Fantasy Science Fiction posted January 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie and Koko try to escape in the orchestrated confusion.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

A Moonlit Flight

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


Background
Archie and Koko try to get out of the Hawk house and make their way to the back of the Coyote house where they have hidden their packs, and where they are to meet Sani.
End of Last Chapter:

"Wait, I hear someone coming," Koko whispered. "Archie, we're going to get caught if we stay. Just bring the book with us."

"Okay," Archie said, heading for a side door and pulling Koko behind him.

"That's Junior," Koko said as they shut the door and pressed against the wall. "I'm sure of it."

"How do you know?"

"The sound of his footsteps. Everyone in Hokee knows that dreaded sound."



The story continues:


"Are they that distinctive?"

"Everything about Junior is. He struts around like a, I don't know, what kind of animal struts?"

"We'd say, in our world, peacock."

"Okay, peacock then. Are they fierce creatures?"

"I don't think so."

Koko was about to comment on how all animals were terrible, when she was interrupted by Junior crying out in anger -- he had discovered the mess in his office.

"Why didn't he leave with the others to check out the explosion?" Koko asked.

"Because he's a coward. That's why he hides in this extravagant house, behind a flashy desk, and gets Cougar kin to do his dirty work. Let's go."

"Wait," Koko said, digging her heels in. "I've changed my mind. It sounds like Junior's alone. Why don't you just go in there and punch him like you did the other guy in the hall?"

"Because I had the element of surprise on that one, Koko. I would have to confront Junior directly, and I'm not sure I can take him without drawing attention. We're not certain how many people are still in the house, and I don't need to remind you that our main goal is escape."

"I have to find Todd."

"No, you have to honor Todd's wishes, and get you and the baby out of Hokee. We'll stick with our original plan and head for the San Juan Mountains. You said Sani has a general idea of where Mine City is. We'll have to trust him."

"Okay, I guess you're right, maybe Sani can use the book you already have."

Archie nodded, and grabbed Koko's hand, lending what support he could. She stepped away from the wall, pausing to take a backward look at Junior's office, almost as though she would find Todd standing there watching. When she turned back around, she was ready to face the task ahead. Resolute, she headed out with Archie.

*****

"Follow me," Koko said once they were outside. "I don't need much light. The full moon is enough for any of Hokee's people."

"Hufacs?"

"Yeah, Hufacs, but that's sort of a derogatory term."

"Sorry."

"That's okay. You didn't know. Come on, I know a shortcut to the fence behind Coyote House."

Archie nodded and followed Koko down a small pathway. He was amazed at her agility and speed as she picked her way through the vegetation, following a trail he couldn't even see.

In the distance, the sounds of bleating sheep and screaming people mixed with the acrid odor of explosives and fire. Archie felt the blast had been a bit overdramatic, but figured Sani had his reasons. He intended to ask him about it later.

Koko paused as they reached the perimeter fence. She reached out and ran her hand along the wood as though searching for something.

"What are you looking for?" Archie asked.

"We're behind Coyote House now," she said. "Sani clipped the wires with a metal tool just before we parted company. You can't see the break from the distance, but when we find it, we can separate the fence to get out."

"What about our bags?"

"They're just over the fence in some brush."

"Okay." Archie ran his hand across the fence like Koko, wondering how soon they would find the break, and why the pair hadn't marked the spot better. Were the Cougar sentinels that diligent? Surely escape wasn't attempted often.

"I found it," Koko said. "Come help me push it open."

Archie made his way to the shadowy figure of his partner and leaned his shoulders against the thick logs. With Koko, he inched the fence outward until they created a space large enough for two people to pass through.

"After you, my dear." Archie swept a hand toward the opening.

"Oh, please," Koko said. "Come on. I see our bags by the brush."

Archie stepped forward, but was halted by the crack of a stick behind him.

"We're being followed." Archie grabbed Koko by the arm and thrusted her behind him.

"Stop now," a female voice ordered.

Archie, ever quick and resourceful, shot an arm out, caught their pursuer around the neck, and slung her to the ground. He dropped to his knees and pinned an arm painfully behind her back.

