Essay Non-Fiction posted March 3, 2017 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Are cross-state insurance sales the best solution?

A chapter in the book Breakfast With The Donald!

The Cross-State Insurance Debate

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Essays about the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump
One of The Donald's major thoughts about bringing down the cost of health insurance is to allow insurers to sell health care policies across state lines. Cross-state insurance is also popular with Conservative lawmakers, especially those who see state-level regulations demand consumers purchase coverage they do not need or particularly desire, and also raises the cost of health insurance.

Critics of the notion believe cross-state insurance is not likely to be more affordable. They also insinuate cross-state insurance would possibly undermine strong consumer protections, particularly in Hawaii and California. This, they claim, could also result in leaving elderly consumers unable to afford health coverage.

Sixty votes in the Senate would be required to pass legislation related to cross-state insurance. This means The Donald's plan would require some support from Democrats to pass. The odds of Trump receiving that necessary support appears to be highly unlikely.

Approximately 20 million American citizens who purchase their health insurance directly from insurers would be affected by Trump's cross-state policies plan. These health care plans are regulated as far as the minimum benefits that must be covered, and medical disputes between consumers and insurers are concerned.

The Affordable Health Care Act did raise the minimum standards for coverage nationwide. That remains one valid point of the AHCA. Republicans have promised for the longest time to repeal this Act and replace it. To date, they have nothing to replace it with.

David Jones, the Insurance Commissioner of California, stated, "The Trump proposal on cross-state sales would eviscerate (weaken) the ability of state legislatures and state governors to decide what the appropriate consumer protections are for their state's consumers and businesses."

Barbara Klever of the American Academy of Actuaries, responded, "Premiums really reflect the cost of care where an individual lives."

Joseph R. Antos, an Economist with the American Enterprise Institute, claimed, "The idea of cross-state health insurance has an instinctive appeal because Americans have seen competition drive down costs in other areas from credit cards to air travel. But, it's a faulty analogy when it comes to health insurance because where the competition needs to happen is among hospitals and doctors."

So, although the consideration of cross-state insurance sales has been around for a decade or more, experts believe it might not deliver as it promises it will.




Are cross-state insurance sales the best solution for replacing the Affordable Care Act?


No matter what your thoughts and feelings about Trump are feel free to state them in your reviews.

As American citizens, we all have the right to state our opinions. And, that is what this book is designed for. Getting people talking about The Donald.





Here I come To Save The Day, by Barb Baker, selected to complement my Essay.

So, thanks Barb Baker, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Essay.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.