General Flash Fiction posted January 7, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Dementia seen in its early stages

The Man in the Park

by RodG


He'd wandered into the park, one foot leading the other instinctively. The bench by the pond looked vaguely familiar. It was unoccupied, so he sat.

In the near distance a playground with an old Merry-go-round caught his attention. A young child ran beside it, pushing it, her hands clasping a metal rail. She hopped aboard, laughing.

The man chuckled, too, unsure why.

The cold autumn wind nipped at the back of his neck. He pulled up his jacket's collar. Grunted.

A scruffy dog trotted down the asphalt path and paused before the man.

"I know you?" the man asked, scratching the animal behind its ears.

The dog licked his hand.

"Got a name?" The man grinned. "Mine's . . . uh . . . ?"

A searching look flit across his rheumy eyes. His jaw dropped.

He saw the dog, but somehow his thoughts were muddled . . . again. In lucid moments he knew he was changing into an old man who couldn't hold on to a memory from one breath to the next.

The dog stared up at the man and gave the hand another lick.

"Wha--?"

He gave more scratches. His mind had not forsaken him entirely.

But the child laughed and the dog left.



200 Word Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story of 200 words. not including the title. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 200 words.

Recognized


Picture is courtesy of Google images.

Apple Pages 200 words exactly.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.