Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 9, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Time the electorial college is abandoned

Electoral College is Dysfunctional

by HarryT


I say to you, my friends, the last election gives credence to the idea that the Electoral College hinders the voices of Americans. I ask you why should a person who lost the popular vote by 2.9 million votes be in the White House?

According to CNN Hillary Clinton beat President Donald Trump by almost 2.9 million votes, with 65,844,954 (48.2%) to his 62,979,879 (46.1%), according to revised and certified final election results from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. However, under an unfair, antiquated institution the decision as to whom would be president was left to 538 people.

The Electoral College delegates again strangled the voice of the majority of the American people as they have done after four previous elections. Because of this archaic system, we find ourselves with a president who the majority of those voting did not want. Unfortunately, the 538 electors selected a man who has displayed signs of being a narcissistic, self-aggrandizing sycophant who has proven he cannot be trusted to act with discretion in any situation he deems as a personal attack.

To exacerbate the injustice of his election he has appointed a cabinet of billionaire belligerents. In key positions are a climate denier, two Wall Street connivers, a big oil executive who maybe a Russian pet, an AG with a racist past, an educational ignoramus, and a mad dog for defense. These people are the cogs in Trump's so called, "fine oiled machine". Along with Bannon and Conway and family members as advisers there is little doubt he will continue playing his egotistical game attempting to make himself great again.

I have questions for Mr. Trump and his cohorts: How is it a return to greatness to expunge safeguarding work place rules? How does deregulating sanctions on bankers and lenders protect consumers? How does rescinding environment protections for mining, clean air and water return America to greatness? How does refusing to accept proven science regarding climate change benefit all but the polluting industrial elite? How does a return to: union busting, gun totting, filth filled rivers, coal smoked skies, wall building and deportation mania make America great again?

I greatly fear Planned Parenthood will disintegrate and thus back alley abortionists will proliferate. Millions will be stripped of medical insurance, and immigrant mothers, fathers, brothers and sister will be excluded or deported. I ask again, how do these malignant actions make America Great? How do hateful tweets and the maligning of the free press make America great again?

In his limited vision and knowledge Mr. Trump cannot accept that America is an already great and wonderful country. His idea of greatness, I fear, is to bring us back to the times of the Robber Barons and the Gilded Age when the rich controlled government with little concern for the American people.



Soapbox - Prose or Poetry contest entry


In my opinion, when a man is elected by a minority of those voting there is a problem with the process.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.