budget problems and bad breath, (facts unknown to the general public) planted a subliminal seed of concern in Billy that ultimately led to his death. It's a complicated story. I'm sorry, but to get all the ins-and-outs, you'll have to Google it yourself. ;)

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.