Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 14, 2017 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cody becomes a Ball Fetcher

A chapter in the book Legs

Eye Candy

by Brett Matthew West




Background
Socialite Sharon Montoya's gruesome murder draws Cody in as a possible suspect...with good reason.
The inside of The Queens was as regally chic as its outside. Cody had never witnessed such an overwhelming display of wealth before. Marble statues of tennis players filled each corner of the lobby. Most of them held rackets in various positions.

Photographs and posters adorned the whitewashed walls. There was Rod Laver, Billie Jean King, and Jimmy Connors. Examining the full extent of the room, Cody even noticed a mural of Chris Everett winning Wimbledon staring back at him.

Of course, there was also Arthur Ashe, Ivan Lendl, Evonne Goolagong, and many others. Although Cody did not know who all these famous athletes were, they presented a definite sight to behold. Especially in a young boy's wide-eyed wonder.

Making his way across the inlaid marble floor filling the foyer, Cody found a round table containing the short, one-page, questionnaire the club used for all potential employees. On the wall overlooking the desk was a picture of Sharon Montoya. The brass plaque under her portrait identified her as the Founder and President of The Queens. To Cody, that was impressive.

"Whoa!" Cody thought to himself. He'd never encountered such an important dignitary before.

Little did he realize soon he would meet her in person. Plopping down in an overstuffed chair, Cody extracted an ink pen, with the name of the club imprinted on it in gold lettering, laying on top of the desk. He began filling out the form.

When he finished that, Cody stuffed the pen into the front pocket of his 501s. Rising out of the chair he'd been comfortably seated in, Cody knew he should not have pocketed the pen without asking if he could have it. But, the little kleptomaniac liked the color and how easily it wrote. So, he did. He knew better than take something that belonged to somebody else.

Noticing a young female at the Information Desk, he made his way to where she was seated.

"Hello!" she warmly greeted him as he approached, "You're cute! What's your name?"

"Cody," he answered her liking the sweet way she smiled at him.

"I'm Naomi," the female told him, "are you from Astatula?"

"Yep," Cody responded.

"You on Facebook?" Naomi wondered.

"I am Pinto10Y," Cody replied. The name was a direct question of his life as the poster boy for abuse in his home town of Palo Pinto before he was relocated to Astatula, "Facebook me some time."

Naomi smiled again. Cody wondered if she would actually contact him socially.

"Got your application all filled out?" she questioned him.

"Uh-huh." Cody responded.

"Okay then, Cody. All you have to do is take it down that hallway straight ahead of you. The one where the sign is hanging on the door. Miss Montoya will interview you down there," Naomi told him.

"Thanks," Cody said as he started to walk away from the Information Desk.

"Oh, and Cody," she called after him. "Don't worry. You're too cute not to get the position! Miss Montoya is going to like you!"

Cody hoped the petit brunette in the daffodil-printed dress was right. He liked The Queens...and he liked Naomi.

"Facebook me some time!" Cody called back to her. He really hoped she would.

A one-quarter inch thick oak-brown wooden sign hung on the front door of the office located at the far end of the hallway Naomi had directed Cody to travel. It read:

"OBSERVE ALL THE EYE CANDY YOU DESIRE! BUT, KEEP YOUR GRUBBY PAWS OFF THE MERCHANDISE!"

This was the first sight Cody beheld upon merrily arriving at his destination.

"Eye candy?" I wonder what that is?" Cody thought out loud to himself. He had never heard of such a treat before. Perhaps he would try some if he got a chance to engage in the delicacy.

The more Cody involved himself in activities happening in Astatula the more he grew to love the little town. A place where corn popped up in rows and longhorns made the best neighbors. Becoming a Ball Fetcher would also provide the diminitive Go Getter another opportunity to earn some pocket money. Cody liked to make the cash register ring, and Greenbacks possessed one of his most favorite colors of all

Wealthy and refined. These two adjectives described Socialite Sharon Montoya. Her money was Old Family oil. The Queens, her lifelong ambition. A handsome woman of thirty-five, Sharon Montoya made her living preying on the needs, wants, and desires of others. Especially those she found below her dignity. That was most other people.

Fashionably attired in her flowing Kuala Lumper Nightingale dress, and dangling teardrop-diamond bracelets circling her slender wrists, Sharon Montoya was a piece of work with a heart of stone! Swords crossed with her resulted in the life blood of her victims being drawn. Carrying herself prudently, she emitted power over all she encountered.

