General Fiction posted March 14, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short story/ Found it

Afternoon hunt at Briarly Hall

by zanya


Lady Betsy watched through the study window. Her husband, Squire Alfred and his equerry, Mr Watt, soon disappeared from view to join the afternoon hunt. A brisk March breeze rattled the eaves of Briarly Hall.

Afternoon tea with the Dowager Edith, could be a tedious affair, especially if the conversation strayed towards the future of Briarly Hall. Lady Betsy was not always privy to her husband's longterm plans and felt at a distinct disadvantage in the Dowager's presence. Dowager Edith still did not wholeheartedly approve of her son, Squire Alfred's, choice of wife even after a quarter century.

'Lady Betsy, is all well within the household, you seem a tad distracted today, my dear?' The Dowager's high pitched tones irritated her listener.

'Do give my compliments to Mrs Ormsby, on the quality of this season's marmalade.' The Dowager continued.

'It will be my pleasure , Dowager Edith', Lady Betsy replied

Dowager Edith rose briskly from her study seat and grasping her cane and bonnet she went on her way.

'I dare say, Lady Betsy, we shall converse at a more convenient time', the Dowager said.

The rustle of Lady Betsy's afternoon tea dress was heard louder than usual in the servants' quarters as she hastened towards her husband's study.

Lady Betsy hoped she would not be disturbed and would find the letter she sought. Her husband was an irascible man and deeply resented allowing anyone, even family members into his private study.

'Historic documents and family secrets lie within these walls, ' Alfred shouted loudly at his new wife on her first arrival as mistress of the manor after their marriage.

Lady Betsy gave it little thought in the intervening years.

It was only on the occasion a few days ago when Mrs Ormbsy arrived to arrange Alfred's study that Lady Betsy became concerned.
Mrs Ormbsy knew every nook and cranny of the master's study, having worked at Briarly Hall before the arrival of Lady Betsy. Mrs Ormbsy treated the contents as if they were made of fine gold.

So it was to the great dismay of Lady Betsy when she noticed Mrs Ormbsy fleeing from the study just a few days earlier. Mrs Ormbsy was a meticulous housekeeper, leaving not a speck of dust behind, while not disturbing the order of documents and papers.

On seeing Mrs Ormbsy fleeing , distraught, from the master's study, Lady Betsy rushed towards the study door, to find it ajar. The master's study was never ajar. It was the equivalent of an interior sanctum. Lady Betsy took a peek inside. She did not wish to be found in her husband's study on his return.

Lady Betsy was not prepared for what she found.

It was clearly visible, the seal had been broken on the letter addressed to her husband.

The date was current, last month Feb 5th 1931. Her heart missed a beat. She read the words:'Je t'aime.. Alfred, .... elope'... She could not quite decipher the signature . It appeared to spell out Lady Beatrice. Use of the French language, since her husband was a devoted Francophile, would suggest a foreign liaison.

There was no one who bore the name of Lady Beatrice in their immediate circle.
Now Lady Betsy was returning, to the study, in the hope of resolving this deeply concerning mystery and finding the letter.

She pushed hard against the oak door. It creaked at first. If she could not gain entry she would be obliged to call Mrs Ormbsy and she didn't want to arouse any suspicion.

The handle refused to turn.
The afternoon sun was beginning to lower in the evening sky.

Edith had no choice but to call Mrs Ormbsy. The bell tinkled in the servants ' quarters.
Estelle, the newly hired maid soon appeared at the study door.

'Your Ladyship, can I be of assistance?' Estelle enquired.
Lady Betsy could feel an embarrassing flush in her cheeks.

'I need the key to the master's study, to reply to some urgent letters', Betsy answered. Why did she need to provide an excuse to this young house maid. She was annoyed at her own behaviour.

'Yes Ma'm, at your service, I shall see to it immediately,' Estelle answered with all the enthusiasm of a newcomer.
'I shall be right back, Your Ladyship.'

The seconds turned to minutes and the minutes to an hour and finally Estelle returned, large bronze key in hand.

Lady Betsy grabbed the key unceremoniously and turned it briskly in the lock. She slammed the door behind her and caught sight of the open letter . Having found what she was looking for, she lifted the letter and envelope and shoved both inside her bodice and left hastily.

Estelle was still standing staring at the study door. Lady Betsy had not anticipated meeting Estelle on exiting and forgot to conceal fully, the envelope containing the letter. The wax seal was clearly visible to the young house maid.

Lady Betsy heard her husband's voice downstairs as he returned, invigorated, from his hunting pursuits.

Lady Betsy hastened to her boudoir .She dare not read the letter now. So she carefully prised open her silver jewellery box. It contained her most precious pearls and diadems, family heirlooms. She placed the letter safely underneath, wax seal downward . Here it would be safe from prying eyes.

At the first opportunity she would acquaint herself with its disturbing contents.







Found It writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where your character found something that impacts his or her life. Maximum word count: 2,000 words.


Thanks to lynnkah for Love Letters
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.