Fantasy Science Fiction posted December 11, 2016 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie meets Ayala's sister, Koko.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

Humanity Project -- Koko

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Archie is allowed to meet other people in Hokee, starting with Ayala's best friend, Koko. There he learns more about their culture. He's not impressed.
End of last chapter:

"And all of you choose to stay of your own free will?" Archie pressed.

"Of course. The cause is noble, and none of us would be alive if Leander had not intervened."

"It's not right to put such a price on saving a person's life," Archie contended. "If rescuing a person gave ownership, then we would all be slaves to someone."

"I see your point, but Leander has a charter from your government granting him this authority, morally right or not. Apparently the problem is severe enough to warrant drastic measures. If it means sacrificing some of the comforts of modern society, then it is a small price to pay for the ultimate survival of our species. I wish you could understand how important our mission is. It would make your life here more pleasant."

"Freedom is another noble cause, one worth dying for."

"If you try to escape, it might come to that."


The story continues the next day:

"This is the dining hall," Ayala said the next evening as she and Archie entered a broad open room filled with tables and chairs. "It's where you'll be taking your meals now that you're better. The food is prepared by members of the Wasp Kin, who leave their house and go to each of the other 11 houses to cook. They are experts at making the most of simple fare."

"It smells heavenly," Archie said as they slipped into the serving line. He'd slept most of the day, much as he had since arriving at Hokee, and now felt rested enough to confront his situation. This time he was prepared with a new strategy, and was determined to appear as complacent as his hostess.

Archie smiled at Ayala. "Who did you say made the food?"

"The Wasp Kin," Ayala repeated, pointing toward the workers behind a long food-bearing counter. There, Archie saw an array of slender women with shiny black hair tidied up into matronly buns -- serious looks planted on small pinched faces.

"Do each of your houses have specific jobs?" Archie asked, trying not to stare at the austere women.

"Yes, we do," Ayala said. She was glad the young senator seemed to be adjusting. She touched his arm to show her appreciation of his attitude change.

"What is the specialty of the Coyote House people?"

"Coyote Kin," Ayala corrected with a tolerant smile. "Our adults are teachers and professors, like myself. The young ones are in training to become educators."

"Quite interesting." Archie suppressed the urge to point out the lack of personal choice in this plan. He was determined to appear rehabilitated.

"I'm glad you feel that way, because I went to Hawk House today while you slept and talked to Leander Junior about what you did for a living in your old life. He was quite excited, and agreed you should join me as a professor at the University. He said we could use someone to teach law. Of course, you'll have to study our laws first, but I'm sure it won't take you long."

"Leander Junior?" Archie interrupted. "There are two of them?"

"Sort of. Junior actually lives here in Hokee, and is our immediate Governor. He's the head of the Hawk House, which is our governing body."

"I thought the scientists were in charge."

"They're who the Hawk Kin report to."

"You'd think Junior would want me to be a part of that house, then, given my history in leadership."

"I'm glad he didn't," Ayala gasped as though Archie had spoken a sacrilege. "The Hawks might be our leaders, but no one really likes them. You're way too nice to be one of them."

"So," Archie observed, "Paradise has a snake in it."

"Perhaps," Ayala said, and then paused, changing the subject. "So, what do you think of the food?"

"It looks wonderful," Archie commented, allowing his hostess to take a verbal retreat, and then followed her to a table and sat down.

"I would love to teach your people law," Archie said, drawing a raised eyebrow from Ayala.

"Great," she said, "I'll have some books sent to your room after supper. Maybe you can be ready by next week."

"Go ahead and plan for it," Archie said. He figured cult members were so used to being fed information they were pleasantly easy to fool.

"I do hope you'll enjoy the food. The Hawks say it's better than anything they've eaten on the outside. They're the only ones allowed out to trade outside the village."

"What do you trade with?"

"We use gold and silver mined in our other settlement to buy whatever goods we can't make here."

"Like what?"

"Cotton, sugar, metal, things like that," Ayala quoted. "Of course the Hawks aren't allowed to go off by themselves. They're well monitored by the scientists. It would be terrible for their great experiment to become contaminated with outside views."

"We wouldn't want that to happen," Archie said. He suppressed a shudder at his own faked indifference, and wondered if he was pulling off the ruse.

"The Hawks know if they slip up and do something stupid, they'll either be banned from travel outside, or sent to Mine City as punishment. They definitely don't want that, as Hawks are given rough treatment in the mines."

"Mine City? Is that the name of your other settlement? It sounds like a prison."

"That's pretty much what it is, or so I'm told. No one who goes is allowed to return."

"Harsh."

"Yeah, well, it's one reason we do what we're told."

Archie couldn't help a scowl creeping onto his face. He hid it, but not before Ayala noticed. She didn't say anything, but her eyes betrayed suspicion. Archie shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah," Ayala said, then looked around the room as though searching for someone. Archie looked, too, his eyes scanning the room curiously.

