Essay Non-Fiction posted February 19, 2017 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The North American Treaty Organization

A chapter in the book Breakfast With The Donald!

Editorial: Bedrock Or Obsolete?

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Essays about the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump
In Brussels, Belgium, an ultimatum was presented to American Allies to increase their military spending by the end of 2017 or see the United States conceivably curtail its defense support of the other 27 members of NATO.

"Americans can not care more for your children's future safety than you do," Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis informed the Defense Ministers of these North American and European countries. He added, "No longer can the American taxpayer carry a disproportionate share of the defense of Western values." And, why should they?

With Europe's deeply rooted uneasiness over possible US and Russian relations, the NATO Allies clung on to Mattis' every word. Or, so it appeared. Many of them clustered around the Secretary of Defense's televised first encounter with Jens Stoltenberg, the Secretary-General of NATO, as he spoke.

Without providing any details, Mattis additionally informed NATO Allies the United States will "Moderate its commitment to the alliance if those countries fail to fall in line."

Eastern European nations who feel threatened by Russian expansion are sure to strongly perceive this pressure from Mattis' comments. Like many others, they question The Donald's avoidance of criticizing Russia for its 2014 annexation of the Ukraine's Crimean Region. They are also unsecure after The Donald repeatedly heaped praiseful comments on Vladimir Putin, the Russian President.

For its part, Russia may well be testing America's resolve by recently firing a cruise missile in direct violation of a Cold War-era nuclear arms control treaty. Russia has also backed a separatist insurgency in the Ukraine, where sporadic violence has occurred.

Mattis then cited what he referred to as the "political reality in Washington," and a "fair demand," both apparent references to The Donald's "America First" manta (as well it should be.)

These Russian actions further prompted Mattis to warn NATO Allies they must produce a plan that establishes set dates for their governments to fund a military goal of two percent of their gross domestic product intake. This is the market value of all domestic goods and services they produce in a year's time.

The Donald has previously challenged the European nations. He has indicated America may not defend those Allies unwilling to meet their financial obligations as members of NATO. Granted, there are many European countries that are experiencing slow economies, and the belt-tightening that goes along with it, who seem hostile to being required to spend more on their militaries. But, if they are not willing to properly help defend themselves why should the full burden continue to constantly fall on the American taxpayer?

Statistics show that the United States committed 3.61 percent of its 2016 Gross Domestic Product on military spending. Eleven NATO countries spend less than 1.2 percent in that arena. Greece, who is debt-ridden, Estonia, Britain, and Poland are currently the only other NATO countries at the required 2.0 percent threshold or above.

So, once again I ask, "Is NATO "obsolete," as The Donald phrased his description of the alliance? Or, is it a "fundamental bedrock for the United States" as Secretary of Defense Mattis labeled the organization?"









Is NATO a bedrock the United States should continue to support or has it become obsolete?


No matter what your thoughts and feelings about Trump are feel free to state them in your reviews.

As American citizens, we all have the right to state our opinions. And, that is what this book is designed for. Getting people talking about The Donald.





Here I come To Save The Day, by Barb Baker, selected to complement my Editorial.

So, thanks Barb Baker, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Editorial.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.