Biographical Poetry posted April 19, 2017 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Potlatch Practice-Nove Otto, An Alaskan Autobiography

A chapter in the book Echoes of Artistry

Girl with a Golden Heart

by ~Dovey


From Fairbanks, I've a golden heart,
where warmth is what we all impart;
from my soul I bleed blue and gold.
I will dance 'neath Aurora's lights
brave bears and bitter winter nights;
my mind's forget-me-not extolled.
Soft skin, with blush of Sitka rose,
no frostbit fingers, or my toes;
and yet, tears flow for days of old.



 



Recognized


Artwork: Gustav Klimt (July 14, 1862 - February 6, 1918) was an Austrian symbolist painter and one of the most prominent members of the Vienna Secession movement. Klimt is noted for his paintings, murals, sketches, and other objects d'art. Found on a public domain search.

The Nove Otto poetry form was created by Scott J. Alcorn. It is a nine-lined poem with 8 syllables per line. The rhyme scheme is as follows: aacbbcddc.

Fairbanks, Alaska (where I was raised and still live) is known as the Golden Heart City, where you will find extremely cold temperatures and people with exceptionally warm hearts. As you might have guessed, Alaska is a bit slower paced than many places on this planet. Our cities have low populations and we have a tendency to stick to the old ways of doing things. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it... and if it is broke, use duct tape!"

That pretty much sums us up. Many people that live here still live in dry cabins (no running water) and use outhouses, even in the dead of winter. (Not me lol I like a few creature comforts, especially on cold winter nights.) But, we're all taught to rough it from an early age, just in case we have to. Hunting, fishing, and camping are popular pastimes, with dog mushing, skiing, sledding (snow machining) and hockey being our leading sports.

When I saw this painting I felt like it was the picture of what I feel inside. So, this poem is autobiographical, though the girl in the painting looks nothing like me. Or does she? lol This is my first Nove Otto poem and it is ekphrastic (inspired by artwork)

Thanks for taking the time to read and review.

Kim
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.