General Poetry posted April 15, 2017 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A haiku contest entry

A chapter in the book Echoes of Artistry

haiku (in spring fashion)

by ~Dovey



in spring fashion
lilac hues grace butterfly shoes --
scent-sational






 



Haiku Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized


This definition is from simplytom.com

Haiku is a traditional Japanese poetry form composed of 3 lines of 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively. Actually, in Japanese they're usually written in one line, but still considered 3 separate units. Contemporary international haiku usually relaxes the syllable-count restriction. In English haiku, 1-3 lines of 17 syllables or less is the norm (14 syllables is often recommended). Haiku are poems about nature and generally follow the principles of minimalism and immediacy. Immediacy refers to the sense of a scene being directly presented to your senses. A haiku tries to capture a concrete image in place and time. A season word (kigo) is usually required in the traditional form to place a poem in a specific season. A cutting word (kire) is also common to direct the flow of the poem.

The satori line provides you with that aha moment which completes the experience.

The most prolific haiku poet was Basho.

An excerpt from the Poetry Foundation: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poets/detail/basho

Basho
1644 - 1694

The 17th-century Japanese haiku master Basho was born Matsuo Kinsaku near Kyoto, Japan, to a minor samurai and his wife. Soon after the poet's birth, Japan closed its borders, beginning a seclusion that allowed its native culture to flourish. It is believed that Basho's siblings became farmers, while Basho, at Ueno Castle in the service of the local lord's son, grew interested in literature. After the young lord's early death, Basho left the castle and moved to Kyoto, where he studied with Kigin, a distinguished local poet. During these early years Basho studied Chinese poetry and Taoism, and soon began writing haikai no renga, a form of linked verses composed in collaboration.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.