Spiritual Poetry posted April 17, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cast out demons.

Where Faithful Stand (Sonnet)

by Sis Cat

Oh Demon, mock my walk upon the hill?
This heat, my cold, did you enact a role?
Your eyes saw mine, my heart received a chill.
Once nailed in place, your hands embraced the pole.

You're carved from wood
your looks reflect a toad
that's cloven-footed, naked, red, unhung.
You greet the people on this lonely road.
Through leering fangs, extend your lizard's tongue.

Yet came a day one soul ripped off your head,
and branches wedged your body in its flight.
When children skin their knees, their scabs are red.
When demons skin their knees, their scabs are white.

While Easter's celebrated in the land,
you stalk no more this road where faithful stand.



Sonnet Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized


 photo IMG_4081_zpsuunmktlo.jpg

I thank ytbard for her example, edits, and genius at redirecting me to rewrite my sonnet when she found I wrote better lines than her suggestions.

A day after arriving in Puerto Vallarta, I walked my Chihuahua down a hill and saw nailed to a crossroads' telephone pole a carving of a demon. It may have been used as protection for a garden that ran up the hill. Before I could return with my camera the next day, someone smashed the sculpture, leaving behind an amputated hand attached to the pole.

Several days later while walking Mina about one hundred feet uphill from where the demon carving had hung, she stopped to relieve herself at a young palm tree. I looked up and saw the demon's headless, armless body wedged in the branches. I believe that Easter week in a Catholic country was the reason that one faithful stood and cast out this demon idol from the crossroad.

An Oaxacan Indian artisan likely carved the demon from soft wood and painted the body white as an undercoat to cover the woodgrain. Then he painted the body devil red. When someone smashed the carving and kicked it along the cobblestone street, the scraped knees exposed the white undercoat. I saw this as a contrast to children's red scraped knees. This gave birth to my poem's two favorite lines.

The pictures are mine.

Thank you for your review.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sis Cat All rights reserved.
Sis Cat has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.