"Who are you?" Archie's voice grew deep and raspy, and he leaned into the hold.

"Get off of me, it's Ayala," an angry voice shot back.
.
"Ayala? What're you doing here?"

"That's exactly what I was going to ask you." Ayala struggled beneath Archie's firm grip. "Now, let me up."

"No, you'll try to stop us."

"From what?"

"Escaping, Ayala." Koko knelt on the ground beside her sister and stroked her amber hair.

"Why are you doing this?"

"It's complicated. Why don't you come with us?"

"No! Are you crazy?"

"Not at all. I have my reasons. I would really like you to go with us, but if you're not, at least turn your head and act like you don't see us go."

"I can't. It's my job to keep discipline in the house. Koko, your know that."

"You need a new job," Archie said. He continued to apply just enough pressure to keep her from getting up. "Koko, I have a bed sheet in my bag, please hand it to me. I'm tying up your sister until we can get out of here."

"You can't just leave her here in the dirt. We're outside the fence. There are animals and insects everywhere."

"Then what do you suggest I do? She'll go to the Hawks or Cougars if we let her go."

"Why don't we just bring her with us?"

"She said she doesn't want to go, and we've got enough challenges without bringing one of them with us."

"You're right, I want to stay here, you idiots."

"Do you really?" Koko asked. "That's not what you used to say when we were little. You were just like me then -- you questioned things."

"Most kids do at some point, but then they grow up and get common sense."

"Common sense? Is that what you call oppression? Well, common sense has failed me, Ayala, and it's failed Todd too. Come on Archie. Gag her and bring her with us. She'll thank us in the end."

"Okay, if that's what you want," Archie said shrugging his shoulders. He stuffed a wad of cloth in Ayala's mouth and secured it with another length of material.

Against muted protests from the head of Coyote House, he tossed Ayala over his shoulder and stood to his feet.

"Okay, Koko, lead us to your miner friend."

"That won't be necessary," came a deep, penetrating voice.

Turning his head, Archie saw a small wizened man standing in the moonlight. A tuft of gray hair rested on his head in hopeless disarray, and a thick white beard graced his chin. He was adorned in baggy clothes cinched about the waist with a length of rope. On his feet were large tattered boots almost too big for his diminutive frame. He appeared as ancient as the desert itself, but in his old eyes burned a flame that drew Archie in.

"I'm Sani," the stranger said, shooting out a hand. "I'm glad to finally meet you."



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Moonlit Scenic 5" by BRUCEIORIO

Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was traveling the west, scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on, when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group from a cult-like village called Hokee. In this town, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.

The children, as young as 5, are placed in houses named after animals, but otherwise taught animals are dangerous and unclean. Each "house" has a particular job in the community based on the attributes of the representative animal.

The leader, Leander, chooses what children are brought to the village. He doesn't want anyone to know about the compound so they can maintain isolation. Archie is now a prisoner, but has befriended a young lady, Koko, whose husband has come up missing, and is assumed imprisoned in a penal mining colony.

Working against odds, the two hope to escape and protect Koko's unborn child. Having babies at stage one of the experiment is forbidden by the scientists in charge. Teens are sterilized at puberty to avoid pregnancies, but occasionally one will be conceived. Standard operating procedure is to perform an abortion, but Koko is willing to fight against all she's grown up to believe to give her child a chance at life.

These are the 12 houses of Hokee:

Hawk: Where Leander Jr. lives. They are the strict rulers of the compound, answerable only to Leander Sr..

Cougar: The strong arms of the Hawks. They dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.

Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors. Allowed more knowledge of the "outside world".

Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat and fur animals outside the village

Tarantula: Architects, and menders

Donkey: Transportation and communication

Wasp: Prepare and serve food

Deer: Sports and entertainment

Hare: Make and distribute clothing

Rat: Childcare

Snake: healthcare

Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Sani: Old man. Used to be a miner up north. Another trapped refugee from the desert. An ally in the quest to escape.

Leander: Head scientist in charge of the structure of Hokee. His son, Leander, is in charge of daily operations.

Junior: Leander's son, who lives in the Hawk house. He's personally a coward, but rules Hokee with an iron fist.

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.