An elite member of the Who's Who Of Brazos County, Sharon Montoya built The Queens from a noble idea into the marvelous enterprise the operation became. With pride, she added each stunning feature of the 5-Diamon property to her collection, from the lighted tennis courts, to the enormous recreation center simply known as The Sharon. A pro shop, an equipment rental company, and an upscale restaurant specializing in courtside concierge service were included in the package.

With short-cut auburn beehive hairstyle and Tommy Hilfiger shades dominating her physical features, this was the woman Cody encountered as he walked into the office he'd been directed by Naomi to enter. He immediately noticed the woman's hawk-beak nose, close-set turquoise eyes, and long, expansive chin as he handed her his application.

Without a word, Sharon Montoya quickly snatched the form out of Cody's hand. Then, she gave him a slight smile. Cody thought the crack might actually break her face.

"Cody Schroder from Palo Pinto," she nonchalantly began.

"No, ma'am," Cody innocently corrected her, "I now live in Astatula."

Jabbing a sharp finger in the direction of his chest the venomous rattlesnake hissed, "You were procreated in Palo Pinto, were you not? There, you did reside under the watchful eye of Earl Anthony Schroder, who I knew very well thank you, did you not?"

Her comment surprised Cody. Before he could speak a word, she continued with, "Therefore, while you may take up residence in Astatula at the current moment, you are in fact from Palo Pinto. Do not undermine my authority again, Young Man! I do not tolerate insubordination from my underlings!"

Cody's mind returned to her comments about Earl Anthony Schroder and about being under his watchful care. He wondered how she knew him? He also would not have described his lift in Palo Pinto as being under his watchful care. Not by any stretch of the imagination. All he could think to ask was, "Does that mean I am now a Ball Fetcher?"

"That is what your application implies, is it not?" she softly purred. With a sudden, abrupt, change in her persona, Sharon Montoya told Cody, "Welcome to The Queens, Cody! I know you will enjoy your time here. Let's get started, shall we?"

Pushing herself away from her expensive desk, Sharon Montoya stated, "Follow me down to the uniform room, Cody. Time's a-wasting! I need you out on the courts."

Licking her finger, Sharon Montoya traced the length of Cody's nose saying, "My clientele only accepts young, adorably cute, boys like you." Then, she roared like a lioness in heat.

Mesmerized, and unable to help himself, Cody blushed.

Leading him to a nearby cubicle she instructed him, "All boys must change from their street-clothes into their white tennis outfits in this room only. You must also return your worn outfit at the end of each shift so that it may be laundered. Then, you shall obtain a new one at the start of your next shift. Every day, without fail. Noncompliance will result in automatic termination."

Cody understood her instructions. She warmly suggested, "Why don't you go in and prepare yourself? I'll return in a few minutes to show you the courts and get you started."

Cody entered the room where he found an assortment of tennis outfits laying neatly stacked on a table. He selected his proper size, looked around the room and noticed several other boys seated there in various states of undress. He found a space in front of an open locker and sat down. He only knew one of the other boys in the room, though not very well. He had seen him around Astatula Middle School, but did not know his name.

The boys exchanged friendly greetings while they dressed for their shifts. What none of them realized, not even Cody, was on the other side of a one-way mirror, Miss Montoya had gathered with a client. He seemed overly interested in their observations.

Gleefully clapping his hands together, the man assured her, "Once more you have outdone yourself with this Summer's crop. Very nice, Sharon. Very nice indeed!"

"I am honored that you approve," she quickly responded admitting, "they are a banner crop indeed. Especially the newest one, Cody Schroder."

"Oh yes! I have heard marvelous news about that one. So fit! So smooth! So shapely!" the voice sounded.

Reaching into the pocket of his windbreaker he extracted an envelop, "I proudly present your Finder's Fee, Sharon. All ten thousand dollars of it!"

Specifically viewing Cody's every movement, he cooed, "So very, very nice indeed! That one I most certainly must meet. Soon!"

"As you know my friend, that can easily be arranged," Sharon Montoya assured him as she stuffed the envelop into her shoulder bag, "I'm taking him out to centre court. Care to join us?"

"I shall follow where you lead, my Dear. Cody would certainly become a tasty morsel tonight!" he answered her.

***(This chapter takes Cody's character into a new direction. So...I am mainly looking for honest feedback: good, bad, or even ugly! from Cody's legion of fans. Would certainly help if you were familiar with Cody and his previous storyline.)







Cody becomes a Ball Fetcher but enters into a dangerous situation.






This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to complement all my Cody Schroder stories.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Cody Schroder stories.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.