General Fiction posted April 11, 2017 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Katherine and Joe plan the reunion

A chapter in the book Buttons

Reunion

by jusylee72


A brief description of these characters from other chapters in the book.

Joe, abused by a priest and his mother in childhood, seeks revenge on anyone who hurts him.  He murders them then buttons various parts of they body in ways to humiliate them. 

Mary,   Young talented opera singer.  She was raised a Catholic and pushed into a wedding with an overbearing abusive husband who is a conductor for the opera,  William who is self-centered is just returning from a two-year sabbatical overseas.  He expects to come home to his submissive wife.  Instead, Mary has followed another desire.  The desire to be a true crime writer.  She is put with Detective Delaney on an experimental public relations exercise that allows her to work on the crime with him.  They are investigating the murders that Joe has committed.  William Text her to say he is bringing home a young opera singer and that he has accepted an invitation for the new artist, Cherry Churchill to play Carmen, himself as the conductor and Mary as Micaela.  They are to leave for Houston the following week. 

Mary has other ideas and though she is a devout catholic she is ready to move on and ask for a divorce. 

Cindy, an over age prostitute is the only person who has shown Joe any type of love.  She is motherly and at the same time teaches him how to be a lover that few women can resist. 

There are many other people, who like Mary and Joe all went to the same Catholic School.  Katherine was the most popular girl back in high school.  When the priest of their church is murdered it is discovered that he was a pedophile. All of the former students are called to the church for the investigation.   The ones in Mary's class go out to the bar after the meeting.  That is when Katherine who has married a rich lawyer seventeen years her senior, tells everyone she wants to host a class reunion.  There are many other characters, but for this chapter, these are the ones you need to understand. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mary hesitated in front of her door, the keys in her hand.  "You have to do this.  Just get it over with."

She opened the door.  Loud laughter greeted her as she walked in.  An attractive woman sat on the couch, cheese and a cracker in her hand.
 
"You are so witty, William.  You always know how to make me smile.  Wait, and who is this?  Oh,  it must be Mary.  Hi Mary,  I am Cherry, Cherry Churchill.  Your husband is so funny and smart.  I so appreciate you letting me stay here before we start our new adventure."  

She would have kept talking if William hadn't spoken up.  "Well, hello dear, I was beginning to get worried.  Where have you been?" 

"Many things have changed since you've been gone, William."

 
He walked over to her.  He grabbed her elbow and walked her over to the couch. 
 
"Surely you want to greet our guest.  I was just telling Cherry that something must have kept you from cleaning the house.  It is a little embarrassing.  These curtains belong in the guest room.  Did you forget to wash them? It looks like you forgot to vacuum, too.   You can do all that tomorrow.  Would you like a glass of wine.  It is a Merlot.  I bought it in France.  Very expensive.  I would like it if you would make us a little late dinner.  I took some steaks out to thaw about two hours ago."  
 
He was trying so hard to conceal his anger.  It wasn't working. 
 
Mary had prepared herself for this for several days.   Taking a deep breath, she politely began. 
 
"I repeat, William, things have changed.  I am no longer going to let you run my life.  I have a job now.  I have my own money.  I have moved into the guest room.  You and your houseguest are welcome to the rest of the house."
 
"A job? What kind of work can you possibly do?"
"I am writing.  I am also a consultant on a murder investigation."

"What on earth and you did all this without consulting me?"  Now he was starting to act like the real William.

Mary pushed it further.  

 
"Wiliam, you know we haven't been together in a very long time.  I have simply moved on.  As I said,  I have my own room now.  You and your houseguest are welcome to the rest of the house.  As soon as possible I will be filing for divorce."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

 
 William hated being out of control. 
 
"You divorce me?  Who do you think you are?  The only reason you even have a career is because of me.  You are nothing without me.  Do you hear me, nothing."  
Cherry was still sitting on the couch unable to understand what was happening.  William always described Mary as demure and shy.  
 
"Mary relies on me for everything.  She is completely dependent on me.  She would be lost without me. We will have to very patient darling, she is a devout catholic."
 
 Mary knew better than to push any further.  She walked directly to her room, turned and locked the door.  

