Spiritual Non-Fiction posted February 12, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I remember with love.

Dear Dora

by gsnewton75

"David! Do you have your sack of Valentine Cards?"
"Yeah mom," he hollered running for the bus.

Running next to David, Michael yelled, "Mom did you get me a box of candy for Sandra?"

It was Valentine's Day once again. Kids from 1st grade to 5th grade would be excited to share, "Won't You Be My Valentine" cards, while candy and flowers would be delivered to those special gals from boyfriend admirers all over town.

The T.V. and radio ads tried to outdo each other with specials for those with love in their hearts to buy. Cupid was aiming his arrow with candy, cards, and flowers for that special someone. At home, husbands and wives were being extra nice to each other. Love was certainly the theme for a day. It was going to be another busy day for the card shops, candy stores, restaurants, malls, and cinemas.

It seemed to me it was too bad love wasn't shared the same every day like it was on Valentine's Day, but then I thought about those that were no longer together to celebrate like my brother Roy who was spending his first Valentine in heaven. I wanted to write to Dora, his wife but what do you say to someone that has lost the one they loved so much? She was his special Valentine and wife, that's for sure. I decided to write to her anyway and tell her how much I thought of Roy. He would have appreciated me for thinking of her, especially on this day. This would be my Valentine to her from us.

I began, Dear Dora,

While I was working on the last chapter of my book, my thoughts turned to Roy. I thought, since it will be your first Valentine's Day without him, maybe you'd like to read what I wrote about him. This is our Valentine to you.

I was writing about the time when I had to miss going to first grade due to rheumatic fever. Roy was in the Navy then and I often thought about him because he was so much fun to be around. I wrote, " Roy was my wonderful brother whom I respected, looked up to, and admired. When he came home from basic training, he brought me a toy to play with and tried to make me feel better. I got so mad as the illness would make me tired and I couldn't laugh and play very long. He was always my buddy whom I loved very much.

In the book, I wrote about a character from John Steinbeck's novel, "East Of Eden." I wanted to make a point about what a person's life can mean to those who knew him. In the novel, the character is philosophizing on life and says:

"A man after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well - or ill?"

Although I didn't know why he was taken home so quickly and peacefully after having surgery on a cancer-riddled pancreas, I was thankful the Lord had spared him the agony of suffering the pain that comes with the evasive tactics required to try and derail the disease. The Lord spared him the anguish of wondering when his last breath would come and took him home.

I wrote, Roy cared about others. He was faithful to our mother when she needed him the most. He was a devoted, protective, and loving husband to you. He was willing to reconcile his differences with family members who had drifted apart, he was proud to have me as his brother, and loved my family like they were part of his own. Roy's skills and talents benefited everyone who asked him to fix something. He did his work with the skill of an expert and took great pride in the finished product. His customers showed their satisfaction with a smile when he delivered their item they had brought him to fix. He was a very respected and respectful neighbor who never met a stranger. He would not lie, nor be a part of anything that was dishonest. His answers were the best he could give, like them or not. As Steinbeck's narrator in "East Of Eden" concluded each person, when looking back on his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: "Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well - or ill?"

I can testify, Dora that ROY did good. I can only pray he will be at peace forever in his big shop in the sky!

Love,
Your Brother

On this special Valentine's Day Dora, I want you to know you're not alone. We're all with you when you need us. One of my favorite poets, John Donne made two observations which are often quoted about death and isolation that I want to share with you, he said,

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful,
for thou are not so... death itself was not so much a terrible event to be
feared, he concluded, but more of an honor, a passing from the worst life
to a better one, something which was to be joyously anticipated...one short
sleep past, we wake eternally, and Death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die".
and on being alone he wrote,

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent,
a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind."

The point is this Dora, as a believer in Christ you will live forever and never walk alone. God is with us always. By His grace, may you find peace in knowing that Roy is at home waiting for you. May this day become a reminder to you that I love you and will be there if you need me. My love for you and Roy are forever, thanks be to Jesus whom we especially cherish for making our life eternal. He makes all things possible. Remember to smile when remembering all the good things we've experienced, knowing we'll all come together later. I will.

Yours In Christ,

George




Valentines Writing Contest contest entry


Wonderful things happen to those that believe. Peace and have faith in what you believe.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. gsnewton75 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
gsnewton75 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.