There were about twenty people seated around circular tables, some finishing up their meals and others just beginning. They were chatting casually, as though in no particular hurry, as people often do at the end of a workday. The whole bunch seemed very healthy to Archie -- well fed, but no one overweight. They had a vigorous glow to their skin and hair, and their eyes were bright with life. There were very few children and no family units. While happy, they seemed disjointed, like kids left alone to raise themselves.

"Oh, look, Koko's here," Ayala said. "She's a science professor, and the closest thing I have to a real sister. We came here to Hokee at the same time and always shared a room until last year when she got married. Come on, we'll sit with her and Todd."

"You're allowed to get married here?"

"Of course, why wouldn't we?"

Archie didn't bother to answer. He felt he had awakened from his wreck in an alternate universe, one where nothing made sense, and that he was the only person who noticed.

"You'll love Todd," Ayala continued as though not noticing. "He's the male head of our household and works at the high school as a math teacher. He's all energetic like you."

"Lead on," Archie said, getting up and following Ayala. "I would love to meet someone with my mind-set."

"I said energy, not attitude," Ayala said, raising a discerning eyebrow again.

"Hi, Koko," Ayala called out, greeting a young lady who sat alone at a table. Like Ayala, Koko wore a very simple dress with muted colors, much as one would expect to be worn in a desert compound. "I haven't seen you in days. What have you been up to?"

"Oh, hi," Koko said, her eyes flickering over inquisitively at Archie. "I'm sorry, but I've been working late in the lab -- research, you know. I came in here earlier with the little ones, but didn't eat. I was waiting for Todd to get here."

"Where is he?"

"I don't know, but it's not like him to be late for supper."

"Maybe there was a meeting at the high school. They're probably making plans for their football games."

"Those don't start until fall," Koko said, "and they already have their summer program worked out. No, I'm afraid it's something worse."

"I wouldn't overreact. I'm sure he'll explain it to you tonight when he gets here."

"You're probably right," Koko agreed, her voice betraying concern.

"Well, anyway, I've missed you," Ayala said as she and Archie sat down. "I'd like you to meet someone."

"I noticed you had company," Koko said, her eyes fluttering back to Archie. "Where did you find him?"

"You really have been deep in research haven't you?" Ayala said. "This is the guy we rescued from the desert three days ago."

"I heard something about a wrecked car," Koko said, her brow knitted in concentration, and making her look a lot like Ayala, "but I didn't realize we had a new visitor because of it."

"That's because he's been keeping a low profile," Ayala explained. "I was waiting for Junior to make a decision on what to do before we went public, but I'm surprised Todd didn't say something to you about it. He was one of the men who helped carry him from the desert."

"No, he didn't say a thing," Koko said. "He's been distracted the last few days. That's one reason I'm so worried."

"People get that way sometimes," Ayala said. "As I said, I wouldn't worry."

"You would, too. You worry about as much as I do, big sister."

"We were born on the same day." Ayala chuckled, sharing what seemed to be a familiar joke.

"Yes, but, according to Leander, you were born first."

"You two are twins?" Archie asked, sitting down and noting, once more, the obvious similarity between the two young women.

"I don't think so," Ayala replied. "Leander says he got us from different orphanages, but we always liked to pretend we were."

"My guess is that you are," Archie said, "no matter what your Leander has to say about it."

"I guess we'll never know," Ayala said, her tone ending the conversation. Archie guessed Ayala was used to having the last word on things.

"So, what's your friend's name?" Koko asked, looking at Archie with a direct gaze now. Archie noticed that she had a pile of untouched food on her plate.

"I'm Archimedes Franklin," Archie responded, holding out a hand to shake. "You can call me, Archie."

"Thanks," Koko responded, returning his handshake firmly. "Are you the Archie Franklin -- son of President?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Wow, I can't believe it. A real celebrity, right here in Hokee. How long will you be staying?"

"We'll talk about it later," Ayala said.

"What do you mean?" Koko demanded, her demeanor changing. "You can't keep Archie here like the others. There will be repercussions."

"It's not our call. So, how's your research going?"

"Good, good," Koko said, her voice changing tone, but her soft brown eyes revealing inner conflict; "just a lot of work right now. I'm writing a book on edibles of the desert."

"Why?" Ayala asked. "It's not like we don't have plenty to eat here."

"That's true, but you never know what might happen. We get some pretty bad storms sometimes, and one could hit that totally wipes out our homes. We would need to know what to eat in order to survive."

"You and your disaster theories." Ayala shook her head indulgently.

"You might scoff now, but one day you'll thank me for my theories and research."

"I would love to see your work," Archie interrupted. "My parents are both scientists, and I grew up in a home rich in all sorts of research."

"Then I would welcome your opinions," Koko said, glad to see that at least one person appreciated her work. "I don't have many colleagues who understand what I do."

"I'll bet," Archie said. "So, are all the women in Hokee as smart and beautiful as you two?"

"Uh, oh," Koko giggled. "We've got a charmer on our hands."

"He's a politician," Ayala reminded her. "He's used to talking smoothly to get his way."