"Come back here.  You can't just walk away from me.  I am your husband and you will do what I say when I say it.  Now get in the kitchen and start dinner."

 
He followed her to the bedroom.  The locked door infuriated him.  He pounded on it.

"Get out here now."  He seemed to forget that he had a house guest. Cherry became flustered.    

 
"Oh dear, maybe you should take me to a hotel.  I think Mary is jealous that I am here. Are you sure she didn't know about us?  Maybe, one of your friends told her.  Is she dangerous?  Do you think she will hurt me?"
 
"Shut up, you imbecile. She's not going to hurt you."  

For once, William had no idea what to do. 

 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katherine looked at the caller ID and answered on the second ring. "Joe, it is so nice to hear from you."

"I was just thinking about you, Katherine. You were such the light of the party in our school years. I have to admit, I had a school boy crush on you for years. Just between the two of us, I am not sure I ever truly got over it."

Katherine blushed. "Oh Joe, you flatter me with such words. It was a delight to see everybody. We have all changed so much."

Joe inwardly laughed, if you only knew how much I've changed you would be terrified.   "Katherine, I truly liked your idea of a class reunion.  Especially, now that our church is facing so much hardship. I think it would be good for all of us if we truly got together and got to know each other well.  Besides the church needs our support.  
 
"I would be happy to plan it.   Do you have a date in mind?"

"Two weeks from Saturday looks like a great day.  That gives us time to inform everyone and still give us enough time set it up.  I would be happy to come help.  I do have some decorating skills and it would be fun to spend some time with you.'

Katherine tried to think fast.  Her husband would be out of town for business from Wednesday until Sunday.  "Could you come over Thursday or Friday night?  I could have a list ready then and we could discuss what we need, what to eat.  I love planning parties. It would be fun to have someone help me."  

"Friday evening would be best for me.  How does 6:30 sound?"

"That will work.  Let's see, do we need a theme?"
 
"We can talk about it then.  I'm sorry but I need to get back to work here.  See you Friday.  I will call before I come over."
 
"See you then, goodbye."  Katherine only briefly questioned herself.  Marty, her husband, was seventeen years her senior.  It wasn't a terrible marriage but it was predictable.  Marty was so conservative. In bed, she found him downright boring. She had a brief affair with the banker in town a few months back. They both stopped it when they realized it couldn't go anywhere.  
 
I would like that excitement again.  Joe is so handsome and sure of himself now.  She quickly made a hair and nail appointment for Wednesday.  He said he had a crush on me.  I wonder if he knows what I have in mind for him.  Katherine, you still have it. You are still the most popular girl in school. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe didn't really have to go back to work.  He was done for the day.  

Katherine made it so easy.  She's assuming she can seduce me.  Oh, yes, Katherine that will happen.  But you will be the one seduced. You have never tasted the skills I have.  I was taught by the best. Besides, the process of making Mary fall in love with me has to be slow and steady.  It will take a long time and so much patience.  In the meantime, I need practice on how to please a woman.   

What a blessing Cindy has been to my life. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Mary slept better than she had in years.  Now that the first confrontation, the one she dreaded the most, was over, she could breathe easily. It wouldn't be easy but she knew now she could start to discover what she really wanted in life.  She woke up close to 6 a.m.  It was awkward not knowing where "Cherry Blossom" and that person she once called her husband were, but she was fairly sure they would be asleep or passed out.  She heard them trying to decide what to do last night.  As usual, William was too cheap to go to a hotel so they probably just finished the wine off and went to bed.  

Mary showered in her newly acquired bathroom and dressed before she left her room.  As she walked into the living room she got her answer. Cherry was passed out on the couch.  Spilled red wine covered the coffee table and dripped down onto the white carpet. William would have a fit about that as soon as he woke up.  The TV was blaring in the bedroom.  She must have passed out first so he probably pouted and tried to watch a movie to distract himself. She could hear him snoring over the morning news. She softly opened the front door.  She decided to treat herself to breakfast at IHOP.  

Sleep well, Will.  I have work to do.  I am going to have a wonderful day, It's day one of freedom. Time for me to grow up and move on.  


She couldn't stop smiling as she walked to her car. 
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.