Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 23, 2017 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Brief memory of my induction into the Army

A chapter in the book Family Poems and Stories 2010-2017

Last of the WACs

by Mustang Patty


I can remember clearly the day I decided to join the Army. I had just blown the engine in my car. I got fired from the cocktail waitress job I had because they found out I was just shy of 18. (Yes, back in 1976, 18 was the legal drinking age in New Jersey.) My mom was driving me crazy, and I just wanted to get out of Dodge.

Having taken the military equivalent of an IQ test a few months before, I ventured into the Army recruiting office and approached the sergeant behind the desk. As I was five foot, nothing, and weighing about 100 pounds, he barely gave me a glance. But his attitude changed when I told him I was interested in signing up.

His eyes looked surprised, but he didn't miss a beat. "We don't get many girls in here. I have a quota for three girls a month, and I rarely meet it. What makes you want to go in the United States Army?"

"I want to serve my country. I know the Vietnam war is over, but I know the military is just as important in peace time. I want to learn a trade and qualify for the G.I. bill. I need to get out of Jersey."

When I told him I had already taken the ASVAB*, he quickly made a call. He scheduled my physical and we talked about me leaving as soon as possible. My test results indicated I could have any job offered to women, and I let him know I just wanted the first slot available.

Within 5 days, I had a slot for basic training. They only gave me two days' notice. I packed the few things they suggested I bring, and waited for the recruiter to pick me up. My mom's tears didn't affect me as I got into his car and prepared for the first big adventure of my life.

My first airplane ride took me from Newark to Atlanta. Since the flight was arranged on such short notice, I flew first class. (That set me up for disappointment the next time I flew!)

Nine days before my eighteenth birthday, I was sworn into the Women's Army Corp,(WACs.) The drill sergeants let us know we were part of the last class of WACs -- from now on, it would just be 'women in the army.' I didn't know then how important it was to have that distinction, but over the years I've come to take pride in being the 'last of the WACs.'



Recognized


I've read a few other writer's memories of their time in the military. I wanted to share the pride I feel in having served. My late teens and early 20s were spent in uniform and I have a lot of great memories.

*ASVAB: The test the military uses for aptitude and practical skills.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.