General Fiction posted April 1, 2017 Chapters:  ...18 20 -44- 


House guest

A chapter in the book Buttons

William and Mary

by jusylee72

Mary hesitated in front of her door, the keys in her hand.  "You have to do this.  Just get it over with."

She opened the door.  Loud laughter greeted her as she walked in.  An attractive woman sat on the couch, cheese and a cracker in her hand.  

 "You are so witty, William.  You always know how to make me smile.  Wait, and who is this?  Oh,  it must be Mary.  Hi Mary,  I am Cherry, Cherry Churchill.  Your husband is so funny and smart.  I so appreciate you letting me stay here before we start our new adventure."  

She would have kept talking if William hadn't spoken up.  "Well, hello dear, I was beginning to get worried.  Where have you been?" 

"Many things have changed since you've been gone, William."
 
He walked over to her.  He grabbed her elbow and walked her over to the couch. 
 
 "Surely you want to greet our guest.  I was just telling Cherry that something must have kept you from cleaning the house.  It is a little embarrassing.  These curtains belong in the guest room.  Did you forget to wash them? It looks like you forgot to vacuum, too.   You can do all that tomorrow.  Would you like a glass of wine.  It is a Merlot.  I bought it in France.  Very expensive.  I would like it if you would make us a little late dinner.  I took some steaks out to thaw about two hours ago."  
 
He was trying so hard to conceal his anger.  It wasn't working. 
 
Mary had prepared herself for this for several days.   Taking a deep breath, she politely began. 
 
"I repeat, William, things have changed.  I am no longer going to let you run my life.  I have a job now.  I have my own money.  I have moved into the guest room.  You and your houseguest are welcome to the rest of the house."
 
"A job? What kind of work can you possibly do?"

"I am writing.  I am also a consultant on a murder investigation."

"What on earth and you did all this without consulting me?"  Now he was starting to act like the real William.

Mary pushed it further.  
 
"Wiliam, you know we haven't been together in a very long time.  I have simply moved on.  As I said,  I have my own room now.  You and your houseguest are welcome to the rest of the house.  As soon as possible I will be filing for divorce."

"What the hell are you talking about?"
 
 William hated being out of control. 
 
 "You divorce me?  Who do you think you are?  The only reason you even have a career is because of me.  You are nothing without me.  Do you hear me, nothing."  

Cherry was still sitting on the couch unable to understand what was happening.  William always described Mary as demure and shy.  
 
 "Mary relies on me for everything.  She is completely dependent on me.  She would be lost without me. We will have to very patient darling, she is a devout catholic."
 
 Mary knew better than to push any further.  She walked directly to her room, turned and locked the door.  

"Come back here.  You can't just walk away from me.  I am your husband and you will do what I say when I say it.  Now get in the kitchen and start dinner."
 
He followed her to the bedroom.  The locked door infuriated him.  He pounded on it.

"Get out here now."  He seemed to forget that he had a house guest. Cherry became flustered.    
 
"Oh dear, maybe you should take me to a hotel.  I think Mary is jealous that I am here. Are you sure she didn't know about us?  Maybe, one of your friends told her.  Is she dangerous?  Do you think she will hurt me?"
 
"Shut up, you imbecile. She's not going to hurt you."  

For once, William had no idea what to do. 

 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.