Fantasy Science Fiction posted January 3, 2017 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie decides to find the source of raised voices.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

Koko's Secret

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Archie hears raised voices on the floor beneath him. Having fixed his door where he could escape, he decides to go investigate.
Archie crept toward a ladder-like staircase, his senses on high alert. He could smell the earthy odor of dirt walls, feel unexpected coolness in the air, and hear the whoosh of wind entering paneless windows. Technology, he decided, was only necessary when you distanced yourself from nature. Maybe the people of Hokee had one thing right.

Turning backward, he grasped a rope rail and climbed to the level below. Once there, he proceeded to the room where he was certain he had heard loud voices. He leaned his head against the roughly hewn wooden door and listened.

At first, there was nothing but silence. Archie pictured the combatants sitting in neutral corners between rounds. He waited with the patience he assumed the Tarantula Clan possessed.

Then the two pugilists began again... pugilists he recognized.

"I'm going to ask you one more time, Koko," Ayala said. "Where have you been, and what have you been doing? And, please, don't tell me another ridiculous story about your research."

"I have been working late," Koko said, frustration obvious in her strained voice, "and I have been doing research."

"That's never stopped you from reporting to me before. I'm afraid this behavior will have to be reported to the Hawk Kin."

"Why?" Koko asked. "Why should we tell them anything? They aren't our friends. They do nothing but punish us. It isn't fair."

"Koko, don't you know that type of talk will only get you sent to the mines?"

"By who, you... my sister? Being in charge of this house has changed you, Ayala, and not in a good way. You can't turn on me... not to them."

"I don't want to. It's just that it's my job to run this house, and you're disobeying its rules."

"By working late?"

"No, by talking against the Hawks, and by hiding whatever it is you are trying to hide from me."

"Well, what do you think that is?" Koko asked, turning the tables.

"I don't know, maybe you're planning an escape with those stupid Ants you're always hanging around."

"Is that what you're upset about, that I'm talking to the Ant Kin? That's definitely not against the rules, big sister."

"I know it's not, but the Ant people are unclean, and you have been spending more and more time with them lately. You say I've changed... well you have, too."

"Don't worry about me," Koko said. "I'm not cheating on Todd. I'm just getting research for my book. You know how I get wrapped up in my work. You're the same way."

"Why the Ant Kin?"

"That's the exciting part. The Ant people visit the desert every day to care for their animals. I get them to take samples of plants and describe the environment. That's all. They're really happy to help me. Now stop worrying and go back to bed. You've got a new professor to train, and if you want my opinion, he's just what you need."

"What do you mean?"

"You know, for a husband."

"That's not going to happen. He's an outsider," Ayala stuttered, obviously taken aback, "and, besides, he hasn't been sterilized."

"Then send him to the Snake Kin clinic tomorrow. They can do the surgery right there in the office, and then he'll be safe to marry."

Archie stifled a gasp as he continued to listen. He was surprised that that these two young women could throw such an important decision around without thought for his desires. It was apparent oppression took many faces in Hokee.

"Koko, stop trying to change the subject. I'm not here to discuss my marital status," Ayala said, to Archie's extreme relief. "The issue is your unacceptable behavior."

"I've done nothing wrong."

"If what you're saying is true, neither of us have anything to worry about, little sister, but I'm not convinced. Please make sure you report to me daily."

"Of course I will," Koko said.

"Then I'll go. if you change your mind and want to talk, you know the way to my room."

"I do," Koko ended sadly. "I shared it with you for fifteen years."

"Good night," Ayala said, and then Archie heard her footsteps approaching the door.

He slipped behind a corner and waited for the Headmistress to leave. Maybe Koko didn't feel comfortable telling her secret to Ayala, but Archie hoped she wouldn't feel the same way about an outsider.

As soon as Ayala disappeared down the stairs toward, what he guessed, was her room, he went to the small wooden door and knocked.

"Who is it?" Koko asked. Her voice sounded tired and worried.

"Archie."

"What're you doing here?" Koko cracked the door open and peeked out. "You're supposed to be in your room."

"I don't follow rules very well," Archie said, putting his hand on the door and gently pushing, "and I need to talk -- we need to talk."

"Ayala wouldn't like this," she said, allowing Archie to press the door in further.

"She would like it even less if she knew your secret.

"What do you mean?" Koko reached out and pulled him across the threshold. Her eyes betrayed deep concern.

"Ayala may have missed the meaning of your loose clothing and upturned nose at the food tonight, but I didn't."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Really?" Archie said, closing the door behind him. "I think you do, and it's nothing to be ashamed of."

"I'm not the least bit ashamed," Koko said, her eyes meeting Archie's. "I'm excited, enthralled, captivated, and proud...but I'm also afraid. If anyone in Hokee figures out what you just did, then my baby is doomed. I can't let that happen."

"How far along are you?" Archie asked, sitting in a chair Koko waved him to.

"I don't know. There are no books on pregnancy in Hokee, and very few whom I trust enough to discuss the subject. I'm guessing I'm about five or six months. I've been feeling the baby kick for weeks now, and am having to be very creative hiding my growing belly."

"You won't be able to do that much longer," Archie said. "What are you going to do about it?"

Koko hesitated, and looked down at her hands. A single tear fell down a face that was struggling to be brave. She hesitated a moment, then seemed to come to a decision.

"Todd and I were planning on trying to escape in a few days. We were going to slip out at night and go across the desert, but now that he's gone missing, I don't know what I'll do."

"So that's why you are doing research on edible foods of the desert? Very smart."

"That's part of it. I mean, the topic has always fascinated me, but then when I knew I had to get away, I began to study more earnestly."

"And what if Todd has gone to the mines? What will you do then?"

"I really don't know, but I'm not going to let them take my baby," Koko said, looking up again with determination. "If I can't find Todd, then I'll leave on my own. You aren't going to tell Ayala are you?"

"Of course not, my dear, I plan to go with you."

"But you'll put yourself in terrible danger."

"The deer who ran in front of my Ferrari did that for me."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the wreck I was in didn't end when the car rolled to a stop. My whole life has been a disaster ever since, and, Koko, I'm not one to take adversity lying on my back. I'm sure not good at waiting for others to make my decisions for me. I'm guessing you aren't either."

"Not any more."

"Good, then I have a plan I've been working on. See what you think."



Recognized


Thank you for the artwork, "The Robber" waits by willie. Nice insect!

Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was out scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group of people from a cult-like village called Hokee.
In Hokee, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.
The leader, Leander, choses what babies are brought to the village, and doesn't want anyone to know about the place so they can maintain their isolation. So, Archie is now a prisoner.
There are 12 houses in Hokee, each named after a desert creature. The jobs of the people in the houses is supposed to reflect the qualities of the animals.

Strangely, the people are taught to fear and despise animals, in spite of a need for meat and wool.

The Hawks, where Leander Jr. lives, are the rulers and are very exacting.

The Cougars are the strong arms of the Hawks, and dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.

Houses:
Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors
Hawk: Ruling clan. Houses Leander Jr. Not to be trifled with
Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat animals outside the village
Tarantula: Architects, and menders
Donkey: Transportation and communication
Wasp: Prepare and serve food
Deer: Sports and entertainment
Hare: Make and distribute clothing
Cougar: Policing force; muscle for the Hawk Kin
Rat: Childcare
Snake: healthcare
Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.