"Not true," Archie said, taking a bite of food so delicious he couldn't believe he had gotten it in a remote village in the desert. "I'm just an admirer of beauty, and a man not afraid to speak his mind -- nothing more."

"In that case," Ayala continued, "I'll answer your question. Most of the people here, both women and men, are healthy and well proportioned. You might even say we exhibit a number of qualities we've heard the general public considers attractive. It's the part of the experiment that gives Leander and the other scientists the most pride. It validates their purpose."

"That makes sense," Archie agreed in a voice that seemed to defy his words. Ayala cut narrowed eyes over to him and frowned.

"All experiments have to have subjects," she reminded him. "Ours just happen to be human."

"I'm not arguing," Archie said, and then turned to look at Koko. "So, why are you so worried about your husband? I would think there's very little danger he could get into here in Hokee. From what I've been able to see, there aren't any ruffians roaming the streets."

"He's been having dreams again," Koko said, her voice dropping to a whisper. Her eyes stared blankly at the plate she had barely touched.

"The ones about animals?" Ayala said.

"Yeah," Koko said with an involuntary shudder. "He told Dr. Henry about them, and he said he wouldn't report it to the Hawks since Todd's been taking his medicine, but who knows?"

"I know you can't ever trust the Snake Kin," Ayala said, looking over at Archie. "The Snake kin are responsible for our healthcare system here in Hokee. They're good and patient people, but are quick to turn you into the Hawks or Cougars if they think they've got a good story."

"I know. I told him not to tell, but he wouldn't listen," Koko said. "He assured me he would ask the doctor to increase his anxiety medicine dosage."

"Was he having nightmares?" Archie asked, looking up from his diminishing plate of food.

"Yes. They started about six months ago, but after receiving medicine, had just about gone away until the other night."

"What does he dream?" Archie asked.

"Nothing distinct. I mean, it's not like the animals were attacking him or anything, but they're just there...always there."

"Why is that a problem?" Archie asked, looking back and forth between the women in obvious confusion. "Is he scared of animals?"

"Of course," Koko said, looking at Archie like he was a leper. "Isn't everyone?"

"I'm not," Archie said. "I love animals -- all kinds. I'd have a bunch of them for pets, but I travel too much. Maybe once I settle down and get married, I'll get a dog or something."

"But they carry diseases," Ayala insisted, her voice cracking with shock. "They are unclean."

"True," Archie said, "but they're also soft and cuddly. Man's best friend, you know."

"No, I don't know," Ayala said, "and I don't want to, either. Leander has banned animals of all kind from our village, except those used for food, and they're kept in pens outside. He says animals are the leading cause of death in the United States. They are one of the factors that make our species weak. Not only has mankind become dependent on them for tasks he should be performing himself, but they can also attack without provocation... and they eat babies."

"They do not," Archie argued, "I think more children are actually saved by animals than killed by them. They're good and safe companions when cared for."

"Well, your people still rely on them for work you should be doing yourself. You can't argue with that," Ayala said.

"My dear ladies," Archie said, looking back and forth between the two scandalized women, "we haven't used animals for much more than companionship for decades. Now, if you want to say the same thing about technology, then I would definitely back you, but animals? No, they're just our friends."

"Well, they aren't ours," Koko said, "and I think we are stronger for it. I can't imagine a life with them in it."

"Apparently your husband can," Archie countered, drawing a gasp from both women.

"Don't say that," Koko pleaded, tears rushing to her eyes. "He's not crazy."

"I'm not saying he's crazy," Archie insisted. "If anything, I would say his basic human need to love and care for things is expressing itself in a very healthy way."

"Unfortunately, our people don't feel the same way," Ayala said. "I mean, Coyote Kin are a little more open-minded than some of the others in Hokee, we're all about studying and learning, but I'm afraid none of us will ever make peace with unclean creatures."

"Why do you name yourselves after them if you hate them so much?" Archie asked. "I mean, you are the Coyotes, the Wasps cook your food, and the Snakes give you medicine. Who knows what other animals you have as house names?"

"We have twelve houses," Ayala reminded him. "I told you that before, but we don't like the animals. It's like we're named after that which we have defeated. They were once the warriors of the Earth, and now we are, and so we celebrate those victories by using their names. We have incorporated their strengths into our lives and then dismissed them."

"That doesn't make a bit of sense," Archie insisted.

"Well, it is our way," Ayala said. "In order to strengthen our species, we have to completely destroy all that would make us weak."

"Do you really believe that?" Archie asked as he finished his plate and pushed it away.

"She has to," Koko said, with the slightest hint in her voice that she didn't completely agree, "or they'll send her to the mines."

"Well, our independence from animals has made us strong," Ayala said.

"And I think the human spirit is what strengthens us," Archie countered. "If you suppress that, then you weaken the heart, no matter what you do to make the body strong, and that is my belief."

"Then we will have to agree to disagree," Ayala said, smiling again. "And for now, you've had enough exertion -- back to bed with you."



Recognized


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.