General Flash Fiction posted February 5, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
100-word contest entry

Bus Stop

by RodG


The yellow school bus made a slow left turn a block away and crept toward us.  I had Davy moving toward the curb before it stopped.

The driver smiled as we climbed aboard.

"Davy's my only passenger today," he said.  "Jerry's sick."

Sick or refusing to go to school? I wondered.


Davy stared mutely out the window as I strapped him in.

"Mrs. Dixon's waiting for you, sweetie.  You'll have fun, and we'll make cupcakes when you come home."

"Don't worry, Mrs. G.  I'll get him in her arms safely.  He'll be fine."

But mothers of autistic children always do.



100 Word Dash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Take flash fiction to the extreme. Can you tell a complete story in just 100 words. If so, this is your opportunity to shine. The story can be about any subject you wish, creative approaches are of course encouraged. All stories must have the following: Main Character, Setting, Conflict, Resolution.


The clipart is courtesy of Google images.

Most school districts have special schools and/or special services for students with special needs. Autistic children have special needs and therefore qualify. Oftentimes, these children will take a special school bus when they are four or five.

This story is dedicated to the bus drivers who are "special" in their own right because they take are so compassionate and always make sure their charges reach their respective teachers safely and bring them home again.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.