Humor Non-Fiction posted March 28, 2017 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...a dog's life

A chapter in the book 2018 Bernie and Howie Stories

Bernie gets into trouble

by Mustang Patty


Music gently played from the brown box that thumped.  The Mistress commanded what would play by saying, "Alexa, play…"  Bernie didn't really understand who Alexa was, and he didn't really care.  He was just glad that the Mistress didn't use that tone when she spoke to him.  At least not usually.
 
Sitting at the screen on her desk, the Mistress was humming along with the music.  Bernie loved to hear her sweet melodic tone.  He curled up at her feet after turning in a circle several times.  He wasn't sure why he turned around in those circles.  It was something Howie did, and he thought he should copy it.
 
Laying on the soft fabric of the slippers, Bernie settled in for a little snooze.  The fur on his face stuck out at different angles from his nose to his ears.  The ears themselves turned inside out to show the deep pink of his inner ear.  Howie would often come and lick them clean.  Bernie hated that.
 
The smell of dinner flowed from the kitchen, and Bernie wished he could have a taste.  He knew it wouldn't happen.  The Mistress didn't feed her puppies 'people food.'  With a deep sigh, Bernie put his head down on his front paws.  Stupid rules!
 
Falling into a doggy snooze, Bernie let his body relax.  His little whip of a tail didn't move, but his face twitched in his sleep.  Quiet little barks came from his mouth, and the Mistress began to smile.  She kept on with her work at the glowing screen and made sure she didn't kick the sleeping heap of gray at her feet.
 
Within the depths of his dreaming state, Bernie heard the approach of something or someone.  His dream self, raised his head and growled.  Baring his teeth, he ran to the front door.  The door began to open slowly, and Bernie knew it was a stranger.  This foul smelling being was walking into their family home.  He knew he had to do something, but his paws weren't letting him run.  Try as he might, he wasn't going anywhere and the stranger was moving through the house.
 
Listening to the small barks and watching the twitching of his paws, the Mistress could see that Bernie was deep into his dream.  She watched him with a smile, and paused her work.  The twitching and barking increased in speed and pitch.
 
As the dream reached a maddening impasse, Bernie did his best to come out of this sleepy state and get the stranger.  How dare this being walk on the Mistress's floor.  He couldn't see the Mistress, but he knew he had to protect her!

Gaining control of his limbs, Bernie sprang to his feet as he woke up.  Snarling, he ran at the front door.  In a rush, he was going too fast, so he put his feet out to break.  Sliding at the front door, he hit the large vase standing nearby.
 
CRASH
 
"BERNIE!!" 
 
He slunk under the couch and waited for the Mistress to get over her anger.
 

 



Recognized


Bernie is having a rough day. So is my vase. I needed to clean it up quick so that neither of the dogs would cut themselves. I wrote this story so I wouldn't continue to yell at the poor little dog. He is still under the couch
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.